If only I'd warned...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Chaddy

Re: If only I'd warned...

Post by Chaddy »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:57 am Just wish I'd also warned of the inevitability of problems arising from a cross-country border between Eire and NI.

Oh hang on a second...
A friend of mine in the UK says he has not been as busy in his manufacturing business in its 52 years of existance.Sounds OK but big problem! he just can not get staff.He pays above the minimum wage,plenty of overtime,is willing to train people up for the job.
So its not only farmers who have the problem :(
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And Yet.... " The Office for National Statistics said the unemployment rate fell to 4.9% in the three months to February, representing about 1.7 million people "

The number is probably a little less now with Places reopening.

But I would think there are still over a Million People unemployed.
Last edited by trevnhil on Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Wetherspoons boss and staunch brexiteer Tim Martin, instead of furloughing his staff he laid them off and told them to get a job at Tesco, he is having the same problem.
What a Berk
David
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:26 am And Yet.... " The Office for National Statistics said the unemployment rate fell to 4.9% in the three months to February, representing about 1.7 million people "

The number is probably a little less now with Places reopening.

But I would think there are still over a Million People unemployed.
Yes,so many people relying on benefits and welfare so why is there a genuine shortage of workers in the UK.I have my own theories but it would start another debate.
But one reason my friend said he had for the shortage was that it is not fashionable for youngsters to work in an old Victorian factory on a production line these days...does not do their image any good with their mates and girl friends.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Last year there was a drive to recruit an 'army' of people to work on the harvest etc. Sure enough, thousands volunteered as it would get them out of the house and into the fresh air. Sadly, once they realised that the work was hard and monotonous they disappeared.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

But Liz truss has just won a deal with Mexico worth 10 million a year, selling them British pork, that should help claw back the 2 billion over the next hundred years or so lol
David
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If only you'd bother to vote, rather than harp on about it pointlessly in an infinity of forum posts...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:17 am If only you'd bother to vote, rather than harp on about it pointlessly in an infinity of forum posts...
I couldn’t have put it better. The usual childish attention seeking posts from the person so obsessed with Brexit that he didn’t bother to vote!🤣🤣
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Perhaps he’s hoping Boris will read this one day and acknowledge his expertise in every aspect of Brexit…..
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The agricultural void cannot be filled with local workers. Fruit farms paid minimum wage, but workers had to stay in caravans or barns on site and were charged back half their wage for accommodation and food…. The farmers need that margin and paying locals minimum wage won’t cut it.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Whether I agree with Brexit or not, it’s what the UK citizens voted for in a democratic vote, the one you couldn’t be bothered to vote in. No amount of bleating on about it on a Paphos forum will change it.

As I have said before, if you were / are so concerned about it then (a) why didn’t you vote (b) move back to the country you left because you didn’t like the way it was and campaign to join the EU.

Apart from not being able to buy your marmite how else has it impacted your life in Cyprus?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

One thing I remember all the pro-Leave politicians saying was that it would initially be tough as the UK adjusted. They knew that, the voters that were paying attention knew that. Possibly the local pub bore who couldn't be arsed to go and vote didn't know that, but generally, people in the UK knew that there would be initial sacrifices. You could say it is rather like digging out all the old potato tubers before planting courgettes. A lot of effort with no obvious reward at the start, but in the end you've got a half decent ratatouille.

The UK workforce will have to adapt. Is this actually a bad thing? God forbid, being able to stand on your own two feet might, in the long term, turn out to be a major positive. It might mean an adjustment in wages, so that the higher up get paid less while the lower down get paid more, but would that really be so terrible? One thing this pandemic has really shown is who actually keeps the country running. It isn't the advertising executives, or office-based middle management. It is the frontline workers. If they have to be paid more to entice the UK unemployed to work, that may actually be for the benefit of the UK.

So waggle your reports from left-leaning newscasters about all you want. Very few people here will actually bother to read them. that is why no Brexiter has an opinion on them. They stopped reading your dirges a long time ago.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

“Nodding dog”??! I’ve been insulted by people with far more intelligence than you Lloyd. I tend to avoid arguing with idiots such as yourself as they tend to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience. I have no need to defend Brexit and certainly take very little notice of diatribes from Twitter that you are so fond of. When you have to resort to Twitter to bolster your argument you really are scraping the barrel. 🤣🤣
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Curse you Jim, I had to actually read his waffle in order to find the Nodding Dog reference. Oh my. HiC how you can accuse anybody else of being repetitive is quite beyond me. It is just about all you ever talk about. You are so triumphant in a competition you couldn't be arsed to even enter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

🤣🤣 sorry Dominic!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:17 pm Whatever you think of hic's regular and repetitive anti Brexit posts, the valid questions he poses are deflected by "name calling" and so remain unaddressed and unanswered
Lloyd’s questions have been answered repeatedly but ignored each time as they weren’t the answers he wanted to hear. As to name calling, perhaps you’d care to address your remarks firstly to Lloyd. When someone insults me I tend to respond in kind. I don’t deflect, neither do I constantly respond to the same tiresome questions from someone who didn’t bother to vote.
Last edited by Jimgym on Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

As usual a post turns into name calling, nobody tries to come up with a reasonable arguement but just go into auto character assignation mode.
There's few posters on this thread who bothered to vote be it for remain or leave but that doesn't stop them putting the boot in.
That's why I don't bother posting as often as I used to as certain posters preferred to get personal rather than put up a counter arguement as we are seeing here.
I could put up counter arguements with attachments against several of the posts here but why bother, easier to just let people believe what they want to believe.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:17 pm Whatever you think of hic's regular and repetitive anti Brexit posts, the valid questions he poses are deflected by "name calling" and so remain unaddressed and unanswered
He didn't pose a question in this thread.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Now hang on just a minute. There have been many counter arguments put forward to the point it became slightly tedious. As to insults, Try a search of Lloyd’s posts before accusing anyone else. It seems only Remainers are allowed to be insulting, then cry when they receive the same treatment. Utter hypocrisy.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:53 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:36 pm Now hang on just a minute. There have been many counter arguments put forward to the point it became slightly tedious. As to insults, Try a search of Lloyd’s posts before accusing anyone else. It seems only Remainers are allowed to be insulting, then cry when they receive the same treatment. Utter hypocrisy.
I didnt mention insults nor intend to, that's why name calling was in inverted commas. As regards response to questions asked it was mainly referring to his latest rant
I tend not to read them. And I am a remainer who dearly wanted the UK to remain in Europe. If somebody like me can't be bothered to read them any more, there is no chance that any of the Brexiters will be bothered to give them any more than a cursory glance.