If only I'd warned...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Re: If only I'd warned...

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:05 am
Jimgym wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:35 am
Jim B wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:21 am

Just like you complaing about the Complainer.
I'm pointing out the hypocrisy, not complaining. There is a difference.
Oh!! Right
:mrgreen:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Is it possible that Lloyd is continually insulting Brexit voters in order that he, and not Brexit, becomes the focus of the discussion ?

Just a thought.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I see today that Cyprus Immigration are insisting on a Bond of €1,500 per applicant for those applying for MUK1 and MUK3 according to Paphos Forums. This is normal for TCNs.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think some comments on this thread are rather cutting and unnecessary. People jumping on HiC who has an opinion they don’t agree with and major on the fact he never voted…. As the only insult they can throw…. I post a lot as a Remain voter about the mistakes the UK made with Brexit - and continue to make - and I know the vote was for Leave, but it shouldn’t stop people complaining about all the negative stuff that is happening. Living in the UK with property in Cyprus, it has affected me greatly - and my children and grandchildren. I will continue to moan about the lies told, the huge number who voted leave because they were racist or simply against immigration and the huge number who had “Rule Britannia” flags and blue passports stuck in their minds…
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Need 15K in the bank, too.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:26 pm I think some comments on this thread are rather cutting and unnecessary. People jumping on HiC who has an opinion they don’t agree with and major on the fact he never voted…. As the only insult they can throw…. I post a lot as a Remain voter about the mistakes the UK made with Brexit - and continue to make - and I know the vote was for Leave, but it shouldn’t stop people complaining about all the negative stuff that is happening. Living in the UK with property in Cyprus, it has affected me greatly - and my children and grandchildren. I will continue to moan about the lies told, the huge number who voted leave because they were racist or simply against immigration and the huge number who had “Rule Britannia” flags and blue passports stuck in their minds…
Pointing out that someone didn’t vote is not an insult, it’s a fact. So your argument falls down right there. It’s rather ironic to complain about others being insulting whilst doing the self same by painting leave voters as racist little Englanders. As to the lies told, as has been said MANY times, both sides are guilty of that! It's an argument that continues to go around in circles, I assume until people get bored of it......
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:26 pm I think some comments on this thread are rather cutting and unnecessary. People jumping on HiC who has an opinion they don’t agree with and major on the fact he never voted…. As the only insult they can throw…. I post a lot as a Remain voter about the mistakes the UK made with Brexit - and continue to make - and I know the vote was for Leave, but it shouldn’t stop people complaining about all the negative stuff that is happening. Living in the UK with property in Cyprus, it has affected me greatly - and my children and grandchildren. I will continue to moan about the lies told, the huge number who voted leave because they were racist or simply against immigration and the huge number who had “Rule Britannia” flags and blue passports stuck in their minds…
The "should have voted" statement is just that. A statement of fact. It isn't an insult.

That you cannot understand that says more about you than anybody else.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:56 pm
Pointing out that someone didn’t vote is not an insult, it’s a fact. So your argument falls down right there. It’s rather ironic to complain about others being insulting whilst doing the self same by painting leave voters as racist little Englanders. As to the lies told, as has been said MANY times, both sides are guilty of that! It's an argument that continues to go around in circles, I assume until people get bored of it......
Having spent my life working in the construction Industry I can say we're in general just working class types. Many times we would discuss Brexit and many we're honest in saying they voted leave because they wanted foriegners out as did my son and several other people I know.
Now you may be above all that but many aren't and are quite proud of the fact. Two ladies a friend brought along to our BBQ last week we're quite open about voting Brexit to keep the "Blacks" out.
I think the comment that not everyone who voted Brexit is a a racist but every racist voted for Brexit says it all.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Therein lies the problem. Some leave voters had genuine concerns regarding immigration and they are then immediately labelled as racists. No wonder people felt they weren't being listened to hence voting leave. Society has become such an unpleasant place, whereby if you offer a different viewpoint you are labeled or in some cases cancelled.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Jimgym wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:39 am Therein lies the problem. Some leave voters had genuine concerns regarding immigration and they are then immediately labelled as racists.
It all depends on how it's said and their reasoning behind it, in my opinion.

Sadly, Brexit seems to have been a licence for open racist remarks and mainly due to the aggressive way Farage and his party pushed their mantra out.

Also, people of a certain age are far less tolerant of how immigration works, or the fact it's a two way street. It's an alien concept to them because it never applied during their working life.

Where we live now since we returned to UK is bungalow land. Full of ex-labour voters from Lancashire mill towns who took the benefits of early retirement, came to live among well off land owners and suddenly decided they belonged to the middle classes.

We live among them and some of these are in our group of friends!

It's scary how such a thing can so quickly upset the equilibrium. So much has been taken from us following it too. It's only just starting to come to light....

The most funniest is holidays and travel, particularly for those with second homes in Europe. Those who voted for Brexit without actually understanding what Freedom of Movement offered them.

Suddenly, they find they can no longer take multiple trips backwards and forwards as they don't have the relevant visa which will offer the option of more than 90 days in Europe whilst they're still residents and/or earnng in UK.

Yes, some of our friends are in that group too!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:39 am Therein lies the problem. Some leave voters had genuine concerns regarding immigration and they are then immediately labelled as racists. No wonder people felt they weren't being listened to hence voting leave. Society has become such an unpleasant place, whereby if you offer a different viewpoint you are labeled or in some cases cancelled.
I'm just telling you how it is. Again, I never suggested everyone who voted Brexit was a racist but everyone I've spoken to who voted that way voted to keep foreigners out, they weren't interested in Sovereignty or taking back control. No thought went into shortages of skilled labour, Doctors etc. they just wanted to stop Johny Foreigner coming to the UK because they've been fed lies by the media and politicians for years.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It wasn't just that. People had seen their entire neighbourhoods change from mainly white to a huge plethora of cultures. A lot of them had just had enough.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Mr Barnier says

"
The former Brexit negotiator for the EU is running as Emmanuel Macron's rival for the 2022 French Presidential elections. In a move that resembles that of a staunch eurosceptic, Mr Barnier said his party would propose a halt to non-EU immigration and a referendum on France's legal sovereignty from EU courts.
"
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

A Childhood Memory.

Jon.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:21 pm It wasn't just that. People had seen their entire neighbourhoods change from mainly white to a huge plethora of cultures. A lot of them had just had enough.
Most ethnic groups live in the major cities, which nearly all voted Remain, the majority of Rural area's voted Leave and have few if any people from different ethnic groups. People believed what the media and the likes of Farage were telling them about being over run by Turks and Syrians, nothing whatsoever to do with the EU free movement.

As for Kingfishers video; what a load of tosh. Life expectancy in the fifties was 65 and university education was only for the wealthy. Like most people in our area we didn't have a car and few of us ever went on holiday.
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Have you not heard of White Flight?

Where do you think they flew to? And how do you think they voted when they got there?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Most who moved because of Immigrants moved to other areas of their towns and cities, not out into the countryside and this was generally due to an influx of workers from the Indian sub continent in the fifties, sixties and seventies, nothing to do with EU Citizens moving in and even so the majority in these cities voted to remain.
Also most people from Inner Cities were I lived couldn't afford to move to the rural villages in Lancashire as they are quite affluent and beyond the reach of most people.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What, do you mean places like Lincoln, Middlesborough, or Great Yarmouth?

Or lots of other towns and cities who voted leave?

Here, you can look them all up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_ ... ts/local/a
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I was thinking more like London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Cardiff, Belfast, Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle as the major cities who voted for Remain.
And as far as immigration goes I was thinking of the influx of Mill workers to the cotton towns.
Don't want to be pedantic but Middlesbrough and Great Yarmouth are towns, not cities and yes Lincoln is a Cathedral City but its population is less than 100000 which doesn't put in in the major league.