If only I'd warned...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: If only I'd warned...

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:54 am James O’Brien, admittedly a Remainer, interviewed hundreds of people on Brexit and when quizzed deeply, most admitted to either it being about immigration or money… the bus….

Interestingly, a poll of English voters now puts Labour above the Conservatives for the first time. - the reason? The National Insurance tax rise…. So when faced with any tax increase, they would now go against Johnson.

It’s futile asking for benefits of leaving the EU, other than leaving the EU. There are none. The nonsense about Sovereignty etc. Is just that, nonsense. We had almost total control in our position in the EU, but Tories dislike ordinary changes, like equality, worker protection, environmental laws etc. Etc.
What poll was that? I see the latest poll of the entire UK puts Labour ahead, but I can't find an England one. It would be useful to see.

There are a lot of good reasons to vote Labour, but to prevent tax increases isn't one of them. :D
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Now that was unexpected, another broken pledge

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58493481
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Another one they said wouldn't happen.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/polit ... ign=ukineu

I wonder how many here in Cyprus are living under the radar, it's only a matter of time.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Jim B wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:25 am Another one they said wouldn't happen.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/polit ... ign=ukineu

I wonder how many here in Cyprus are living under the radar, it's only a matter of time.
There was a mass exodus last year and still more than a trickle as time goes on.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58556453

Thank goodness they are controlling the borders by not checking anything! I would guess they would say that was their World-beating plan!
Brexit: Checks on goods imported from the EU delayed again
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It looks like the UK government is going to allow imperial measures to be used in the UK again. Considering it disappeared around fifty years ago and most of the population who used it have moved on I really can't see the point of it. The only place that still uses Imperial is the States but all the American companies I worked for used metric.

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3 ... 6TqzPnHddA
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Oh good - let's start adding £4.12/6 to £23.16/7
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

This is quite apt
David
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

David
I did listen to this and it is eye opening. Maximilien Robspiere is an excellent commentator as is "A Different Bias" on YouTube.
Thank you.
Jim
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

The days of buying two pints of bronze maggots for a couple of hours waggler fishing - I miss them.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Nowt's changed then 😐
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

I voted by post to stay in Europe, unfortunately Brexshit is with us all now...Bonking Boris had his way just..no point in crying now.
Jim.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

JimX wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:55 am I voted by post to stay in Europe, unfortunately Brexshit is with us all now...Bonking Boris had his way just..no point in crying now.
Jim

I don't think it's crying, just showing the idiocy of it.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I don't know if others have noticed in Lidl, the shortage of Tower Gate biscuits on the shelves. Tower Gate are a Lidl own brand and their products are made in th UK, biscuits like Malted Milk, Ginger Snaps, Bourbon, Custard Creams, all unavailable. Even McVitie's biscuits on sale there are made in the Netherlands (and very nice they are too Louise).
I wonder what's causing the shortage?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It’s not serious…. Lidle run out of most beers in my local… also empty shelves all over…. You can see the deterioration by the week…
glowred

Post by glowred »

Lidl in Cyprus didn’t have any tinned chopped tomatoes for months, they come from Italy so not every shortage is caused by brexit. COVID has disrupted the worldwide supply chain and according to a report in the daily mail last week there is a 400,000 shortage of HGV drivers throughout the EU. It’s been well documented that there is also a shortage of shipping containers causing massive hikes in prices being charged for transport.

Neil
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

That’s doesn’t count Neil….Brexit is to blame for everything 😉
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I don't think anyone has said Brexit is to blame for everthing but neither is the pandemic.
Also everyone is aware of container shortages and HGV drivers which is nothing new but it does appear that the UK is faring worse than most.
Yes I do expect the odd item not to be available from Lidl but a whole range of products is a different ball game.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You could place the word BREXIT with NON in that first picture and it would be equally valid. More so, if they kept going on about it afterwards as if they were clever rather than part of the bloody problem.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Deaf man with a megaphone at it again. Funniest thing I’ve read in ages, and so true!🤣🤣