Cost of Brexit: The impact on business and the economy so far

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 95486.html

The level of business investment is expected by the Bank of England to be around 25% lower by 2019 relative to its pre-referendum forecasts, damaging our future productivity growth...

The most dramatic and salient economic impact of the Brexit decision came on the night of the decision itself. The pound suffered its biggest one-day fall against the dollar on record as currency traders bet that leaving the EU would impose a long-term and permanent economic cost on Britain....

Retail sales, a crucial component of consumption, fell by 1.4 per cent in the first quarter of 2017, the biggest quarterly fall since 2010, and many economists expect this to get worse as the year progresses.....

In January, the chief executive of the London Stock Exchange warned that Brexit could cost the City of London up to 230,000 jobs if the Government fails to provide a clear plan for after the split....

More than half of the food we eat in the UK comes from abroad, meaning that the post-Brexit fall in the pound has been squeezing the food and drink industry since the pound started sliding in June. ...

Other companies have been quietly shrinking the size of their products, a process that has become known as ‘shrinkflation’, where prices remain the same as portion sizes get smaller....

Quite a sizeable article. In short - things are going to get worse before they get even more worse.
June

Re: Cost of Brexit: The impact on business and the economy so far

Post by June »

Ho hum Susannah. Yawn....same old, same old.
Only time will tell. Just wait and see and if you're right then crow then.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

June wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:19 pm Ho hum Susannah. Yawn....same old, same old.
And then what?
Then it will be too late. Little England will be mentioned in the same breath as the Faroe islands, or some little backwater somewhere. No offence to people from the Faroes - but..
And sadly, unlike many others, I can't get an Irish or Scottish passport (when the UK finally breaks apart, in the next decade or so - the final death throes of "The Empire". )
Last edited by OhSusana on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Aaaaahhhh right! So all these cut n pastes are going to stop Article 50 are they?? :lol:
Varky

Post by Varky »

Ohsusana,

Have you never considered that the majority who voted to leave were sufficiently intelligent and had considered all the likely pros and cons of leaving the EU and had overall decided to vote to leave believing that the devil you don't know was better than the devil you do. Please do not be patronising enough to suggest that those who voted to remain were more intelligent than those who voted to leave. In my opinion stupidity is equally shared amongst all levels of society.

"......the final death throws of "The Empire". Are you kidding, that event happened years ago. Or are you deluded enough to think otherwise?
smudger

Post by smudger »

Think the answer you your first question Varky is no, and to your last question a massive yes!
June

Post by June »

OhSusana wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:36 pm
June wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:19 pm Ho hum Susannah. Yawn....same old, same old.
And then what?
Then it will be too late. Little England will be mentioned in the same breath as the Faroe islands, or some little backwater somewhere. No offence to people from the Faroes - but..
And sadly, unlike many others, I can't get an Irish or Scottish passport (when the UK finally breaks apart, in the next decade or so - the final death throws of "The Empire". )
Should that come to pass then we'll weep and you can feel smug but in the meantime all your links are nothing more than personal assumptions of various "financial experts" who know nothing more than the rest of us.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Varky wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:48 pm Ohsusana,

Have you never considered that the majority who voted to leave were sufficiently intelligent ..

"......the final death throws of "The Empire". Are you kidding, that event happened years ago. Or are you deluded enough to think otherwise?
Gosh - both your choirboys online tonight, Smudge! . Working overtime!
You never told me if you heard Francis Jackson at York Minster.

Your average Brexit voter has been shown to be less intelligent... Just do a google search. Hundreds, thousands of references.
Strictly speaking, "a lower level of education".
And older. yes - older.
Hence the "good ol'" days of the Empire. ... - make Britain "great" again. It appeals to the old guard who in some delusional way believe the days of their youth - "40 years on.... days of fresh air in the rain and the sun...".. are going to magically return. Just look at the references to "The Commonwealth " on this, and on the other Paphos forum (before political discussion died there).

So - when was Britain "great"? Similar pathetic nationalistic slogans from the mega-right/ fascist parties in Europe. Not to mention Trump.
It appeals to a group of people.
As does the 350 million a day or whatever it was for the NHS. If your husband is waiting for a heart bypass operation, of course you'll vote Brexit. It solves all the problems. Or so enough gullible people believed. Lies... and lies and lies and lies.
350 million of them.
Last edited by OhSusana on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

June wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 pm
Should that come to pass then we'll weep and you can feel smug but in the meantime all your links are nothing more than personal assumptions of various "financial experts" who know nothing more than the rest of us.
I don't want to feel smug. I have several children to think about. I can't afford to just think about myself, like many on this forum.
I have to think about my family. That is a mother's priority, I think you would agree?
June

Post by June »

OhSusana wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:08 pm
June wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 pm
I don't want to feel smug. I have several children to think about. I can't afford to just think about myself, like many on this forum.
I have to think about my family. That is a mother's priority, I think you would agree?
Many on here have children, of various ages, and as a mother I would have thought you would do better using that determined, almost obsessive streak you appear to have, to back Brexit and strive to get the best outcome for your children instead of trying to undermine and possibly water down something that is definitely going to happen.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

A lot on this forum, especially the Brexit brigade, are old, and don't have children. There are exceptions, of course.
But who on this forum is relatively young, with children, and pro-Brexit?
I admit that Geoffrey's daughters were pro-Brexit, but then... they are so rich, frankly it doesn't matter one bit for them which way things turn out.
I am sure they will make lots of money either way, and - Geoffreys, God bless him, is justly proud of them.
But - I digress, as they aren't on this forum anyway.

if Nigel Farage was allowed to fight for his beliefs, then so should I

I should add that, a significant number of expats are moving back, or have recently moved back - for whatever reason - to the UK - and yet wax lyrically on this forum about how wonderful Brexit is for expats here in Cyprus! Or elsewhere in Europe.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

OhSusana-(11.06) You ask" when was Britain "great"? "
The term "great" in this context is widely misunderstood. It had nothing whatever to do with Britain having a world-wide empire, (as it did indeed have).
The term pre-dates that era. The explanation is as follows:
Ptolemy referred to the larger island as great Britain (megale Britannia) and to Ireland as little Britain (mikra Brettania) in his work, Almagest (147–148 AD).
Later on it was called Brittanie Majore to distinguish it from Brittany in France, which was also mostly inhabited by Celts.
{Great Britain
c.1400, Grete Britaigne. As opposed to Brittany.
Brittany
French Bretagne, named for 5c. Romano-Celtic refugees from the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain who crossed the channel and settled there (see Britain). The Little Britain or Less Britain (lasse brutaine, c.1300) of old, contrasted with the Great Britain.}
smudger

Post by smudger »

Kingfisher, so right.
June

Post by June »

OhSusana wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:41 pm A lot on this forum, especially the Brexit brigade, are old, and don't have children. There are exceptions, of course.
But who on this forum is relatively young, with children, and pro-Brexit?
Dominic for one, albeit originally a remainer I believe.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

kingfisher wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:54 pm OhSusana-(11.06) You ask" when was Britain "great"? "
The term "great" in this context is widely misunderstood. ..
I take your point, Kingfisher, and basically agree with you. However, politicians have used the term in a different context ...
just a google search ...

Paul Nuttall: Ukip will put the 'Great' back into Britain under my ...
https://www.politicshome.com/.../uk/... ... uttall-uki...
“Under my leadership we will ensure this country gets the Brexit it voted for on 23 June and then we will put the Great back into Britain.”.

Let's put Great back in Britain, blasts Neil Hamilton | Express Comment ...
www.express.co.uk

BREXIT - Let's all work together to put the Great back into Britain and ...

"EU Referendum vote is the day we put the Great back into Britain ...
www.southportvisiter.co.uk › .....

I was meaning it more in this "popular" context.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Since when did being old preclude one from having children? Or indeed grandchildren?? Pity some don't engage the brain before operating the mouth. Or the the typing finger. :P

Still proud of this persons style, wit.........Lloyd??
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Smudge. Getting a little bitter. Past 10 pm in the Uk... Glenwhinny?
You still haven't answered my question. Or are you - as usual - trying to be antisocial? :D
Did you hear Francis Jackson at York Minster?
It's a simple question... Yes, No...

Try reading this -
Age and female fertility
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_and_female_fertility
and here for men
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternal_age_effect

Suprise me Smudge!
Post some positive news about Brexit!!!
smudger

Post by smudger »

UK??? Glenwhinny??

Great powers of observation and deduction. NOT!
Last edited by smudger on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Ah. That explains it. Past midnight... You're back!
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

And you still haven't answered my question.