EU medicines agency backs Astra Zeneca jab

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Mark

EU medicines agency backs Astra Zeneca jab

Post by Mark »

EU agency says AstraZeneca vaccine is 'safe and effective' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56440139

Let’s get on with administrating it!!!
Mark

Re: EU medicines agency backs Astra Zeneca jab

Post by Mark »

As Nigel Howarth posted in the Cyprus Mail...”the only clots are in Brussels”
Varky

Post by Varky »

I think there has already been too much administrating of the AZ vaccine and we should have more administering.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

All these situations endorse the correctness of the decision for the UK to be liberated from the EU.

Of course, there are some expats more worried about their parcels being delayed from the UK and increased costs. Tough!!!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

HIC is back on track. The chip on his shoulder re BREXIT keeps coming to the for.
All things are possible
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The UK could have been in the EU and still went it's own way with Vaccines....

A report published this week, alleges that the late lockdown in England, in January rather than early December, when advised by 'the science' - could have cost up to 27,000 lives
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I wonder how many lives this latest farce by the EU "could" cost.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Probably hundreds of thousands.... It is a joke. France is already sitting at less than 40% take-up for the vaccine - from the country that proportionally used more pharmaceuticals than any other EU country!

Spain vaccinated the under 55 key workers first - then the care home residents and only now are doing the over 80's - a bold move.....
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Forget it Lincoln - HIC and his loyal followers will always bang the EU & Brexit Drum no matter what. The only thing in 4 years HIC has conceded on is the EU's abject failure to properly organise its vaccine rollout and then blaming the UK for its own shortcomings.
Mark

Post by Mark »

To paraphrase again

“The only clots are in Brussels”

And as I posted in another strand I voted to remain in the EU, unlike others on this forum who did not exercise their right to vote!!!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well, there's the vaccine rollout, for a start.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

People on here so anti EU, yet themselves choosing to live in a EU country, the Irony is just toooooooo much :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A lot of people were living here before Cyprus was in the EU, so you can't really criticise them for that.

I still want to know what you lot argued about before Brexit, other than tides and chip pans. :)
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:32 am Well, there's the vaccine rollout, for a start.
Actually, it is unfair to blame the EU for that. Rather blame the Eastern European governments which insisted on harder and longer price negotiations, delaying the procurement process to save a few billion €€€. Think pennywise and poundfoolish.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:11 pm A lot of people were living here before Cyprus was in the EU, so you can't really criticise them for that.

I still want to know what you lot argued about before Brexit, other than tides and chip pans. :)
Where to get the cheapest KEO, bad driving , bad parking, bent officials, bent police, bent doctors no English on forms, best fish and chips, etc etc the same as today, :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Had Britain still been in the EU they wouldn't have had an EU handout, as they were net contributers. The UK would have had to fund (along with Germany etc) the vaccine purchase for the entire EU, and would have been in less of a position to simply buy it for themselves.

The reason the UK is doing so well in the vaccine stakes is because they had the foresight to make provisions early.

I can remember when the UK announced that they were going it alone on the procurement front, and not working with the EU. That decision has saved lots of lives. It is as simple as that.

One of my chief reasons for wanting the UK to be in the EU was because collectively we are stronger. Or so I thought. The vaccine fiasco that is the EU's current policy shows that that is not necessarily the case.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:36 pm
Dominic wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:11 pm A lot of people were living here before Cyprus was in the EU, so you can't really criticise them for that.

Where to get the cheapest KEO, bad driving , bad parking, bent officials, bent police, bent doctors no English on forms, best fish and chips, etc etc the same as today, :lol:
There is a simple solution to the "no English on forms" issue. :lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:57 pm One of my chief reasons for wanting the UK to be in the EU was because collectively we are stronger. Or so I thought. The vaccine fiasco that is the EU's current policy shows that that is not necessarily the case.
The stress has to be on "not necessarily" though. Each national government would have been free to order beyond the EU procurement scheme. In my view the national governments are to blame which didn´t. In the case of Germany it seems Merkel is to blame as her health minister had wanted to go that route.
While I´m at it: what happened to Anastasiades´s plan to order beyond the EU scheme from Israel?