Foreign Aid Budget

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
emgee

Foreign Aid Budget

Post by emgee »

Did anyone else notice in PMQs today that the PM did not answer the question about UK retaining Mr Cameron's pledge to keep Foreign Aid at 0.7% of GDP?

Alan
Royal

Re: Foreign Aid Budget

Post by Royal »

One of the myriad reasons for calling an early General Election is to have a new manifesto rather than to maintain the one created under David Cameron.

The only reason, for example, that the Chancellor's budget commitment to harmonise National Insurance for the self employed was swiftly rescinded was because it would have been a manifesto u turn during the lifetime of the present Parliament. Theresa May and Philip Hammond will be free to make new manifesto commitments which, I believe will ease up on the austerity advocated by George Osborne.

As far as the 0.7% target is concerned, it was actually enshrined in UK law (The International Development Act 2015). This would need to be repealed if the target (which is recommended by the UN for developed nations) is to be altered.

Quite why we give aid to Pakistan and India, however, I have no idea...
outasite

Post by outasite »

Apparantly we give a few million a year to North Korea. This, of course, could explain why the haircutted one seems to get fatter with every passing day. 😂😂
smudger

Post by smudger »

I see TM (Teresa May, P.M of the UK) as an ever more Pro-active PM, in touch with the electorate and prepared to respond to their concerns. She is well aware of the concerns surrounding the Foreign Aid budget and I'm pretty sure she will respond accordingly.
Lynsab

Post by Lynsab »

Well there you go she's so in touch with the electorate she's ruled out cuts in the foreign aid budget...it will remain the same at 0.7%

No such guarantees on the present 2.5% annual state pension increase though... :roll:
smudger

Post by smudger »

Time will tell.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Looking at it from a purely personal point of view as a pensioner then of course I would be upset if the triple lock disappeared however looking at it generally why should we be so much better protected than Nurses for example and possibly if we had not had this protection then the WASPI ladies might have had a better deal?