Shot themselves in the foot

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Mike.1940

Shot themselves in the foot

Post by Mike.1940 »

Have the EU shot themselves in the foot over the AstraZeneca vaccine by banning it temporarily because it is linked to the UK. Could it just be sour grapes over Brexit?.
WHL

Re: Shot themselves in the foot

Post by WHL »

Mike.1940 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:12 am Have the EU shot themselves in the foot over the AstraZeneca vaccine by banning it temporarily because it is linked to the UK. Could it just be sour grapes over Brexit?.
I think they Temporarily banned it because they had justifiable concerns about some issues, nothing to do with childish sour grapes brexit rubbish
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

I would say a mixture of sour grapes stupidity and illogical thinking

I have read an article, an these figures were shown yesterday that with 40 or so cases in x million doses in the x million people they would have "expected" without the existence of Covidto have perhaps 200 cases of people suffering from blood clots within x

My simple logical thinking tells me that maybe something within the vaccine is in fact reducing the risk of blood clotting incidence based on the figures

Or is it me missing something
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think the decision is 25% medical and 75% political - as confirmed by the CMO of Italy...

It will also create a massive distrust in vaccines in countries where ant-vaccing is already massive - such as France. They may find the consequences of this far reaches into their safety as a country
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

It seems a politically motivated
move and one which will backfire on them. Absolutely pathetic behaviour, playing with people's lives in this manner.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Now the latest from the EU, honestly this is like some sort of bad comedy. Scary undertones also, talking about seizing factories etc. What an absolute joke. von der Leyen wold struggle to run a bath let alone anything serious.

The European Union has threatened to restrict vaccine exports to the UK to "make sure Europeans are vaccinated as soon as possible".

Speaking on Wednesday Ursula von der Leyen, head of the bloc's executive arm, said "all options are on the table" to boost the EU's stuttering immunisation campaign, including moves to halt exports to countries which "have higher vaccination rates than us", including the UK.

Ms von der Leyen suggested she wants EU leaders to discuss triggering Article 122, a clause used by Brussels once previously, during in the oil crisis in the 1970s. This would allow the EU to seize factories, waving intellectual property and patents and impose export bans.

She added that while the EU has sent roughly 10 million jabs to the UK, none have been exported from Britain to the European continent.

"We are still waiting for doses to come from the UK, so this is an invitation to show us that there are also doses from the UK coming to the European Union," Ms von der Leyen said. "Open roads run in both directions and this is why we need to ensure that there is reciprocity and proportionality.

"I want to be clear on reciprocity. If the situation does not change, we will have to reflect on how to make exports to vaccine-producing countries dependent on their level of openness."

Her comments come as six EU countries complained to Brussels about reduced deliveries that are hampering the bloc's already troubled inoculation campaign, and could stall plans to restart travel this summer and support the battered tourism sector.
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:26 am
Mike.1940 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:12 am Have the EU shot themselves in the foot over the AstraZeneca vaccine by banning it temporarily because it is linked to the UK. Could it just be sour grapes over Brexit?.
I think they Temporarily banned it because they had justifiable concerns about some issues, nothing to do with childish sour grapes brexit rubbish
Justifiable? By whom? Certainly not by the WHO or EMA. Maybe by some unqualified politicians.
Certainly not by statistics which show that AZ thrombosis rates are lower than those that have not received the vaccination. Certainly not by statistics from the UK vaccination programme which shows that the Pfizer vaccine has a slightly higher incidence of thrombosis than the AZ vaccine. Both theFrench and Italian political leaders have confirmed that the ban is purely political.
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Don't forget the Polish PM who also stated it is a political issue and has stated that Poland will still continue with the AZ vaccine rollout. Funny how UVDL wants AZ vaccines to be delivered from EU & UK Plants to EU Countries, yet many of those EU countries are still holding stocks of the AZ vaccine but are still being withheld for use due to spurious claims been made. As HIC would say "you couldn't make it up"
WHL

Post by WHL »

Varky wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:20 pm
Justifiable? By whom? Certainly not by the WHO or EMA. Maybe by some unqualified politicians.
Certainly not by statistics which show that AZ thrombosis rates are lower than those that have not received the vaccination. Certainly not by statistics from the UK vaccination programme which shows that the Pfizer vaccine has a slightly higher incidence of thrombosis than the AZ vaccine. Both theFrench and Italian political leaders have confirmed that the ban is purely political.
When people drop down dead , then that justifys you to put the brakes on and check it out
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:07 pm
Varky wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:20 pm
When people drop down dead , then that justifys you to put the brakes on and check it out
Totally agree but you have to find the correct reason for them dropping down dead and not thrash around pointing the finger without sufficient evidence.