Atrocious Italian/ EU behaviour

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Mark

Atrocious Italian/ EU behaviour

Post by Mark »

This is breaking news

Italy with the backing of the EU commission has blocked the export of 250000 Oxford vaccines to Australia.

The commission passed a law in January enabling this disgusting and unethical act.

I am ashamed that I voted to remain in this despicable Union.

The EU will be damaged by this action
WHL

Re: Atrocious Italian/ EU behaviour

Post by WHL »

Mark wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:23 pm This is breaking news

Italy with the backing of the EU commission has blocked the export of 250000 Oxford vaccines to Australia.

The commission passed a law in January enabling this disgusting and unethical act.

I am ashamed that I voted to remain in this despicable Union.

The EU will be damaged by this action
For what reason?, would be better if you provide a link,
Mark

Post by Mark »

Covid: Italy 'blocks' AstraZeneca vaccine shipment to Australia https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56279202
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Because their own contracts haven't been honoured.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The Australian order was also a contract, the EU have bungled the contract process, they cannot unilaterally decide to put themselves to the top of the pile to negate their inneficiances
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

The EU is already blocking all deliveries to the UK from the Astra Zenica factory in Holland, just being kept hush hush,

G
WHL

Post by WHL »

It would depend on what sort of contract was signed? Maybe there is a clause that Italy gets first delivery before others?
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

They passed a retrospective law that makes it a requirement for any pharmaceutical company fulfil all EU contracts before they can export anything. They are using this law to steal other peoples vaccines.

How to make friends.

G
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

EU ... The gift that keeps giving
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

Forgive me HIC - how many EU countries are now scoring vaccines from Russia, China etc. which is against EU rules as these countries vaccines are not approved by the EU?

If you are going to bash the UK "again", make sure you bash your fellow EU countries which are ignoring the rules laid out by the EU.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Shows how desperate countries are to grab all available supplies of vaccine. Law of the jungle.

Dee
Mark

Post by Mark »

Multinationals will be reviewing their global manufacturing strategy and the risks of manufacturing in the EU for global supply chains. An expensive decision for the Italians and the EU.

The EU are displaying the behavior of bullies

I identify myself now as pro European, but not a unionist
Mark

Post by Mark »

The EU has no need to 'make friends'. It is a huge, powerful trading bloc, with whom the rest of the World wishes to do business. It will not be in the least harmed by this....says HIC

Oh yes, this will damage the EU, how will other countries feel about placing orders in the EU?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Mark wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:34 am The EU has no need to 'make friends'. It is a huge, powerful trading bloc, with whom the rest of the World wishes to do business. It will not be in the least harmed by this....says HIC

Oh yes, this will damage the EU, how will other countries feel about placing orders in the EU?
It will not damage the EU in my opinion, all it does, is give a chance to those people who are anti EU to go on forums and vent their spleens.
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:24 pm It would depend on what sort of contract was signed? Maybe there is a clause that Italy gets first delivery before others?
As far as I remember it´s unclear what exactly the "best effort" clause in the AZ contract is referring to. According to AZ it refers to the amount of doses it committed to provide and by when. According to the EU it refers to how much will be produced within the EU, not to the total to be delivered. The relevant passages were blackened when the contract was made public.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Mark wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:34 am The EU has no need to 'make friends'. It is a huge, powerful trading bloc, with whom the rest of the World wishes to do business. It will not be in the least harmed by this....says HIC
And he´s right.
WHL

Post by WHL »

In my opinion, I think what Italy has done is 100% correct, Europe has much, much more need for the vaccine, where as Australia has very low cases and deaths from covid.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:03 am In my opinion, I think what Italy has done is 100% correct, Europe has much, much more need for the vaccine, where as Australia has very low cases and deaths from covid.
You are absolutely correct! Italy, of all EU countries, has need of these vaccines and most urgently. I believe that some of you have forgotten that the supply of vaccines from within the EU itself has slowed down.

In the school playground, if you have only one sweetie left in the bag, would you give it to Jack? No you wouldn't, because you're all right, Jack.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

WHL wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:03 am In my opinion, I think what Italy has done is 100% correct, Europe has much, much more need for the vaccine, where as Australia has very low cases and deaths from covid.
Maybe you’re right but that isn’t the way contracts work is it?
WHL

Post by WHL »

The Aquila wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:16 am
Maybe you’re right but that isn’t the way contracts work is it?
It depends on what was agreed, maybe the Italians, had a clause saying, their order had to be supplied before other parties, we can only speculate, because we dont have the contract to see.