Atrocious Italian/ EU behaviour

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
BOB Peyia

Re: Atrocious Italian/ EU behaviour

Post by BOB Peyia »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:56 am
How many trading nations will be as stupid as the UK in sticking two fingers up to the EU, and with who they have negotiated preferential trading partnerships? I suspect not one single country.
HIC - that is a strawman, as you have stated, your company is doing business with the UK because you could not find an alternative supplier in the EU?
If the product is good enough countries will continue to trade.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I could be wrong, but didn't Angela ban the use of the Astra Zeneca vaccine for over 65s ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Firefly wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:00 pm I could be wrong, but didn't Angela ban the use of the Astra Zeneca vaccine for over 65s ?
Both Merkel and Macron questioned its efficacy for over 65's based on low research data for that age group. Now the data has improved, they both seem to be relaxing their attitude towards it.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Where was HiC when Van der Lying was screwing up the NI protocol a few weeks ago I wonder! Perhaps too busy searching for an inferior product from his beloved EU.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

I personally think HIC with his Business, Political & Prediction Prowess should run for some type of ministerial position - you skills are totally wasted running a local pool company. I don't recall any news reports of threats to Irish workers in regards to the NI Protocol prior to UVL and the EU threatened to rip it up over the issue of vaccine supply before making a hasty U-Turn - I may be wrong on this point but the news report certainly covered the tensions and threats straight after the EU's U-Turn - I don't recall any of the issues when BJ was sabre rattling, to be fair sabre rattling is a long way of actually taking action which is what UVL did.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Diocletian

I don't know about a relaxed attitude, I think it's more like a complete u turn.

If they hadn't banned it for the over 65s, a lot more people in the EU would probably be vaccinated by now.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Diocletian wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:26 pm
Firefly wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:00 pm I could be wrong, but didn't Angela ban the use of the Astra Zeneca vaccine for over 65s ?
Both Merkel and Macron questioned its efficacy for over 65's based on low research data for that age group. Now the data has improved, they both seem to be relaxing their attitude towards it.
Don´t forget to mention that other countries like Canada also haven´t approved the AZ vaccine for the same reasons. Only within the last few weeks data for this age group have become available. Which is now it will be approved for those above 65 as well. At least for Germany the minister of health has announced that it will.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:34 pm Where was HiC when Van der Lying was screwing up the NI protocol a few weeks ago I wonder! Perhaps too busy searching for an inferior product from his beloved EU.
How clever of you , :roll:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

jeba

A great pity they left it so long.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:06 pm jeba

A great pity they left it so long.
Well, the data initially submitted for approval by AZ were not including data (or at least not sufficient data) on the elderly because they hadn´t tested it (sufficiently) in that group. Had they done that earlier it would have been approved earlier.

Not sure though whether it would have made much of a difference because at least in Germany by the beginning of the week only 15% of the available AZ vaccine had been used. Many people opted to rather wait for the Biontech vaccine because the mistake AZ made when they accidentally administered only half the dose during the trial phase harmed their reputation. Reports that in Norway 23 elderly died following vaccination and that in a German hospital 30% of the staff vaccinated called in sick the day after vaccination also didn´t help. If I could choose I´d also opt for one of the RNA vaccines - but since I can’t I’ll take whatever I can get my arm around first. You can always top it up with another one later.

That said, in my view there should have been exemptions from the usual standards and the AZ as well as the Russian and Chinese vaccines should be allowed to be used for those who want it (knowing full well, that the risk may be higher or the efficacy lower). Even if they should be less safe and / or effective (no idea whether they are any of it) this would probably have been the lesser evil.