Sterling doing well!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Diocletian

Re: Sterling doing well!

Post by Diocletian »

WHL wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 am
Diocletian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:52 am I, for one , choose to have a home in Cyprus because it is the land of my birth. I am a brexiteer as I did not agree with the UK joining the EU which in my view was a political decision. As soon as I was given the opportunity to reverse that decision, I did.

As for the RoC's membership of the EU, well, we will have to wait and see if the upcoming reunification talks succeed. Should they not, then the RoC's membership may well be in doubt according to a recent article in the Cyprus Mail written by a well known UK based Cypriot born Judge.
Whether the reunifications talks succeed or not, ( They wont as Turkey wants two states) it will not have any bearing on Cyprus's continued membership of the EU, I don't know why a UK based Cypriot Judges views, would have any more bearing then your mate down the pubs view. :roll:
It was an interesting article and the argument was based on the fact that the RoC is the only recognised sovereign entity for the whole Island and thus the whole Island is a member. However, should there be no resolution to the division, then the concept of its membership could be questioned.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Princebytor wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:01 am Hi Dio, I am a remainer, as Brexit didn't make economic sense to me.............but I respect your view and as we can't change history I prefer to look forward now rather than keep debating the past !
Hi, you and me both. History is fluid, time to move on.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:28 am
WHL wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 am
Diocletian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:52 am I, for one , choose to have a home in Cyprus because it is the land of my birth. I am a brexiteer as I did not agree with the UK joining the EU which in my view was a political decision. As soon as I was given the opportunity to reverse that decision, I did.

As for the RoC's membership of the EU, well, we will have to wait and see if the upcoming reunification talks succeed. Should they not, then the RoC's membership may well be in doubt according to a recent article in the Cyprus Mail written by a well known UK based Cypriot born Judge.
Whether the reunifications talks succeed or not, ( They wont as Turkey wants two states) it will not have any bearing on Cyprus's continued membership of the EU, I don't know why a UK based Cypriot Judges views, would have any more bearing then your mate down the pubs view. :roll:
It was an interesting article and the argument was based on the fact that the RoC is the only recognised sovereign entity for the whole Island and thus the whole Island is a member. However, should there be no resolution to the division, then the concept of its membership could be questioned.
One blokes view, no more no less. There will be no settlement to the Cyprus question while the Despot Erdogan and his crony's are in the north, in fact this nutter has aspirations on occupying a lot more then the north of Cyprus
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I agree. Although the man concerned is an eminent legal character and certainly not just a bloke down the pub. I await with interest any developments with the proposed UN talks scheduled.

Aside from all of that and to put things back on topic. I expect the Sterling/Euro rate to improve throughout the year. Have a good day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:36 pm I agree. Although the man concerned is an eminent legal character and certainly not just a bloke down the pub. I await with interest any developments with the proposed UN talks scheduled.

Aside from all of that and to put things back on topic. I expect the Sterling/Euro rate to improve throughout the year. Have a good day.
I'm sure if someone has the time, they could google ten eminent legal people who would say the opposite, if anyone likes a bet, then bet your house on, no solution forth coming, while this nutter runs Turkey
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Princebytor wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:01 am Hi Dio, I am a remainer, as Brexit didn't make economic sense to me.............but I respect your view and as we can't change history I prefer to look forward now rather than keep debating the past !
Princebytor

I do appreciate your post and totally agree we should look forward but where I differ in view is that I believe Brexit is taking us backwards.
Funnily enough I was reading an article from the Express about a poll calling for a return to pounds and ounces, not sure if it was a wind up or not.
When I look at what I believe British people are losing:

Erasmus.
Galileo
Able to travel freely
Access to live and work
Access to education
Workers Rights
Human rights
No import costs
And the list goes on.

I can't think of any tangible benefit of Brexit, some are trying to suggest that Brexit gave the UK a head start on the Covid vaccine but is patently untrue as any EU country could have done the same but decided not to cut corners.
I just feel the UK is going backwards and it's affecting my kids and grandkids future.
Sometimes you just have to keep fighting for what you believe in.

Jim
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Does the UK not have human rights then? News to me!
As for workers rights, there are several EU states that do not even have a minimum wage plus it took 16 years for the EU to adopt Paternity Leave after the UK legislated on it.
We have access to education on a daily basis and some of the worlds best Universities.
We have access to live and work anywhere in the world.

The list goes on
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:59 pm Does the UK not have human rights then? News to me!
As for workers rights, there are several EU states that do not even have a minimum wage plus it took 16 years for the EU to adopt Paternity Leave after the UK legislated on it.
We have access to education on a daily basis and some of the worlds best Universities.

The list goes on
Your post is full of half truths and misleading statements as usual. Anyone can do anything if they're rich enough, the EU allows ordinary people to live the dream.

Jim
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

The countries currently in the bottom or middle of the list are currently living the dream

The money for that dream is coming from the countries at the top of the list together with funds for the bloated buildings/staff salaries/pensions and benefits for the EU government trough

Not rocket science

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48256318
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Your list is already two years out of date. Both Brexit and coronavirus have put it seriously out of kilter.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

BOB Peyia wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:04 am
Uncle D wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:47 am That is really your own fault, I wanted to bring a 2.5 litre over with me in 2006 but decided against it when I saw the duty costs I would have had to pay, illegal or not the tax was there and foolish to ignore.
Why was it my fault, I took on the hit on the chin because the car belonged to my wife and in her eyes was irreplaceable. Maybe you have bigger gonads than me and your wife bows to your commands. :shock:

The bottom line is Cyprus joined the EU in 2004 and should have followed EU guidelines.
Thanks for clarifying that, it was your own fault :roll:
David
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Jim B wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:22 pm
Diocletian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:59 pm Does the UK not have human rights then? News to me!

The list goes on
Your post is full of half truths and misleading statements as usual. Anyone can do anything if they're rich enough, the EU allows ordinary people to live the dream.

Jim

Where on earth are there any half truths or misleading statements?

What on earth does a persons net worth have to do with the ability to travel, or attend a U.K. university or work abroad.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Devil wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:05 pm Your list is already two years out of date. Both Brexit and coronavirus have put it seriously out of kilter.
The figures reflect the reason why perhaps the UK didn't think it was "living the dream" and decided against being part of the EU ?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:24 pm
Jim B wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:22 pm

The list goes on

Jim

Where on earth are there any half truths or misleading statements?

What on earth does a persons net worth have to do with the ability to travel, or attend a U.K. university or work abroad.
If you can't equate having wealth provides opportunities then I think I'm wasting my time. Not everyone has the finance to travel, go to other EU universities or the skills required to work in other countries that require a work visa.

Mirek

There are around 32000 Civil Servants employed by the EU in comparison to about 343,000 in the UK. Not a bad return when the cost was spread between 28 countries.
It appears you prefer to support a government presently being taken to court for creaming off over 11 billion pounds in contracts and giving them to their pals rather than help the people of the likes of Cyprus and Malta who we robbed blind for years or other countries like Poland who we sold out to the Russians at the end of WWII.

JIM
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

Uncle D wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:07 pm

Thanks for clarifying that, it was your own fault :roll:
Sticks and Stones
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Euro rate yesterday was 1.16. It had risen to 1.17 but fell back at close of play in the Far East market so reported the Sterling Magazine.
Varky

Post by Varky »

JimB,
On the subject of civil servants you failed to include the number of civil servants employed within each of the individual countries. This would have given a more representative comparison. May I suggest selective information?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Varky wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:02 am JimB,
On the subject of civil servants you failed to include the number of civil servants employed within each of the individual countries. This would have given a more representative comparison. May I suggest selective information?
No, figures given from Google forl EU Commission Civil Servants.Even if you trebled the number it would still be nearly a quarter of a million less than the UK and about 3,700 per member country.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/about-europea ... n-staff_en

Jim
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Treble - no where near and the info is easy to find, I have taken just 10 mins to get the figures below from Wikipedia & Google and thats just 4 countries

France - Civil Servant 1,685,898
Germany - Public servants have considerable social status in Germany. Civil servants are categorized into three groups. Slightly over 2 million are career civil servants, about 3 million are employees and roughly 1.5 million are workers
Spain - 1,200,000 and that was back in 1981, there are more now but no up to date figure
Portugal - 690,494

As Varky stated don't compare the UK to just the EU Commission, as a fair comparison you have to take each countries civil service as a whole - Oh I forgot you always like to skew your point of view in favour of the EU
Varky

Post by Varky »

livingthedream,
Exactly my point. Something that JimB does not seem able to grasp. Maybe because it doesn't fit in with his opinion.