Sterling doing well!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: Sterling doing well!

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:43 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:58 am In case you hadn't noticed, the major slump in GBP came about in 2016 after the Brexit ref. was first announced.
Did you not notice the massive slump in 2008? Did Brexit cause that too?
I believe 2008 was caused by greedy Bankers buying in bad loans in the States but I may be wrong.
I may be misreading the graph BoB posted but it looks like a gradual rise (with a few bumps in the road) to 2015 and was pretty steady until it started falling rapidly In mid 2016 and has been bumping along ever since.
Of course we all see what we like to see but I wonder where the pound would be if we had stayed in the EU.

Jim
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

I guess it how you perceive currency fluctuation and the impacts.

Euro USD.JPG
Euro USD.JPG (53.14 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:56 am In a nutshell, that's why the pound slumped in 2008. But I suspect you knew that anyway ;)
Indeed I did Lloyd but I was wanting to point out that not everything bad in the world can be blamed on Brexit as you are trying to do ;)
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Lloyd has a big chip on his shoulder. Called I hate Brexit. Any subject that he corresponds to will mention the word BREXIT. Get used to it folks.
All things are possible
ast

Post by ast »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:39 am Lloyd has a big chip on his shoulder. Called I hate Brexit. Any subject that he corresponds to will mention the word BREXIT. Get used to it folks.
HIC, is big enough and ugly enough to speak for himself, but everything he has called out re Brexit has come true, tax, customs etc etc etc , nothing to do with chips on shoulders, just saying it as it is.
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Have to agree with Lincoln - HIC and his followers all predicted this that and the next thing. We are now just over 6 weeks in since the UK finally departed the EU, Customs issues that occurred prior to Xmas had nothing to do with Brexit whatsoever and from various reports I see Customs is slowly settling down and goods moving with relative ease - and before someone mentions Ireland lets just remember who rocked that boat UVL. Taxes on goods - well that was always going to happen for various goods, most goods from around the world on WTO Tariffs have taxes of one description or another, one of the main areas was JIT deliveries which was a big concern for both the UK and EU and these particular areas I believe (not read anything of late) have been addressed in the interim.

HIC and his followers have always just spat out what for most people who read the news was the obvious, with his favourite saying of "I told you so" to follow - if HIC was such a clairvoyant how come he did not see or predict the complete and utter abject failure and fiasco of the EU's Vaccine roll out.

How come he didn't predict that EU nations would break away to source their own vaccines - the EU is not so unified as HIC would argue

Heres a prediction - as time rolls on the pound will get stronger, not to the levels of 1.40 but certainly I think 1.20 - 125 may be achievable due to the UK being able to react to markets without the straitjacket of the EU and take advantage of striking deals that do not require 27 other nations to all agree in unison.
Last edited by living the dream on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

I had noticed the obsession too, well spotted

Seems rather a strange one, living ( and apparantly happy ) in another country/not the UK and spends most his time dissing a decision made by the people of another country

The UK has had a rocky relationship with the EU and the relationship became untenable, like many relationships with people do.

If the other party has no interest in compromise/reform/change one side or the other will walk and go their own way. That's life, you vote with your feet and move on
Last edited by Mirek on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

HIC - I am not sure on what your point is anymore?

Being stuck in the UK with the covid situation effecting my movements to Cyprus, all i can say "for what it’s worth", I have not seen any impact in the UK post Brexit. Supermarkets are stocked with unlimited supplies of fresh fruit and vegetables grown in EU countries; which have a pick date on the of Feb-2021, my local butcher still receives his supplies of fresh veal from his Dutch supplier; the shelves on the very German Lidi and Aldi supermarkets are full of products. the same can be said for wines and spirits from EU countries without any additional cost or taxes.
The same could be said for utilities and those who import utilities for other EU countries e.g, electricity from France.

I am not going to tell you how to suck eggs, however it might be wise to speak with family in the UK and see how Brexit is affecting them, because if i remember correctly Brexit was for people of the UK and not expats living abroad.

i do feel for your pain in your business having to pay additional import cost due to Cypriot bureaucracy, however this is nothing unusual with regards to the Cypriot Government trying to make an easy buck. In 2007 I paid the sum of 15,000 euros on an illegal import duty of a vehicle I owned in the UK and shipped over; with the excuse for the tariff being the engine capacity was greater than 2.200cc. When the Cypriot government finally adhered to the EU legislation on car imports and duties, I instructed my solicitor to try and get back the illegal charges, I was advised after a couple of months, that perusing it was pointless as the Government had no intensions of returning that money and a court case would be expensive and more than likely have a negative outcome.

Back on subject, having dealt and been paid by countries around the world, currency fluctuation is something I have learned to live with and overall usually evens itself out.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

That is really your own fault, I wanted to bring a 2.5 litre over with me in 2006 but decided against it when I saw the duty costs that I would have had to pay, illegal or not the tax was there and foolish to ignore.
Last edited by Uncle D on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

UK customs will not be in place till July and anything can come through the Ports without being declared that's why there are presently few shortages but going the other way most of the transport is empty. Don't take my word for it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/56086926
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Lloyd, decimalisation of GBP is a little over 50 years old this week, how long was it before you gave up telling everyone that it was a bad move back in 1971?

Just trying to use it as a guide as to when you’ll get over your Brexit ramblings? :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

You just have to laugh at the People on here who are so anti EU, but choose to live in EU Cyprus, the Irony's too much :lol:
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

Uncle D wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:47 am That is really your own fault, I wanted to bring a 2.5 litre over with me in 2006 but decided against it when I saw the duty costs I would have had to pay, illegal or not the tax was there and foolish to ignore.
Why was it my fault, I took on the hit on the chin because the car belonged to my wife and in her eyes was irreplaceable. Maybe you have bigger gonads than me and your wife bows to your commands. :shock:

The bottom line is Cyprus joined the EU in 2004 and should have followed EU guidelines.
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

WHL wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:46 am You just have to laugh at the People on here who are so anti EU, but choose to live in EU Cyprus, the Irony's too much :lol:
I think you will find many on this forum who live in Cyprus and debate the for and Against Brexit, moved to Cyprus before Cyprus joined the EU
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

BOB Peyia wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:15 am
WHL wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:46 am You just have to laugh at the People on here who are so anti EU, but choose to live in EU Cyprus, the Irony's too much :lol:
I think you will find many on this forum who live in Cyprus and debate the for and Against Brexit, moved to Cyprus before Cyprus joined the EU
Cyprus joining the EU didnt happen overnight,, I arrived in March 2003 and was well aware Cyprus was scheduled to join so to suggest people weren't aware of what was going to happen is grasping at straws. It was known that Cyprus applied for membership in 1990 and was an associate member from 1972.

Just to add, I brought a car with me in 2003 and due to personal issues I couldn't register it as a duty free and it sat in bond for nearly two years until I sent it back to the UK as I wouldn't pay the £14,500 demanded, that.s the way things were until the EU courts pressured Cyprus into complying.

Jim
Last edited by Jim B on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

BOB Peyia wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:04 am
Uncle D wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:47 am That is really your own fault, I wanted to bring a 2.5 litre over with me in 2006 but decided against it when I saw the duty costs I would have had to pay, illegal or not the tax was there and foolish to ignore.
Why was it my fault, I took on the hit on the chin because the car belonged to my wife and in her eyes was irreplaceable. Maybe you have bigger gonads than me and your wife bows to your commands. :shock:

The bottom line is Cyprus joined the EU in 2004 and should have followed EU guidelines.
I brought a couple of cars over, before doing that I found out how much dosh I would have to pay in duty's, It is our choice if we then bring the car over, I didn't like paying it, but no one had me by the goolies, If you or anyone else doesn't want to pay, then simply don't bring the car over.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I, for one , choose to have a home in Cyprus because it is the land of my birth. I am a brexiteer as I did not agree with the UK joining the EU which in my view was a political decision. As soon as I was given the opportunity to reverse that decision, I did.

As for the RoC's membership of the EU, well, we will have to wait and see if the upcoming reunification talks succeed. Should they not, then the RoC's membership may well be in doubt according to a recent article in the Cyprus Mail written by a well known UK based Cypriot born Judge.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:52 am I, for one , choose to have a home in Cyprus because it is the land of my birth. I am a brexiteer as I did not agree with the UK joining the EU which in my view was a political decision. As soon as I was given the opportunity to reverse that decision, I did.

As for the RoC's membership of the EU, well, we will have to wait and see if the upcoming reunification talks succeed. Should they not, then the RoC's membership may well be in doubt according to a recent article in the Cyprus Mail written by a well known UK based Cypriot born Judge.
Whether the reunifications talks succeed or not, ( They wont as Turkey wants two states) it will not have any bearing on Cyprus's continued membership of the EU, I don't know why a UK based Cypriot Judges views, would have any more bearing then your mate down the pubs view. :roll:
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Hi Dio, I am a remainer, as Brexit didn't make economic sense to me.............but I respect your view and as we can't change history I prefer to look forward now rather than keep debating the past !