Sterling doing well!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
living the dream

Re: Sterling doing well!

Post by living the dream »

Unless the point fits JB's narrative he will always bang the same EU drum and TRY to skew any point to fit his usual baseless arguments in the EU's favour. I wonder if JB is a failed magician !!! the art of a magician is diversion and distraction - something JB obviously has never mastered, as no matter how often JB tries to divert the truth to suit his narrative, posters on this site do a bit of a google search and find an opposite point to put across one that generally fits the current news feeds - I wonder if HIC was his glamorous assistant (sorry HIC - I couldn't resist)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I think the pair of you are seeing something that isn't there, you both should really read back further than just my posts.
Mirek posted about the "bloated EU civil service" to which I pointed out that its size is less than one tenth of the UK civil service; a very innocuous response I would say which doesn't deserve the name calling and insults that are usually part of LTD,s responses to my posts, civility appears to be beyond his capabilities.
By all means point out or post a link to show that my statement is incorrect and I'll hold my hands up and apologise though I doubt I will get the same response.
living the dream

I would suggest my responses and many other posters responses are based on the fact we have had to read your constant knocking of the UK its inhabitants and its Government whilst staunchly defending everything EU for the last 4 years. You have even tried to defend the EU's vaccine debacle and tried to dig up any snippet of info that supports your one sided narrative - Even HIC has acknowledged the EU's failings in this issue, and we all know how much HIC loves to bang the EU drum, but what sets HIC apart from you is, he will at times concede a point - you on the other hand will never be convinced of anything other than the EU is this benevolent institution that cannot set a foot wrong is all knowing, always right and never ever wrong.

Im not a great lover of the EU as my previous posts support this likewise my posts also show that I not a great supporter of the current UK Government either. What sets myself and the vast majority of posters on this forum apart from yourself is that we try to post a balanced view on any EU subject posted - something you fail to do leaving yourself constantly open to criticism.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The point you fail to grasp is most of my posts are in response to lies or misleading statements that are made on here, generally about the EU by people like you. You give yourself and fellow leavers too much credit if you believe you give a "balanced" view of the situation, if you did I wouldn't bother posting.
I can't understand how comparing numbers of EU and UK civil servants is running down the UK when it's just a fact of life.
If you wish to be in denial about this government ruining the United Kingdom , well that's up to you but dont expect everyone to just sit back and accept it.
Even in your last post your comments about my knocking of the British people is patently untrue though I agree I find the present government members a gang of crooks and charlatans.
Just because you don't agree with the "snippets" I post doesn't mean they're not true it it just means they dont fit into the world according to LTD.
Now as I've said many times no one has to read my posts, some people do actually find them interesting and if they're upsetting you so much just block me but just don't post paragraphs of insults.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

JimB,

I was talking about your use of selective statistics, nothing else. By doing this you diminish your whole argument, even if it may be true.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Children! Behave yourselves and get back to the subject of the thread.
living the dream

I generally grasp the point very quickly - I was quick enough to air my views on David Cameron bringing a referendum then resigning, I was quick enough to air my views on Theresa May's useless tenure and inability to hold a business negotiation, I have been quick enough air my views on Boris's tenure and the cronyism we have seen during this pandemic and my views that there should be public enquiries into the procurement process - I would say that my postings in complete contrast to your own are balanced.

The snippets you always bring to the table are usually always totally biased to the EU that fits your rose tinted view. I don't find your post upsetting at all I just find it amusing that after 4 years you still firmly believe in what you post leaving yourself completely open to criticism something you do not appear to be able to take. The Referendum happened, Brexit is done get over it yours and other constant bleating is not going to change the fact that Brexit is concluded. You remind me of an Anti-Vaxer or a Flat Earth Believer - no matter what physical or written evidence is placed in front of you nothing will ever change your view and you will search and search the web till you can find some snippet of info that fits your narrative.

As far as insults go if I was going to insult you properly you would certainly know about it but I tend to find if you have to result to serious insults you have already lost the debate / argument.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

No Varky,

If responding to a claim that the EU CS is bloated by comparing it in size to the UK CS is being selective then you must have a more analytical mind than most.
I could have posted that the EU CS has less Council Employees than Leeds City Council though no doubt I would be accused of being Anti Yorkshire or that Cyprus has 19000 CS to administer to a population of just over 1 million.
At least I give statistics and not just opinions

Jim
living the dream

Pound - Euro this morning at 1.16

Your statistics are as usual - wrong - Central Government 58,638 CS, Local Authorities 4,139 CS as per the 2020 Cypriot Statistical Service

So contrary to you own post of " AT LEAST I GIVE STATISTICS AND NOT JUST OPINIONS" you are giving opinions not qualified statistics
living the dream

JB - Lloyd's user name is Happy In Cyprus - I was going to suggest you change your username to Boris or Bojo but I know that would be a tag you would take great exception to - may I suggest you change your user name from Jim B to "Flip Flop" given you "Flip Flop" between statistics not opinions - opinions not statistics, facts not fiction - fiction not facts
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Maybe instead of spending time thinking up insulting names, maybe it's time to start posting a few credible links to back up your opinions.
You have a typical Brexit outlook, if you can't beat the facts start name calling and being insulting.
Below is a link providing a document with numbers of administrative Civil Servants in Cyprus, yes a few years old but I'm sure the numbers haven't trebled in that period. The 50000 plus number you're quoting is for all workers, not just administrative staff which no doubt you well know but just using it to show how clever you are.

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/re ... 61fe6db4f4
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

On Subject: I have just taken another good old shoeing in the USD / GBP rate - As HIC pointed out, you would have thought with Trump gone the USD might have stabilized, but it has not.

Off subject: Brexit has left the building like Elvis, should BR-rejoins or Elvis returns, most of us on this forum will be long gone and pushing up the daises. Life is to short so to spend paragraph after paragraph trying to get one over another person on this forum.

Time to move on
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

BOB Peyia wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:05 pm On Subject: I have just taken another good old shoeing in the USD / GBP rate - As HIC pointed out, you would have thought with Trump gone the USD might have stabilized, but it has not.

Off subject: Brexit has left the building like Elvis, should BR-rejoins or Elvis returns, most of us on this forum will be long gone and pushing up the daises. Life is to short so to spend paragraph after paragraph trying to get one over another person on this forum.

Time to move on
Fair comment Bob.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Pushing up the daisies is non-productive; I prefer eating dandelions by their roots!
living the dream

JB - Before you beat your chest I only took the numbers from Central Government & Local Authority based on the 14th Dec 2020 report. As far as definitions go according to Google Civil - Servants are classified as employees working for local and national government, however there is a different classification when working in a ministerial office. It can also be defined that Police, Fire & Ambulance may fall into the category of a "Civil Servant" however they are generally not included in the analytical data when referencing the Civil Service.

https://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/cystat/stati ... ub=1&sel=2