This is unbelievable

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

This is unbelievable

Post by Dominic »

Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black'

A Louisiana cemetery has apologised after refusing to bury a local black police officer because of a decades-old provision allowing only white people.

The Oaklin Springs Cemetery board met on Thursday to change its sales contract after an outcry over the "white human beings" rule.

Officer Darrell Semien's widow called it a "slap in the face" to be denied a plot "because he's black".

The board president said they had been unaware of the "horrible" policy.

Mr Semien, 55, was a local sheriff's deputy living in Oberlin, a town located 200 miles (320km) west of New Orleans. He died of cancer on Sunday.

When his widow Karla Semien and their children tried to purchase a plot at Oaklin Springs, a staff member told them it was a "whites only" graveyard.

"She even had paperwork on a clipboard showing me that only white human beings can be buried there," Mrs Semien wrote in Facebook post on Tuesday, adding that it was hard to believe this was happening in 2021.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55860238
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Re: This is unbelievable

Post by Jimgym »

How utterly disgusting. Losing her husband was bad enough and now this on top of it. Sometimes people really do utterly disgust me.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

That's appalling, and such unnecessary added grief for the recently bereaved widow.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Disgraceful.

Jim
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Disgusting - How was it that the Cemetery Board was unaware yet an employee of the cemetery had the paperwork to hand. The board should hold their heads in shame and resign
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

The deep south is still in the 19th century.
A lot of rednecks want the right to vote taken away from not just black people but women also.
David
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I was appalled to read about Jesse Owens. In school I was taught how he embarrassed Hitler in the Olympic Games in 1936. This turns out to be complete hogwash. See here:

https://www.britannica.com/story/was-je ... n-olympics

The next day—August 3, 1936—Owens won his first gold medal in the 100-meter dash. Hitler did not meet or shake hands with Owens. That said, there are several reports of a salute or wave. According to sports reporter and author Paul Gallico, writing from Berlin, Owens was “led below the honor box, where he smiled and bowed, and Herr Hitler gave him a friendly little Nazi salute, the sitting down one with the arm bent.” Owens himself later confirmed this, claiming that they exchanged congratulatory waves.

So, Owens was not personally snubbed by Hitler. However, Owens did feel that he had been snubbed by someone: U.S. Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt. A month after the Olympic Games, Owens told a crowd, “Hitler didn’t snub me—it was [Roosevelt] who snubbed me. The president didn’t even send me a telegram.” Roosevelt never publicly acknowledged Owens’s triumphs—or the triumphs of any of the 18 African Americans who competed at the Berlin Olympics. Only white Olympians were invited to the White House in 1936. A number of explanations have been offered for the president’s actions. Most likely, Roosevelt did not want to risk losing the support of Southern Democrats by appearing overly soft on the race issue. The black Olympians who competed in Berlin were not recognized by the White House until 2016, when Pres. Barack Obama invited the athletes’ relatives to an event in celebration of their lives and accomplishments.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I found this an interesting article regarding the riot of Bamber Bridge, a village not far from where I used to live.

https://www.blackpast.org/global-africa ... 0in%201943.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

I lived near Bamber Bridge myself for a few years, never heard of this riot.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Yes Jackie, there was quite a bond with the American forces in that part of world possibly due to the Freckleton plane crash, information about it is on Wikipedia.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks Jim
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:53 pm I was appalled to read about Jesse Owens. In school I was taught how he embarrassed Hitler in the Olympic Games in 1936. This turns out to be complete hogwash. See here:

https://www.britannica.com/story/was-je ... n-olympics

The next day—August 3, 1936—Owens won his first gold medal in the 100-meter dash. Hitler did not meet or shake hands with Owens. That said, there are several reports of a salute or wave. According to sports reporter and author Paul Gallico, writing from Berlin, Owens was “led below the honor box, where he smiled and bowed, and Herr Hitler gave him a friendly little Nazi salute, the sitting down one with the arm bent.” Owens himself later confirmed this, claiming that they exchanged congratulatory waves.

So, Owens was not personally snubbed by Hitler. However, Owens did feel that he had been snubbed by someone: U.S. Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt. A month after the Olympic Games, Owens told a crowd, “Hitler didn’t snub me—it was [Roosevelt] who snubbed me. The president didn’t even send me a telegram.” Roosevelt never publicly acknowledged Owens’s triumphs—or the triumphs of any of the 18 African Americans who competed at the Berlin Olympics. Only white Olympians were invited to the White House in 1936. A number of explanations have been offered for the president’s actions. Most likely, Roosevelt did not want to risk losing the support of Southern Democrats by appearing overly soft on the race issue. The black Olympians who competed in Berlin were not recognized by the White House until 2016, when Pres. Barack Obama invited the athletes’ relatives to an event in celebration of their lives and accomplishments.
Wow I never knew that, very interesting