Jolyon Maugham

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Jolyon Maugham

Post by Dominic »

His name came up in a recent thread about Amazon. It was to do with him taking the government to court over cronyism.

Here he is announcing the fact in The Guardian, back in November:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ment-court
There is an England of my mind. And in it those who have made their fortunes offer their time and talents in service of the public good, modelling self-sacrifice and respect for good governance to ensure the nation thrives. But that England is no longer this England.

Take the story of Kate Bingham. She is wife to a Treasury minister and cousin by marriage to Boris Johnson’s sister. Despite having – by her own admission – no vaccines experience, she was appointed by the prime minister, as far as we know without competition, to head up the “vaccines taskforce”.
Given how successful Kate Bingham has been running the task force, do you think the man Jolyon might be having some regrets over this article>?

Or is he, as I described him in the original Amazon post, a colossal knob?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Re: Jolyon Maugham

Post by Jimgym »

I doubt he has any regrets and yes he is a colossal knob!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

He maybe a colossal knob but he asks the questions in my mind that need to be asked.
Off the top of my head I believe 11 billion pounds worth of contracts have been given to friends, relatives and benefactors of this present government. Jobs have been given to the likes of Dido Harding who is heading Track and Trace who left Talk Talk under a cloud.
Maugham is just one of a group of people from the legal profession who are questioning the actions of this government.

Jim
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

And the EU gravy train still rolls on with MEP's noses well and truly in the gravy boat, still staying in the most expensive hotels in the world, flying around in private jets, chauffuered cars, the best in fine dining, expensive champagne & wine, claiming vast amounts of expenses the list goes on. Britain may not be perfect but in comparison to the EU gravy train lauded by MEP, Commissioners and the Un Elected Presidents the UK are rank amateurs.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

living the dream wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:27 pm And the EU gravy train still rolls on with MEP's noses well and truly in the gravy boat, still staying in the most expensive hotels in the world, flying around in private jets, chauffuered cars, the best in fine dining, expensive champagne & wine, claiming vast amounts of expenses the list goes on. Britain may not be perfect but in comparison to the EU gravy train lauded by MEP, Commissioners and the Un Elected Presidents the UK are rank amateurs.
So that makes it OK then?

The EU would have to go along way to catch up with the 11 billion pound contracts given to friends and family and this from the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... racts.html

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dido Harding gets paid £10,000 per day. She employs 1,000 consultants at £1,000 a day each - The Government also employ some at £17,000 a day each.

Yet Test and Trace doesn't work. It's been a shambles. Like almost everything the government has done (other than vaccine procurement)
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

I’m in complete agreement, I’m not aware of what Didi Harding gets paid and if you are correct it is an obscene amount of money and once this pandemic is over and done with I for one would hope that public hearings will be instigated to investigate how UK tax payer money has been spent and the justifications of these ridiculous salary’s. HIC - to be fair there is a big difference between a state owned aircraft and private corporate charters which cost an arm and a leg which I know from experience having started my career in this particular sector before moving into air freight then the commercial sector.