Customs Grab Ham Sandwiches

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Diocletian

Re: Customs Grab Ham Sandwiches

Post by Diocletian »

Of course she is a well balanced commentator.....not. You are such a predictable joke of a man, really.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Incidentally, one of the many reasons that I like Brexit is the very real fact that, since the end of the transition period, one of my portfolios has risen by upwards of £50k. This represents the positivity felt by investors and business people in the long term potential of the UK economy post EU.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:07 pm
Jim B wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:22 am
Jimgward wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:10 pm

You are either a wind-up merchant or an imbecile. You can enlighten us, as no reasonable person would act the way you do
Jim W

I can only think that he despises the UK so much he's happy to see peoples livelyhoods destroyed. Whether they are Remainers or Leavers I wouldn't wish that on anyone and would suggest anyone who agrees with his comments meets your second assessment.

Jim
What I actually despise is mealymouthed cretins that constantly snipe at people in a demeaning way who have an opposing opinion to theirs on a subject.
If you want to criticise a Government constantly, why not choose the one of your host Country that has for 56 years operated outside of its own Constitution.
I'm not sure if you're referring to Jim W or me as a "Cretin" but I do know the other Jim does actually live and work in the UK and has the democratic right (at the moment) to criticise a Prime Minister who has a proven track record of being a liar and is supported by a government that is quite happy to profit from people less advantaged than themselves, something you are gloating about in one of your other posts.
I have put forward my arguments over Brexit to many leavers on here long before you arrived on the scene and apart from one or two their responses have been polite and reasoned whereas yours tend to resort to personal name calling and rudeness.
As long as I hold a British passport and pay UK taxes I have every right as a British Citizen to comment (IMHO) on the ineptitude of this present UK government and at the same time not having a vote in Cyprus I see no point in commenting on a system I can have no involvement in.

Jim
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I should have pinpointed my cretin comment but suffice to say, it was not aimed at everyone.

The current Government may not be to everybody's taste but it is to millions of people. I too do not approve of all measures and policies that it has adopted however, I do not spend all of my time slagging them off to all and sundry. If I have an issue with a particular matter, I take it up with my MP or Downing Street in extremis. For example, I have had to recently renew my driving licence and some 4 months since applying and paying for it I have received no licence! I have complained to the DVLA and gotten nowhere so I took the complaint to Grant Shapps and lo and behold I get called 3 times in a day and the licence is in the post.

It is pointless in this place to constantly criticise. It is constant negativity that will prevent more people engaging in my opinion.

All the best.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Anybody who criticises other people for being rude then calls people cretins is clearly waiting for their turn with the family brain cell.

I remember having to use an import agent a couple of years ago. A complete pain.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:01 pm Read the other day about one Scottish fishing vessel owner who had just lost a £30,000 catch.
Well I’m sure that Sturgeon will put all that right when she has here independence wish.
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:01 pm Thousands of hauliers are losing money hand over fist, while trucks are stuck in lorry parks and motorway queues.
The french close the border for COVID reasons and Brexit gets the blame?
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:01 pm Read the other day about fruit farms who can no longer recruit the East European labour they previously relied on to pick fruit.
An opportunity to get the work shy British working, if they are active and refuse to work then stop their benefits.
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:01 pm One of the pool covers we sell is manufactured in the UK. To-date they have been delivered to us simply and easily. Had it confirmed yesterday that In future, every single consignmeent (some of which are single covers) will require the services of an Import agent and a Customs agent, which will add circa €60 + VAT to the cost of each cover...and take an extra few days for Customs clearance. The end user will ultimately end up paying that cost.

This is totally over the top! There is a simple form that needs to be filled out and then it’ll sail through customs. The biggest issue at the moment is that there aren’t enough Customs personnel to do the inspection but this will settle down in time. If your supplier is struggling I’ll do them for them €50 + vat.... I reckon I would be able to raise around 15/20 an hour. ;)
Last edited by The Aquila on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

So it's okay for other posters to be rude but if I choose to be rude I am in some way a one cell brain holder. Hardly the sort of response one would expect from a university educated admin. Such a shame that as an individual you write good articles about travel and exploring the Island yet seem to kowtow to that small bunch of people that just want to bitch and moan.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:30 pm I should have pinpointed my cretin comment but suffice to say, it was not aimed at everyone.

The current Government may not be to everybody's taste but it is to millions of people. I too do not approve of all measures and policies that it has adopted however, I do not spend all of my time slagging them off to all and sundry. If I have an issue with a particular matter, I take it up with my MP or Downing Street in extremis. For example, I have had to recently renew my driving licence and some 4 months since applying and paying for it I have received no licence! I have complained to the DVLA and gotten nowhere so I took the complaint to Grant Shapps and lo and behold I get called 3 times in a day and the licence is in the post.

It is pointless in this place to constantly criticise. It is constant negativity that will prevent more people engaging in my opinion.

All the best.
By all means pinpoint me as a cretin, not a problem and as you say everyone's entitled to an opinion, just like me. Please provide some positive news over the last two weeks that have benefited the public in general apart from you're personal portfolio?
You're suggesting everyone should just grin and bear it, and not criticise a government that has proved its incompetence and whose popularity has plummeted according to the latest polls.
Not everyone is as fortunate as you in correspondence with MPs, most people just get fobbed off with the party line but then the questions are not as innocuous or as simple as yours.
This government is dangerous and the quicker people like you see it for what it is the better.

Jim
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I am not interested in the public at large, selfish I know. As for corresponding with MP's, that's a citizens right and do not get fobbed off. If the reply you get is not good enough, keep going until it is.
This Government is no more dangerous than any other. It is employing powers with regard to the pandemic that are not ideal but beyond that I do not have an issue with them. Of course, the minute I do, I will let them know.

Toddle pip.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:21 pm So it's okay for other posters to be rude but if I choose to be rude I am in some way a one cell brain holder. Hardly the sort of response one would expect from a university educated admin. Such a shame that as an individual you write good articles about travel and exploring the Island yet seem to kowtow to that small bunch of people that just want to bitch and moan.
No, I will explain it slowly. I didn't have an issue with the rudeness. I had an issue with you criticising rudeness, and then being rude yourself. It is like standing in a puddle shouting that you hate people who stand in puddles.

As to kowtowing to anybody, that is total bull. I manage to annoy most of you at one point or another, which indicates to me I have got the balance about right. If you want an example of that, I was singing the praises of the UK's handling of the vaccine the other day,

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/001ee2e6-a ... 498122ab31
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Diocletian

As I was the one that started this thread I have watched with interest and the usual suspects have had their say – Hic and Jimgward will argue with anyone about anything and that’s fair enough if it keeps them amused – I am not a political person and recently gave up an argument in the politics section because at the end of the day there are no winners in political arguments because each side will be right no matter what and all sides want the last word to claim victory, But you come out of a different mould – For a start to pick an avatar name like - Diocletian You must have searched endlessly to find something that befits your assumed status – And I believe you think you are above everyone else – specifically on this forum – In your own words - ( I am not interested in the public at large ) Well that say’s it all -You would not think of dealing with Menial Tasker’s – It would have to be your MP or maybe the Prime Minister.
Also strange that your footnote should be the opening line to a Pink Floyd song - That throws a spanner in the works as you certainly do not come across as a Pink Floyd sort of person – But that also must have took some searching to find something radical that you think is good enough to footnote your posts. It would be much easier to put your opinion across and argue the rights or wrongs as the other members do but to come out with things like (You are such a predictable joke of a man ) is totally uncalled for – I don’t agree with a lot of the things Lloyd says on here but that is his opinion which everyone is entitled too but your comments take it to another level.
Dominic does not need to explain anything slowly to you – He has to put up with some c**p on here and edit or move posts to where it cannot be seen so easily – I myself have been bitten a couple of times with comments I have made but at the end of the day it is all taken in good humour and we all know where the line is.
So in my final assessment there is no easy way to put this I conclude that you are a total Knob and obviously on a suicide mission on this forum – You have poked most of the main contributors in the daily discussion area including the site admin so if this forum and the people and opinions on it do not match up to your status why don’t you give everyone a break and move out ?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

As the one who started the Tammy, by calling you a name, I apologise to the other forum members for reducing it that way.

However, I am pretty convinced said poster is someone who was one here before and caused problems with constant sniping, however, even if I’m wrong, he does set himself up.
I agree with TransAm that I do argue on a lot of matters re Brexit and the currently Government in the UK, as both are affecting my life badly and the governments handling of Covid, in particular, is causing untold grief to the UK in every way. We are an island with the worst figures in Europe and only now, today, are they even debating Quarantine, after 10 months. The BBC news, last night, interestingly referred to current dealing of travellers as ‘quarantine’ when it is actually ‘isolation’ and radically different. They haven’t done that before - yet the BBC gets accused of being left-wing? Methinks they’ve been told to use language in a particular way. Then again, they’ve had a new Director General appointed to lead them a particular way.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:01 pm Incidentally, one of the many reasons that I like Brexit is the very real fact that, since the end of the transition period, one of my portfolios has risen by upwards of £50k. This represents the positivity felt by investors and business people in the long term potential of the UK economy post EU.
That's nothing, one of my portfolios has risen by 200 grand......... well you started it :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:59 am
Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:39 am Diocletian reminds me of that old Monty Python sketch "Spot The Brain Cell". That would be a challenge!
Nothing as rude as that is there? It is no wonder this forum appears to be populated by people that can, on a daily basis, insult and call people names, be rude to a serving British PM and then get offended when someone has the temerity to point out their deficiencies.

In that regard the predictable responses by certain people will generate a yawn on my part.
The Irony is just too much :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

This is for Merek, I mentioned an article in another thread yesterday relating to a Cheese manufacturer and thought you may be interested in reading it. Rather than post it in the original thread I thought it best to post it in the politics section.

https://westcountrybylines.co.uk/quadru ... it-whammy/

Jim