Maybe 'A Deal' wasn't a deal after all?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
The Aquila

Re: Maybe 'A Deal' wasn't a deal after all?

Post by The Aquila »

The biggest problem we have found with both imports into the UK and exports is that no one is clear of the documentation needed!

So far, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium have all requested different paperwork, even as far as proof of membership for a local chamber of commerce!

The daftest thing about it is the spares being shipped are all exempt from duties and taxes.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The parts and equipment being shipped is exempt from duties and taxes globally and have been for many years so there is no requirement for these paperwork exercises.

This is just people being awkward and cantankerous (or even not even understanding) because nothing as really changed for these particular parts and services.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I should imagine that any new regime takes time to settle, just ask Creepy Joe.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Shipments from the EU to UK to consumers, have to have VAT charged at source and paid to the UK, so a UK VAT number is needed.

Amazon UK has also stopped shipments to the EU, including Ireland and at this point, Northern Ireland as well.
jeba

Post by jeba »

The Aquila wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:19 pm The biggest problem we have found with both imports into the UK and exports is that no one is clear of the documentation needed!

So far, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium have all requested different paperwork, even as far as proof of membership for a local chamber of commerce!

The daftest thing about it is the spares being shipped are all exempt from duties and taxes.
For customers residing in Germany it would be a real hassle if goods shipped from the UK were subject to customs. When I was living there I had to go to the nearest customs office (some 20 km away) where non-EU parcels were opened by customs in my presence. Then I was given a customs invoice which I had to pay at a different office before I could go back to collect my parcel. It would make me think twice before ordering from the UK.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Jeba, I am talking about industrial equipment & spares that are exempt.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lloyd.
I'm sure you'll recall when Amazon were shipping parcels from the UK via Switzerland that we had to pay duty at the Post Office?
I'm sure the Cypriot C&E won't be far behind the other countries charging import fees.
In fact just received a parcel of Christmas presents this morning which had been opened and checked.
Jim
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

May be other counties will also get fed up with this and hold their own referendum about leaving the EU and take back their own controls over these issues which is losing them revenue....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Get fed up with what?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The import / export restrictions and costs.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Oh, you mean caused by a non-EU state trading with the EU? Just like Taiwan, Somali, Belize or Mongolia?
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

No, I mean the average / self employed person that just makes enough of a living to survive and relied on UK business.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:15 pm No, I mean the average / self employed person that just makes enough of a living to survive and relied on UK business.
Its Brexit that's caused all their problems.

Jim
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Agreed, but just like the majority of the voters in the UK, they’re more likely to look at the little parts that affect them rather than the bigger picture.

If any other country calls a referendum then these are more likely to be the leave voters. Just as they were in the UK.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I would have thought the exact opposite to be the case.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Maybe, but did you also think the UK would remain at the time of the referendum?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I'm sure once leavers start seeing through the lies they were told, they may change their view on Brexit.
Remember Gove claiming there would be frictionless trade between the UK and the EU, see below.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-lorri ... t-12182181

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Gove is a weasel. Likely to replace Boris at some point and God help us all, at least Boris is a stupid, lazy person, who doesn't have empathy. Gove is wicked and sharp and cunning.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A pox on Gove.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

This is really worrying, the number of Bees have plummeted in the UK and the government go and do this.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 84693.html

Jim