The Joy of brexit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Beechwood

Re: The Joy of brexit

Post by Beechwood »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:00 am On a two parcel consignment we are now paying €140 extra to ship from the UK to Cyprus. This includes an €85 Customs clearance fee. Once things settle down we will be reviewing our cover prices to reflect the additional charges. Joe Public will inevitably end up paying the cost of this nonsense.
Can’t you source these products as cheaply within the EU?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

This is for Trev.

You asked a question on the Title Deeds Thread about changes after Brexit but as the Thought Police are complaing about us going off subject I thought I would post here.

It was just to mention a very active post on another Chat Group that was saying new arrivals after the 31/12/2020 will not have reciprocal medical cover and will not qualify for Gesy.
It looks like people who are considering moving here will have to factor in the cost of private medical care and all that it entails regarding pre-conditions.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

Re. your last paragraph, that's exactly what we had to do when we moved to Cyprus, before it joined the EU.

If you can't afford it, don't move, simple.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:34 pm Jim

Re. your last paragraph, that's exactly what we had to do when we moved to Cyprus, before it joined the EU.

If you can't afford it, don't move, simple.

Jackie
Trev was asking about changes since Brexit. I had to pay the familys insurance when we first arrived, mine was paid by the company I worked for.
I wonder what the position of the around thirty thousand who have lived here for years but failed to register prior to Brexit will be regarding reciprocal health care?
Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Thanks Les.
I wasnt aware of that.

Jim
jeba

Post by jeba »

I had a broker account with Indepemdent Brokers UK which because of Brexit has been been moved to Ireland. Because of this I had to provide new identification, proof of residence etc. Which I did in December already. But as of this week my account has been blocked so I can´t trade because their backoffice has a backlog in processing all those documents from who knows how many customers. Now I´m taking Brexit as a very annoying personal matter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

Neither was I, as I understand it the E121 form was issued to people from a country within the EU, who moved to another EU country.

My husband and I were obliged to insure ourselves privately for health care when we moved to Cyprus in 2002, as did all the other expats that we knew.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

It is probable that Jackie is right; the E121 form has not been superseded by the S1. I have the E121, issued just a few months ago to replace my former one. It would seem that the Cypriot authorities look on it with grave suspicion! I suspect the reason is that my health insurance is managed by the Swiss authorities and not the British ones. It is supposed to be a 'for life' document but the Cyprus authorities ignore this and give it a three year lifetime and, getting a renewal is a hassle. The Swiss authorities were a little bit narked for having to arrange a replacement. The Swiss do not issue the S1.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

HIC - indeed, all fishing communities were duped but he promise of extra catch quotas and no restrictions on trade - the reality is totally different. They now cannot sell their produce in Europe, because they have to conform to strict measures they never prepared for. Almost to a person, they voted for Brexit and believed they would benefit and that’s the problem. Many voted for selfish reasons and not for the good of others or the generations to come.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

LB

The E forms, as in E121, were forms used for member states of the EEC, Cyprus did not become a member until 2004.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Apology accepted, LB, we all make mistakes.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

This may affect people on here, I've never been to the occupied areas but it appears many of us won't be going anytime soon.

https://cypriumnews.com/amp/2021/02/21/ ... -the-trnc/

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:51 am
Jim B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:17 pm This may affect people on here, I've never been to the occupied areas but it appears many of us won't be going anytime soon.

Jim
The article does seem to say that non EU persons with a residence permit can cross. Hope so, we used to go over once a fortnight.
It does Les, but who is classed as a resident? Is it an MU1, MU2 or MU3?
I think what it means is visitors from non EU countries but it's another restriction on the British General Public which wasn't there prior to Brexit.

Jim
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Restriction or not it will suit the Cypriot Hotel trade who hate to see these tourists going to accommodation on the other side. By Brexit default you could say that's a bonus for them.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

bromerzz wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 am Restriction or not it will suit the Cypriot Hotel trade who hate to see these tourists going to accommodation on the other side. By Brexit default you could say that's a bonus for them.
I think there's been a kick up about the number of Israelis and Russians coming in through Larnaca and heading North and the British have just been caught up in it.
Most British head either North or South for their holidays so it will mainly affect day trippers.

Jim
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jim B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:17 pm This may affect people on here, I've never been to the occupied areas but it appears many of us won't be going anytime soon.

Jim
What´s the background to this? Is it corona-related?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hi Jeba, I don't think it's anything to do with Covid. I've read several articles which complained about Israelis flying directly into Larnaca and then having 2 weeks holidays in the occupied areas. Alot of Russians do it as well because of the availability of cheap flights to Larnaca and this is one way to stop it.

Jim
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The majority of these workers were seasonal Eastern European workers, many of which returned home as they were unable to work during to the pandemic!

But hey, let’s blame everything on Brexit!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And if there are so many people out of work in the UK then why don't they have these jobs ??
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I think the question should be, why were the majority of seasonal workers from Eastern Europe?

Like Cyprus, the low salaries combined with basic accommodation means they can still afford to either send money back to their home country where the cost of living is much lower. Or take it back with them.

They are jobs that nobody in either country will do for the pittance of a salary while living in a caravan in a field in the middle of nowhere.
Last edited by PhotoLady on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"