The Joy of brexit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: The Joy of brexit

Post by Jimgward »

Read the linked posts in that Twitter feed. Very elightening
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The Aquila wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:10 pm
Jimgward wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:08 am On Newsnight yesterday, it was stated that we would need 5 trade deals of the size of a US deal, to substitute for the loss of EU deals…

Also, the loss of financial income from London is underestimated and will be massive to the economy. With lockdown, people don’t appreciate how much London will suffer and when the furlough money stops, massive unemployment will ensue.
What EU trade deal has been lost? Imports from the EU into the UK are still tariff free as are UK made exports to the EU. Fishing is debatable admittedly but the financial services is relatively fluid as pretty well anyone can work from anywhere now with remote access. If fact, I sure I read somewhere that European financial service companies are opening “offices” in the UK to get around this?
Yer avin a larf

There are tarrifs and vat and other charges being made all across the board
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Where?

Seriously Jim, can you give me an example as I am not seeing it through the company I work for.
jeba

Post by jeba »

The Aquila wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:10 pm If fact, I sure I read somewhere that European financial service companies are opening “offices” in the UK to get around this?
I can attest to the opposite, namely that financial services have been relocated to the EU. I used to have a brokerage account with a UK broker (the UK branch of a US broker, to be exact) and my account has been moved to Ireland, which I guess, will now be collecting the taxes which used to go to the UK.
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:20 am

You do come up with some absolute crap, BOB Peyia. I'm sure most of us buy local produce where we can, particularly fruit and produce, but there are many UK-made products which we all like and buy, like Bisto, Oxo Cubes, HP sauce, Heinz Salad Cream, Heinz mayonaise, Birds Custard, Tesco mustards, M&S Foods, Tesco vinegar, Waitrose salt, Homepride Flour, Tate & Lyle Sugars (both of which my wife prefers to local), Silver Spoon Syrup, Tesco Bran Flakes, Options Chocolate, Tesco Scottish Oats, Tiptree Ginger Preserve, etc - the aforegoing are just a selection of things I have scanned in our kitchen cupboards, but there will be loads I have missed, including those in the freezer.

With respect, wife and I are entitled to buy what we want, and from where we want, with our money. We don't need "We want our Sovereignty and blue passports back" twerps dictating what we can and can't buy!
Not sure about talking crap - based on your cupboard it would seem your tummy is still in good old blighty

Many of the products you listed are world wide brands and manufactured in Europe and therefore are not solely a UK product nor are they distributed from the UK, others are supermarket brands which are exclusive to the supermarkets based in the UK.

Its another Strawman you are trying to portray. Let's put it another way when you lived in blighty, how many Cypriot products were on the shelves of your local supermarket?

Many of those UK products you require are and will continue to be available from Phillipos supermarket in Peyia.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:20 am but there are many UK-made products which we all like and buy, like Bisto, Oxo Cubes, HP sauce, Heinz Salad Cream, Heinz mayonaise, Birds Custard, Tesco mustards, M&S Foods, Tesco vinegar, Waitrose salt, Homepride Flour, Tate & Lyle Sugars (both of which my wife prefers to local), Silver Spoon Syrup, Tesco Bran Flakes, Options Chocolate, Tesco Scottish Oats, Tiptree Ginger Preserve, etc - the aforegoing are just a selection of things I have scanned in our kitchen cupboards, but there will be loads I have missed, including those in the freezer.

With respect, wife and I are entitled to buy what we want, and from where we want, with our money.
With all due respect, I feel you must charge your customers far too much if you can afford to buy British foodstuffs. I find your list is absolutely crazy; the OH aided me in trimming it down to what we believe we have bought from it over the last 24 years: we think that we may have bought Ginger preserve a couple of times and Tate & Lyle Demerara sugar on one occasion because it was the only one that was not a solid block. We do have half a tin of Birds Custard left but I am sure we did not buy it in Cyprus (maybe daughter brought it over from Switzerland). In addition, we have bought perhaps 10 or a dozen frozen Tesco meals over the years, not because we like them but in emergencies.

Otherwise, most of our imported foods have come from Germany (Lidl) or from their suppliers. We have a definite policy of buying as much Cypriot produce as possible even where it may be a penny at two more expensive – for example, we buy Cypriot olive oil mainly because the transport of Greek oil implies an increase of carbon emissions. Similarly, we eschew UK products as much as possible for the sake of the environment, just as we avoid foreign fruit and vegetables, wherever possible (Cypriot stuff is usually better and fresher, anyway).
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Today I witnessed the most pathetic and childish behaviour from the German customs department. We shipped a batch of spares from the USA to Germany for reconditioning last week and an almost identical batch from the Uk earlier this week.

The import from the USA was cleared through within a few days of arrival and with the declaration and paperwork all in English. The batch sent from the Uk was rejected because the declaration were not in German!

And people say that they arent acting like children ?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I do not know that "pathetic and childish behaviour" is not a bit of an exaggeration. It is probably just the difference between two customs agents, one of whom may be better trained than the other or simply does not understand the English terms used to describe the contents. Do you know what, for example, Druckbegrenzungsventil is in English (fairly common techie term).
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

It’s a relief valve, possibly hydraulic.

I work in an industry where the international language is English as every single parts book, contract, operations manual, order form all for German engines are all in English. So in my mind, this is pathetic childish behaviour!

Even if the person receiving the declaration wasn’t up to speed with English then there would have been someone else that should have been able to help with this.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Just read that some Eurosceptics in Germany have persuaded the Constitutional Court to prohibit the President of Germany signing off on the EU Pandemic Releif Fund of some €750m due to their concerns over it being a Commission power grab!
It would seem that not everyone in the EU is happy with burdening their state with possibly unreturned debt.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

It’s crumbling 😉
jeba

Post by jeba »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:48 pm Just read that some Eurosceptics in Germany have persuaded the Constitutional Court to prohibit the President of Germany signing off on the EU Pandemic Releif Fund of some €750m due to their concerns over it being a Commission power grab!
Can you give a quote for that? I doubt that the reason you gave is the one they had given. And it´s not the one I read n German news outlets. According to what I read (e.g.here: https://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inl ... 65145.html) the reason given was that enacting that law could cause Germany to make commitments which might become irrevocable even if they should be ruled unconstitutional. So it´s not a final ruling but merely a ruling to buy time for legal scrutiny.
Diocletian wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:48 pm It would seem that not everyone in the EU is happy with burdening their state with possibly unreturned debt.
That´s very true. I´d even guess a majority of Germans (inluding me) aren´t happy about that.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It seems all is not going well in Germany..
" Red tape farce of the German vaccination roll-out as it emerges 80-year-olds have to fill in TEN forms just to get the jab "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... forms.html
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:37 am It seems all is not going well in Germany..
" Red tape farce of the German vaccination roll-out as it emerges 80-year-olds have to fill in TEN forms just to get the jab "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... forms.html
There is a lot going wrong back home. The issues are ranging from tax laws that had retroactive effects to a health minister defying rulings of supreme courts (by ordering authorities to not apply them generally but only to the individual case) to federalism showing it´s bad sides (e. g. regarding the corona-crisis or an education system with 16 different curricula causing problem for kids moving between states) to minimal wage and labour laws making private care unaffordable for most, thereby forcing the elderly into nursing homes. Not to forget the problem with undesirable immigrants.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

The building of the German Federal Supreme Court (Bundesgerichtshof) is seen in Karlsruhe
Judges at Germany's top court temporarily halted the ratification process
Germany’s top court said on Friday that the country's president, Frank-Walter Steinmeier, cannot yet sign off on a law ratifying the EU's €750 billion ($884 billion) coronavirus recovery fund.
In a statement, judges at the constitutional court in Karlsruhe said they must first investigate several legal challenges against the debt-financed investment plan.
The ruling comes after both chambers of parliament ratified legislation this week, did not give a time frame when a legal decision could be expected.
Legal filings did not name the five individuals who brought the initial challenge, but judges said the ratification "shall not be executed pending the decision of the Federal Constitutional Court on the temporary injunction application."
The court gave only the first alphabet of each of the challengers' names, although members of the far-right AfD party had vowed to fight passage of the EU fund.
Lawmakers' approval of the huge fund marked a breach in a German taboo against pooled debt.
German leaders have argued that it was necessary to get the bloc back on the road to growth after a pandemic that has ravaged the economy.
The massive fund is part of a €1.8 trillion budget up to 2027 agreed by the EU’s 27 members in December.
jf/aw (AFP, Reuters)
jeba

Post by jeba »

Diocletian wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:07 pm The building of the German Federal Supreme Court (Bundesgerichtshof) is seen in Karlsruhe
Judges at Germany's top court temporarily halted the ratification process
Germany’s top court said on Friday that the country's president, Frank-Walter Steinmeier, cannot yet sign off on a law ratifying the EU's €750 billion ($884 billion) coronavirus recovery fund.
In a statement, judges at the constitutional court in Karlsruhe said they must first investigate several legal challenges against the debt-financed investment plan.
The ruling comes after both chambers of parliament ratified legislation this week, did not give a time frame when a legal decision could be expected.
Legal filings did not name the five individuals who brought the initial challenge, but judges said the ratification "shall not be executed pending the decision of the Federal Constitutional Court on the temporary injunction application."
The court gave only the first alphabet of each of the challengers' names, although members of the far-right AfD party had vowed to fight passage of the EU fund.
Lawmakers' approval of the huge fund marked a breach in a German taboo against pooled debt.
German leaders have argued that it was necessary to get the bloc back on the road to growth after a pandemic that has ravaged the economy.
The massive fund is part of a €1.8 trillion budget up to 2027 agreed by the EU’s 27 members in December.
jf/aw (AFP, Reuters)
Yes, and where does it say "...they were due to their concerns over it being a Commission power grab..."?
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

In an article in another German publication that I saw yesterday but cannot now find. You could of course use your own fingers to search. It was originally on the Facebook News tab.