Ain't that just so...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: Ain't that just so...

Post by Jim B »

Continuing on, to make it simpler 64% of the population did not vote or support Brexit; that's almost two thirds of the population. The only comparison to Brexit is the minority power grabs of the Communists in the October Revolution and the Nazi's in the 1930's. The 64% have been ignored as if we don't exist and the country is as devided as ever.
Yes, lethargy of younger voters gave the result to Leave but no doubt they didnt believe the older generation would commit self harm because to be honest no one except the ultra rich are going to come out of this with any tangible benefits. By all means provide a list of the benefits you believe we are going to gain, I would be really interested to see what they are.
People are not just bleating about it any more, you will see the fight back will start in the New Year.
What was it they said "No deal is better than a bad deal"; well they even lied about that.
Finally, it really doesn't matter whether the UK is fifth, fourth, third, second or richest country in the world we still have Food Banks and UNESCO feeding our hungry kids while the rich get richer.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Erasmus promise.
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

UK - 73% of the population voted of which leave vote was 53.4% the remain vote 46.6%
Scotland - 67.2% of the population voted of which leave vote was 38% the remain vote was 62%
Ireland - 62.7% of the population voted of which leave vote was 44.8% the remain vote was 55.2%
Wales - 71.7% of the population voted of which leave vote was 52.5% the remain vote was 47.5%
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

You're still dodging the point, only around a third of the population voted in favour of leaving and a large number of those have passed on,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 41971.html

you can dress it up any way you want but that's the facts of the matter.
I lived just south of Fleetwood and can remember the decline of the fishing industry there which was in part due to the Icelandic Cod Wars, not the EU as you suggested.
Blojo decided to pull out of Erasmus, again nothing to do with the EU forcing the UK out. He's supposedly introducing a cheaper version in September next year but seeing is believing and let's face it his track record on telling the truth is tenuous at best.
You leavers whinged about the EU for over forty years and us Remainers have been whinging about the result for four so we've got a long way to go to catch you lot up though I believe the younger generation can see clearly what you robbed them of and gave them in return and they won't be so lethargic next time.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

From those who cannot play the video above;

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brit ... -99gscp5kt

At least we know where we stand.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

So what is the FO for then?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:15 pm So what is the FO for then?
Dominic
I've often asked that question myself. Garden parties I suppose.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I thought it was to help UK citizens in Foreign Lands
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:15 pm So what is the FO for then?
To keep the Gin industry employed :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:56 pm You're still dodging the point, only around a third of the population voted in favour of leaving and a large number of those have passed on,
This is an outrageous twisting of the data. The Chinese authorities would blush if they tried the same trick.

Leave won. It was a simple vote, and they won. You may not like the fact that they won (I don't), but they did.

To say they had anything other than a mandate is a complete lie, and a gross manipulation of the result.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This was the result of the 1975 vote:

67% in favour on a national turnout of 64%

[Src: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Unit ... %20support]

That means that of the total number of voters, only 43% voted to join the EC.

(64 / 100) * 67

So by your logic, we shouldn't even have been in the EU in the first place.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:46 am
Jim B wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:56 pm You're still dodging the point, only around a third of the population voted in favour of leaving and a large number of those have passed on,
This is an outrageous twisting of the data. The Chinese authorities would blush if they tried the same trick.

Leave won. It was a simple vote, and they won. You may not like the fact that they won (I don't), but they did.

To say they had anything other than a mandate is a complete lie, and a gross manipulation of the result.
Dominic, Leave Legitimately won.

However, in most countries, where such a momentous vote was taking place, there would be a stipulated number over 50, before a vote for change carried, or it would create a debate to held to find the parameters, then another vote held. (Such as Ireland)

It was badly managed by Cameron and people, without doub’t, were being asked to vote for something they had little knowledge of, on both sides.

It should therefore have been a vote to investigate the options, draw up the conclusions and put them to another vote.

Remember, that Scotland’s vote for Devolution in 1979 had to achieve greater than 40% of the ELECTORATE.

If a referendum doesn't have strict parameters, then it wont achieve countrywide support.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:46 am

Where did I say that Leave didnt win? LTD stated the majority of people in the UK voted leave and I said that's not true, which it isn't. 36% is around a third as I said and that's the actual percentage of people in the UK who voted to leave.
What LTD should have written was 52% of people in the referendum voted to leave rather than 52% of the population. Theres nothing outrageous in the truth.
You said the same thing to Diocletion when he claimed the last GE was support for Brexit when only 46% voted for Blojo.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:40 pm [
You said the same thing to Diocletion when he claimed the last GE was support for Brexit when only 46% voted for Blojo.

Jim
No I didn't. I said the General Election was not a referendum on Europe.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The only outrageous thing written was LTDs claim that 52% of the population voted for Brexit which was patently untrue.

You are correct regarding your post about 46%, sorry about that but there definitely was a claim in one post the the last GE was a vote for Brexit and it was pointed out that only 46% voted for Blojo and his get Brexit done.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

My objection in that thread was about the claim that there had been three votes on Brexit.

Anyway, what about my point that only 43% of the voting population voted for us to enter Europe in the first place?
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I think that the traditional Labour seats that voted conservative and helped win them the election is enough proof that it was a vote for brexit
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Or maybe they didn't like the thought of Corbyn as PM.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:08 pm Or maybe they didn't like the thought of Corbyn as PM.
Exactly.