Amazon UK..

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
The Aquila

Re: Amazon UK..

Post by The Aquila »

Lloyd, it’s happening so why not just stop banging the same bloody drum?!

You ain’t going to change it so why not just think of ways you can save the UK from its peril?! Or would that entail giving up the life you love here to save the country you left because you didn’t want to be there?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Ŵell, today, I received yet another bundle of warnings from HM Government, telling me to prepare for Brexit and the issues of export and import of goods and services, yet not a single suggestion of what to prepare. Not one idea of what would happen if there was a no-deal, nothing, All they are doing is covering themselves by saying they have advised businesses. Its all b****(cks

There is a very real possibility many businesses in the UK will follow Rees-Mogg and his ilk in setting up companies in the EU and avoiding the issues, thereby removing income and taxes from the UK.

Welcome to post-Brexit reality of making the choice, stick with the rules and expenses of the UK, or continue the modern trade-free, rule-light methods of the EU in a massive market instead of an island backwater waving flags and singing dirges.

Boris is now guaranteeing the English Nationalist view he yearns and Scotland and NI will remain/rejoin the EU and the benefits it entails within this decade.

Britain waves the rules - for a brief period
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:40 pm Lloyd, it’s happening so why not just stop banging the same bloody drum?!

You ain’t going to change it so why not just think of ways you can save the UK from its peril?! Or would that entail giving up the life you love here to save the country you left because you didn’t want to be there?
If the Road Haulage Association dont know what to do and the Ports are presently struggling to cope, The Confederation of British Industry is at its wits end claiming they've received no guidance from the government on what to do how would you expect the ordinary man in the street to be able to make any sense of what's happening?

Jim
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Jim B wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:40 am
The Aquila wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:40 pm Lloyd, it’s happening so why not just stop banging the same bloody drum?!

If the Road Haulage Association dont know what to do and the Ports are presently struggling to cope, The Confederation of British Industry is at its wits end claiming they've received no guidance from the government on what to do how would you expect the ordinary man in the street to be able to make any sense of what's happening?

Jim
There are a lot of things in the world that don’t make sense but there is nothing you or I can do about it, we adapt the best we can put up with it. Repeating the same crap day in and day out on a Cyprus forum isn’t going to change anything.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:48 am
Jim B wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:40 am

Jim
There are a lot of things in the world that don’t make sense but there is nothing you or I can do about it, we adapt the best we can put up with it. Repeating the same crap day in and day out on a Cyprus forum isn’t going to change anything.
No, we dont just have to accept it. That's why the UK is in the mess it's in because a large number of people are prepared to sit back and accept the lies and corruption at the heart of this government.
Everytime you voice support for this government you are supporting sleaze, corruption and criminal acts.

Jim
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Ok Jim, please explain how you and Lloyd are going change this?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:33 am Ok Jim, please explain how you and Lloyd are going change this?
Aguilar
Theres more than just Lloyd and me who are critical of the present government, in fact there's quite a few million of us who believe the present government is a corrupt and ran by fools.
I can't of course speak for Lloyd but I try to do my bit and don't sit about tut tutting about the state of play.
If you want to do something you can always support the "Good Law Project:" which is a campaign group started by Barrister Jolyon Maugham. He and fellow Lawyers take the government to court to challenge its disreputable practices like giving lucrative contracts to Ministers friends and family or giving 40 million tax breaks to party financial backers.
The Good Law Project always needs financial support through crowd funding, especially when taking on a money no object government so we dont all just have to sit there and accept our lot.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jolyon Maugham is apparently a member of the Labour party, so no surprises there.

Oh, and he also boasted about killing a fox with a baseball bat, all round good guy, NOT.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:37 pm Jolyon Maugham is apparently a member of the Labour party, so no surprises there.

Oh, and he also boasted about killing a fox with a baseball bat, all round good guy, NOT.
He is a colossal knob.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It's nothing to do with which party you support it's about the open corruption that is going on and by supporting the present government in power you are condoning the corruption.
Did the police charge him for killing the fox and if not, why not.
He may be a "colossal knob", I dont know but at least he's highlighting the criminality of this government which is not representative of any past Conservative government I can recall.
Even Thatcher must be turning in her grave, at least she had some integrity which this government and its supporters are sadly lacking.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Of course has something to do with which party you support, that said, how anyone can support this man is beyond me. I do not believe for one moment that this person has any principals at all if he can beat an innocent animal to death, and then boast about it, to me that speaks volumes about him. Why the police didn't charge him I know not, you should ask the Chief Constable rather than me. I sincerely wish that he had been, and severely punished for his actions.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:23 pm Of course has something to do with which party you support, that said, how anyone can support this man is beyond me. I do not believe for one moment that this person has any principals at all if he can beat an innocent animal to death, and then boast about it, to me that speaks volumes about him. Why the police didn't charge him I know not, you should ask the Chief Constable rather than me. I sincerely wish that he had been, and severely punished for his actions.
So you will not condemn the corruption in the present government but condemn a person for killing a fox, strange morals. I would condemn both as I would condemn the Labour Party if what is going on was down to them. The difference is I believe is I put my country before party, not that I have loyalty to any particular political persuasion.
You appear to support a party whose members voted not to provide hot meals to children in need, I personally couldn't live with myself but it takes all kinds I suppose.

Jim

Jim
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I think that the trust of politicians has declined over the years and the younger generations are learning the hard way, people of my parents age still trust them.
It seems that its ok to lie and give false promises nowadays, and they don't even apologise when they get caught out, just give another bullshit lie to get them off the hook temporarily.
David
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Happy In Cyprus stop banging the same old drum. Its boring,
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Tory activists have been urged to campaign like Donald Trump by “weaponising fake news” and talking “nonsense” if it works, in a party newsletter.

The bulletin sent out to members in Northamptonshire says “there are lessons that we can learn from Trump”, adding: “A lie can go round the world before the truth can get its boots on.”

It also vows to “fight woke-ism”, attacking Labour’s landmark Equality Act, designed to stamp out prejudice in the workplace and public services – arguing it “legalises discrimination based on gender”.

The newsletter, issued in Peter Bone’s constituency of Wellingborough, sparked a protest from one local Conservative, who says he was then dropped from the candidates' list for the seat.
Jack Summers told The Times, which revealed it, that he had received threatening phone calls warning him that his political career was over if he did not fall into line.

“I'm not willing to go along with what's being instructed,” he said.

“This is an attack on democracy. The Conservative Party has changed. It's not what I joined – it seems more like an English nationalist party than the Conservative Party.”
The newsletter says campaigners should view fake news as a technique that “crowds out genuine news” and allows “honest politicians” to be “pushed off the front pages”.

“You say the first thing that comes into your head,” it reads, adding: “It’ll probably be nonsense, but it knocks your opponent out of his stride and takes away his headline.

“You may get a bad headline saying that you spoke something silly, but you can live that down. Meanwhile your opponent is knocked off the news-feed”

The bulletin concludes: “Sometimes, it is better to give the WRONG answer at the RIGHT time, than the RIGHT answer at the WRONG time.”
Activists are also told that the lesson of the defeated US president is that “he Weaponises Fake News”.

“If you make enough dubious claims, fast enough, honest speakers are overwhelmed. If someone tweets ten dubious claims per day and it takes you a week to disprove each one, then you are doomed,” it says.

“Trump uses this tactic to dominate the news and to crowd out legitimate politicians.”

And, urging them to “fight Woke-ism”, it reads: “Positive discrimination and other forms of officially tolerated racism infuriate many voters.

“An example of the “deep state” woke-ism is the 2010 Equalities Act [sic].

“It actually legalises discrimination in politics based on gender. (Labour put this into the Act because they wanted to discriminate and didn’t want to break their own Law!)”

The Conservative Party has been asked to comment on the newsletter, issued earlier this month.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...- ... 74341.html
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

What I will say is that if anyone supports a man like this cruel animal murderer, it says a lot about them.

Any corruption is to be condemned, but every party is corrupt in one way or another, so yes I can live with myself.
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

HIC - Italy leaving the EU was my "pipe dream" - I think you need to get some new glasses, I pointed out that Italy was extremely unhappy with the current Fiscal Policies imposed by the EU and many Italians were unhappy with the EU. Even a report posted on the 20th Oct 2020 states the unhappiness of Italy as the headline read "EU Braced For Bombshell Italexit As Plot To Leave In 2 Years Emerges" along with other countries watching Brexit to see if the UK can make a success of it.

David Cameron went to Brussels to try and renegotiate a number of treaties that were becoming issues for UK interests that were raised in Parliament, rightly or wrongly he promised the UK people a referendum if he could not negotiate any changes - the EU point blankly refused to budge or negotiate on the issues raised even though a referendum would have to be held should there be no movement. The EU's intransigence to give a bit was based on the blinding faith that the people of the UK would never vote to leave, to the astonishment of the EU technocrats the UK voted to leave - end of.

No Deal is better than a Bad Deal, a term bandied about for the last 2 years which I tend to agree with on a personal basis but as the Editor in Chief of Blid (Main German Newspaper) said last week Germany needs a deal to happen and Merkel is under pressure to make that happen given the UK is the single largest market for German Cars globally. He also pointed out that when Barnier (French) has been involved in negotiations said negotiations stagnated yet when he has been absent from negotiations the same negotiations have made ground, On Barnier's return the other week the talks had gone from a deal almost agreed to Barnier again torpedoing what was agreed in principle. Personally I suspect a deal will be agreed at the 11th hour despite Macron's demands that French Trawlers should have access to UK Sovereign Waters with or without a deal. Very reminiscent of the latest Cypriot stance against Turkey exploring for gas in what Cyprus considers its territorial waters, Boris quite rightly pointed out in Parliament that no UK PM would accept the latest demands of Barnier to which all sides were in agreement.

What the vast majority of people on this forum tend to do is try to give a balanced opinion on this and many other subjects but HIC and a small group of his loyal followers only ever bang the same drum on Brexit. Brexit is going to happen one way or the other preferably with a deal but if not then so be it the UK public voted and the UK public will have to move on down a road that will be good, bad or indifferent.

I lost my dream FO job with what I consider to be the best airline in the world due to Covid, I am now working as a parcel delivery driver to pass my time until my sector starts to recover as I prefer not to sit on my backside and moan about it, but no matter what Brexit or Covid throws at myself and many thousands of other people in the same position will show is that joe public's abilities, grit and sheer dogged determination will get them through both Covid and Brexit - the UK population is known for it and we are not all as thick as HIC and his cronies seem to think those who voted for Brexit are.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

merchant_banker wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:27 am Happy In Cyprus stop banging the same old drum. Its boring,
It may be boring to you but not to others.
The way to stop getting bored is to not read his posts or better still block him, me or anyone else for that matter that bores you and then you can get engrossed in the items that really do interest you.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Those who write long posts should realise that the longer they are the less they get read. The authors of two of the last five posts should take note. IMHO, two five or six line paragraphs are about the length of the attention span of the average reader. Obviously, the readability of the subject matter also plays a strong role. When quoting an article a link to it is far more effective than printing it out in full.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Devil - "Didn't read" would have saved you typing