Amazon UK..

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
The Aquila

Re: Amazon UK..

Post by The Aquila »

Road Warrior wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:41 am
Maggie B wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:11 pm I now trully believe Nicola Sturgeon should lead Scotland out of this total cluster bucket. Scotland did NOT vote for Brexit.

Maggie B

PS Apologies for taking this one totally off course. 😣

Yes, the sooner the better.
She wanted to be an independent country before the Brexit vote.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Let them go and bring all the UK government contracts back into England.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:40 am
Lincoln wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:08 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:24 am BREXIT - the gift that keeps on giving. We're into Project Reality now.

Sadly, many items I choose to buy from Amazon.co.uk are not Available on Amazon.de. Plus, some parts of the site do not convert to English, even when using Chrome.

Still, they voted for it didn't they? So the will of the people - who largely hadn't got a clue what they were voting for - must be observed.
You are only happy when having a good old MOAN, :mrgreen:
I think HIC and many others who live here have a right to moan, as this Brexit cockup affects them
If only he and others had exercised their right to vote with the same enthusiam as they exercise their right to moan...

etc etc etc
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Please don't post anything that is too ironic. Some people might not think you are joking.
sued51

Post by sued51 »

Isn't the whole point of us expats complaining about Brexit that we weren't allowed to vote? - after having left the UK more than 15 years ago you are not allowed a postal vote, which I completely agree with in most referendums/elections, however, the Brexit vote directly affects us just as much, if not more than UK citizens, had expats been allowed to vote in this particular case, I'm sure the outcome would have been very different - which is probably why we weren't allowed to!
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

The Aquila wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:33 pm Sturgeon doesn’t want to be part of the UK because she wants to make her own decisions for Scotland but wants to be part of the EU? :shock: :lol:
You missed the point The Aquila. Scotland (not just Nicola Sturgeon = 1 vote), did NOT vote for Brexit.

And, of course she wanted to leave being ruled by the English government long before the referendum. She is the leader of the Scottish National Party afterall. Seemples. :D
Last edited by Maggie B on Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Road Warrior wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:59 pm Maggie, its the Scottish National Party, not nationalist.
Absolutely and utterly . . . . . . BAD ME! In fact, I'll go and fix that right now!! It's a bit like calling someone Scotch . . . .rather than Scottish. 😂😂😂

MB
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Road Warrior wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:04 pm
sued51 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:52 pm Isn't the whole point of us expats complaining about Brexit that we weren't allowed to vote? - after having left the UK more than 15 years ago you are not allowed a postal vote, which I completely agree with in most referendums/elections, however, the Brexit vote directly affects us just as much, if not more than UK citizens, had expats been allowed to vote in this particular case, I'm sure the outcome would have been very different - which is probably why we weren't allowed to!
People who live in the country have a right to vote, you choose to leave the country and live somewhere else, you lose the right to vote. Why should you vote on the future of a country you no longer live in ?
You only lose the right to vote if you have left for 15 years. And can you vote in Cyprus elections?
sued51

Post by sued51 »

I quite agree with losing the right to vote for the future of a country you no longer live in (as I stated earlier), however, the Brexit vote (quite apart from the implications not being properly explained to the electorate) was not only for the future of the UK, it was a complete one off which also affected the lives of British citizens residing in the EU. To a certain extent this does not affect me personally as I am retired and have been here for almost 25 years, so well before Cyprus was in the EU, but even as a staunch conservative I think we have been s**t on as people who have previously lived in and paid taxes to the UK and are now left stranded if everything is to be believed. Fewer flights to the UK, no healthcare under 65 (and even then for how long?) are work permits going to almost non existent again? not to mention duty on anything brought here from the UK - the original thread being almost irrelevant to the real impact of Brexit. Cyprus is now my home and I have no wish to return permanently to the UK, but I do feel that expats in all European countries have been abandoned by the British Government on this.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:39 am
Dominic wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:26 pmIf only he and others had exercised their right to vote with the same enthusiam as they exercise their right to moan...etc etc etc

You've made the point a million times.
You are the king of making Brexit points a million times. :lol:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The Tory Party has become the English Nationalist Party, with more nationalistic tendencies than the SNP.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

DAFA6DE2-2CB3-421A-AB4A-CE87B39A735D.jpeg
DAFA6DE2-2CB3-421A-AB4A-CE87B39A735D.jpeg (87.13 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The Union Flag in the cartoon is upside down, a symbol of distress! :-
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Devil wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:47 pm The Union Flag in the cartoon is upside down, a symbol of distress! :-
The EU has a circle in the flag, probably designed to show that the same shit comes round again, again and again. :D
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Time and again HIC manages to change a post that started about Amazon to cover his favourite topic of how stupid the people who voted for Brexit are and the usual I told you so blah blah blah and how great the EU is. An interesting piece of journalism was written by Mark Almond (Author, Lecturer of Modern History at Oxford) who's topic was the "EU is the Sick Man of Europe". I don't intend to paste and copy the whole piece but just the some of the parts that HIC will no doubt try and debunk.

The EU is not sailing on Unitedly & Purposefully in fact nothing could be farther from the truth, the Eu face monumental problems on every front from economic sclerosis, population decline and growing divisions of the remaining 27 nations with its outdated model of governance that is ill suited to the challenges of the 21st Century. Papering over the cracks between the richer states and the poorer states is becoming even harder.

Malta Poland & Hungary threatened with financial consequences such as withholding Covid Recovery Aid unless they fall into line with EU Diktats on political, judicial & free speech - not the actions of a secure flourishing organisation but the behaviour of a desperate institution racked with weakness. - hardly the fantastic and benevolent EU that HIC admires so much

The EU is now lecturing the UK about observing its rules but it rode roughshod over those same rules to facilitate the inclusions of a troubled and indebted Greece into the Eurozone with disastrous financial consequences.

The single currency has been an abject failure for many countries, it has fuelled unemployment & debt by robbing member states of their ability fix their interest rates and fiscal policies according to their own needs. Europe accounts for 7% of the global population but 50% of all welfare spending little wonder all the fastest growing countries are outside of Europe.

As the Euro Budget shrinks sharply with Brexit and the loss of the Billions from the UK Treasury the Brussels elite will have less carrots to dangle and must rely on more sticks to keep the dissidents and smaller member countries in line.

It was an extremely interesting piece of writing with many more insights into the failings of the Brussels Elite .
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Living the Dream
I dont think anyone has ever said the EU is perfect and yes there are problems with Hungary and Polands Populist Governments trying to cherry pick what membership rules they should follow and what rules they decide to ignore, now who does that remind you of?
Malta on the other hand is in turmoil due to the government arranged assassination of Daphne Caruana Galiaza, an investigative journalist who revealed corruption at the highest level of government, similar to the actions of the present UK government with the issue of lucrative contracts to family and friends.
The UK government makes grand announcements on signed Trade Deals that are worse than the ones they had through the EU, like the one they signed with Japan for instance.
The EU may not be perfect but life was much better than prior to 1973 and what appears to be coming on January 1st. Maybe it's an English trait to "cut our noses off to spite our face"

Jim
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Jim B - I tend to agree with the context of your post, UK is not perfect however HIC always paints a picture of how perfect the EU is and will always dig up some snippet of information to support his own rose tinted view of the EU. I just found the article by Mark Almond an interesting read showing another side of the EU with regards to Finances, Youth Unemployment, Deepening Divides, Welfare Benefits and the fact that countries outside the EU happen to be the fastest growing.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I would guess if you run a business where you import items from the UK to Europe then the present set up is perfect and the changes to import regulations and documentation will cause untold problems. Theres been no guidance from the UK government on what has to be done according to the many associations that import and export so I can understand the frustrations of the likes of HIC when after struggling through the 2008 and 2012 bank collapses to keep their businesses afloat they then have another spanner thrown into the works for no tangible.benefits

Jim