Brexit Economic Assessment - in. Politics

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Brexit Economic Assessment - in. Politics

Post by Jimgward »

I think people should watch this....

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13451
Jimgward

Re: Brexit Economic Assessment - in. Politics

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic might then look this thread?
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

At the end of the day it's just another Knob giving HIS opinion - The UK Government is full of Knobs just like him - No one knows for certain how this is going to pan out - We are almost out of Europe now like it or lump it and everyone like him is trying to talk the situation down - If people thought positively and talked the situation up then we might stand a chance - But no always doom and gloom - Reminds me of all the Steel workers in Consett Years ago When the Steel Works closed and they had Steel Workers on the News every night saying -- What are we going to do now ? That's the end of jobs around here ! - But look at the situation now - That closure produced more entrepreneur's in one area than anywhere else in the country and now the area is thriving - If the Knobs and Gloom merchants give it a chance we will be Great Britain again
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

71 Trans Am wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:59 pm If the Knobs and Gloom merchants give it a chance we will be Great Britain again
I do not think that I can agree with you on that. Great Britain became great by exploiting large countries like India, Canada, Australia and so on. Small countries were more or less ignored unless they provided a benefit to Mother England and we have an excellent example where we live. Even after it became a crown colony, until after the war, Cyprus was just a pesky little outpost in the great Empire. Notwithstanding, Britain reluctantly tried to exploit these outposts but not to the benefit of their inhabitants who were oppressed nearly as much as under the Ottoman rule.

Today, we have the British Commonwealth. What does that do for us, here in Cyprus, either economically or politically? Yes, the English housewife may buy Cypriot potatoes, oranges and so on. Developing a taste for halloumi is not going to make a big dent in the trade relations between the two countries. Equally, buying a jar of Marmite will not help much to balance the books.

Perhaps the Knobs and Gloom merchants have some cause to be worried?
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Devil
I am not referring to the Great Britain of the past - As you say it was Great mostly down to exploitation of others - We have some great minds in this country and a lot of forward thinking people - if people want to wallow in doom and gloom that is where the will stay but we have the ability to move forward and create sometimes out of very little and that is the way forward - You can achieve anything if you try - All through this brexit campaign it has mostly been the ordinary working man ( Or Woman) who has pressed for this - The knobs in their highly paid jobs have painted the doom and gloom picture as they have the most to lose and that is the reason they have cause for worry - If people believe that they cannot survive without the european union then it is a sad day - The British always have endured and survived and always will - I still believe that when Britain is completely out there will be a mass Exodus of other member countries and that will be the end of the Knob Club
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

71 Trans Am wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:58 pm Devil
I am not referring to the Great Britain of the past
Okay, let us look at the Great Britain of the future. It has become an isolationist country. Isolated from the great majority of its trading partners: isolated from its own Commonwealth, which has become almost meaningless. Its major powerhouse, England, is doing everything in its power to isolate itself from its three subsidiaries, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I think you have got it slightly wrong - The Welsh have always hated the English and isolated themselves from England a long time ago - The Scottish under the guidance of Nicola Sturgeon are Hell bent on getting away from England and I think it has been said many times that Northern Ireland do not want interference from England even though we had troops there for many years to protect them - So I think its the other way around and we in England have been sent to Coventry - And New Trading Partners might make the old ones sit up and think because they have had it too good too long
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Threads are in Politics for a reason.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I'm still trying to get my head around the thought there may be a Great Britain in the future.... it's not been Great in my lifetime.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It was Great in mine.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

PhotoLady wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:17 pm I'm still trying to get my head around the thought there may be a Great Britain in the future.... it's not been Great in my lifetime.
I am not sure whether it has in my lifetime. There were signs, especially in India, of the Empire starting to break up; however, the real breakup was the result of the 39-45 war and I think I could consider it as "no longer Great" by about 1948, when there was an important feeling of the transfer from Empire to Commonwealth.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

@Photolady.
I have not troubled to post on this forum since it became an occasional dumping ground for sad losers and other assorted bed-wetters- and unspeakably boring to boot.

However, I will make an exception.

You are probably aware that four members of the same family of Kurdish Iranians, trying to get across the channel on Tuesday tragically drowned, and a toddler is still missing.
What a pity it was not possible for you to inform them before they embarked having crossed several other safe EU states, that they’d made a big mistake- Britain wasn’t Great after all. They needn’t have pointlessly lost their lives.
And at the same time, inform the thousands queuing at Calais and the many others who will inevitably drown that Britain isn’t worth the smuggler’s fees.

Oh, and BTW, you were obviously asleep when I posted on the last occasion that someone demonstrated their ignorance of the origin of the term “Great” in “Great Britain”. From Wikipedia:
“The name Britain descends from the Latin name for the island of Great Britain, Britannia or Brittānia, the land of the Britons via the Old French Bretaigne (whence also Modern French Bretagne) and Middle English Bretayne, Breteyne. The term Great Britain was first used officially in 1474.[3]
The use of the word "Great" before "Britain" originates in the French language, which uses Bretagne for both Britain and Brittany. French therefore distinguishes between the two by calling Britain la Grande Bretagne, a distinction which was transferred into English.[4] “…..

The irony being that it was the French who coined the term “Great Britain”-for purely geographical reasons….
Anyway, keep on digging!
Jon.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

And we all know how much the French like us Brits.
See what they did there with their name for us...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Unless you were middle-class or above, Britain was never “Great” in the terms people expected. The working classes were treated appallingly and true poverty didn’t disappear until the 60’s. If you were in the lower 1/3rd of England, you also had prospects denied to the rest of the UK.
Until general levels of earnings allowed people to afford higher education and move into decent jobs, then opportunities were denied to almost everyone not from a landed family.
It’s been different for 30 years now and I fear we are heading downwards, partly due to Covid, but now Brexit issues at a time we can’t afford it.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Wondered where this thread had gone -

And why are you harking back to the past – I am not connecting “ Great Britain” of the past to a Great Britain of the future – It is merely a statement – We can be a great country if we stand up for ourselves and get on with it – Instead of thinking or believing we need all those Toss Pots in Europe to survive – Barnier sharp got himself over to the UK when Boris said that was the end of the Discussions on a trade deal ( He was over in three days once he’d changed his pants) – So who really needs who.

HiC pointless really discussing anything with you especially politics as you remind me of Jim X
You will be right no matter what anyone else says or thinks about the UK or anything else for that matter and if they don’t agree with what you think you will Bar them – Oh you can’t do that can you – makes Jim the better man I suppose - Oh he can’t do that now either can he – What a wonderful world.
Being that you mentioned the German car manufactures though - They are one example of having it too good too long – Almost every third car you pass in the UK is a BMW Mercedes or Audi And I am not knocking them – They are most of the time good quality cars – I myself have an AMG 350 – But they are taking the P**S and getting away with it – My car had an exhaust back pressure sensor fail which blew the turbo seals and flooded the under trays with oil – The job should have been under warranty which I assumed it was when I took it in otherwise I would have taken it elsewhere – They said it was three weeks late on an interim service and if it had been in on time the computer diagnostics would have picked up that it was failing (Bollocks) and company policy was that 14 days is the max it could be overdue to keep the warranty intact for replacement parts purposes so I was charged £3200 for the privilege of their repair – And don’t get me wrong I have always had Mercs – But they cost a fortune and the price goes up and the services are a fortune and the price goes up and up and up and they keep getting away with it – So a no trade deal with the Germans on cars until they drop their prices as they have had it too good too long would make my day – And lets deal with the Japs and Lexus or something similar Good top of the range quality cars at a sensible price with the right deal - And lets bomb out all of the P**S takers Maybe not the same as a BMW or Merc or Audi - But those cars are not worth the money they demand and now they are squealing about Fishing rights – Chase the lot of them I say and get on with life - They will need us probably more than we will need them before this is finished – But you won’t agree HiC because your opinion is right no matter what.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

71 Trans Am

I agree with 99% of what you say.

Now just waiting for the fun to start, come on boys, don't disappoint.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Trans Am, youre rant amuses me, with youre knocking of German cars, despite owning loads of them!

Tell me one positive benefit for the average Brit, of Brexit....
boycott

Post by boycott »

Trans Am, perhaps if you had complied with your contract you would not have had to pay yourself!
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Jingward
I did not knock German cars anywhere in my rant as you call it - My first love is American Muscle cars as that is my daily business along with Jukeboxes Pinball machines and many other things but I run two Mercedes as daily cars and have had various models over a 40 year period and they are generally great - not good on fuel but a lot better on fuel than some of my American cars - I was knocking the European unlimited ability to flood the UK with their vehicles and then hike the price of everything to do with them - it seems there is no restriction on what they can get away with - If you go to a true Mercedes outlet and pay over £40k for a car on more than one occasion I personally expect a little bit of flexibility when things go wrong but company policy is king and no swerving around it as it is written in stone which leads me to your second comment - One positive benefit that I can see is that if we had a proper government with a real backbone we get to make our own decisions again whether right or wrong they are our decisions with no interference from foreign lands instead of being told how it is going to be - I fully understand that others will come up with a big list of downsides to leaving the EU And that is generally because they have an easy life the way things are now and are happy to be told how it is regardless of the pain because they don't want to upset the apple cart - Well I say stuff the apple cart up Merkels a**e Kick Barnier in the nuts and lets get a backbone and get on with life - We don't need Toss Pots to get ahead we just need the ambition and desire to move forward and sod everyone else. If you believe you can succeed on your own you will - Its like being self employed - You get up every day and you know you have to do it because you are the only one making the decisions - If you are working for someone you will do as your told under protest but you will still do as you are told but never get any further forward in life - simple as that really.

boycott - You May be right and maybe I am expecting too much by being a week late for a service, But you sound just like one of the Eu parasites that I am talking about with your do as I say attitude and no flexibility
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

on more than one occasion I personally expect a little bit of flexibility when things go wrong but company policy is king
Which is as it should be in a normal organised society – a contract is a contract and not something you can puff at if something goes wrong.