UK still confident of a Brexit trade deal with the EU.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

UK still confident of a Brexit trade deal with the EU.

Post by Dominic »

The UK still believes it can agree a post-Brexit trade deal with the EU next month, according to Downing Street.

The PM's spokesman said UK negotiators would "continue to plug the gaps" when talks enter their seventh round in Brussels on Wednesday.

The two sides remain divided over competition rules, fishing rights and how a deal would be enforced.

The UK has ruled out extending the December deadline to reach an agreement.

This week's talks are the last scheduled negotiating round ahead of the autumn, although both sides have previously said talks would continue in September.

EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier had dinner with UK counterpart David Frost on Tuesday evening, with talks set to conclude on Friday.

UK-EU trade deal some way off, both sides say
What are the sticking points in the trade talks?
What's happening in post-Brexit trade talks?
On Tuesday, ahead of talks resuming, a European Commission spokesman said a deal would need to be agreed by October "at the latest".

Mr Barnier has said an agreement is required by this date so it can be ratified before the UK's current post-Brexit transition period ends, in December.

After the last negotiation round in London, he accused the UK of not showing a "willingness to break the deadlock" over difficult issues.

Mr Frost said EU offers to break the deadlock had failed to honour the "fundamental principles which we have repeatedly made clear".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-53812015

Here's hoping...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Re: UK still confident of a Brexit trade deal with the EU.

Post by WHL »

Times running out
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I don’t think they want a deal (Boris and Cummings)
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

So to Brexit supporters, if we leave without a deal and the country inevitably goes into a very deep depression, was Brexit still a price worth paying?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Barnier insists on EU boats fishing our waters after Brexit, why should they ? We are leaving the EU and I hope, all it stands for. He's deliberately making sure we have no deal if he can't have his way, so be it.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

So, you believe the UK press only? You didn’t answer my question. Brexit at any cost? Blue passports and poverty?
WHL

Post by WHL »

I think Del boy, and his mate Trigger, would of conducted these negotiations better,
all this talk about allowing EU countries fish in UK waters, should be used as a bargaining chip, to get more concessions from the EU,
unfortunately Bozo Boris and his Key stone cop advisers couldn't organise a P up in a brewery
as already shown on their handling or rather non handling of the Virus fiasco and now the A level cock up.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

JGW

I do not have to answer your question.

You address my point.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

LB

Were you really, well why didn't you ?

JGW hasn't addressed my post. I notice non of you mention Barnier and fishing, strange that.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Re the difficult question of fishing in UK waters, this was news to me, that a handful of rich family's have a big chunk of the quotas
https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2018/1 ... ng%20quota.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

As I have said before, I am neither for nor against Brexit because it hardly concerns me. However, I do believe that this last post is OTT, because it is just the same old, same old, same old stuff from one person. What is worse is that all his horror stories are based on pure speculation, because nothing has been decided yet. I guess he is driving more and more people towards Brexit.
WHL

Post by WHL »

No more to add

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It’s again, been said before, but a huge part of Brexit for far too many people, has been based on bigotry, racism and perceived ‘hard done by’ based on negative MSM perception of Europe. I totally believe that come January, Boris and his acolytes will blame everything, including COVID issues, on the EU. Lack of goods, EU fault. Shortages, EU rules. Price rises, EU problem. Job losses, EU issue.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

https://www.ft.com/content/9906e0d4-0c2 ... pe=nongift

Not a good move by UK and jeopardising peace in Ireland and potential trade at all with the EU
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

As far as I understand someone can correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know enough about American politics. Any trade deal made by the USA and the UK has to be ratified by Congress and the Senate and Nancy Pelosi has already stated if the GFA is broken, the Senate and Congress won't ratify the trade deal.

Another point is that this is the UK deliberately breaking an International treaty, the actions of a rogue state, no one will be confident of making any agreement with the UK if they can't be trusted
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Confident? With you-know-who at the helm? He would sign away the whole country if it suited his personal purpose.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

well, Boris has now managed to get what he always wanted, a no-deal Brexit. He and his cronies do not care what the consequences are for us peasants, as they will make millions out of adversity, as usual.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Well, they are now talking about food rises of around 15% and non-food items rising in costs by 30% (today’s Independent)

What was the benefit of Brexit again? Oh, the Blue Passports made in Holland..... And.... And...