German investors redistribute resources following Brexit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
OhSusana

German investors redistribute resources following Brexit

Post by OhSusana »

German investors redistribute resources following Brexit [my translation]
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/b ... 45246.html
Der Brexit vertreibt deutsche Investoren
Die britische Premierministerin Theresa May will am Mittwoch den Austritt ihres Landes aus der EU erklären. Eine neue Auswertung zeigt jetzt: Fast jedes zehnte deutsche Unternehmen will Aktivitäten aus Großbritannien zurückverlagern.

Exclusive to the FAZ. (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.) Obviously in German. Saying that almost 10% of German firms plan to withdraw their investments from the U.K., and relocate to Germany or elsewhere - even though the terms of Britain’s departure from the EU aren't known ...
... Umfrage vom Februar unter 2200 deutschen Unternehmen; die 1300 Antwortenin survey conducted in February among 1,300 German businesses ..

Another bit - 40% of them expect business to decline over the next few months...

===

One wonders how many years precisely this uncertainty will last. May hopes for 2. But I'm sure 27 countries aren't going to agree on much during that time scale. And it's probably in the EU's interest for negotiations to drag on and on and on and...
Varky

Re: German investors redistribute resources following Brexit

Post by Varky »

OhSusana wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:58 pm And it's probably in the EU's interest for negotiations to drag on and on and on and...
On what basis did you draw this conclusion?
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

So over 90% of German firms have no plans to withdraw their investments from the UK.

Also 60% expect business to either stay the same or increase over the next few months.

Statistics eh?
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Varky wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:30 pm
OhSusana wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:58 pm And it's probably in the EU's interest for negotiations to drag on and on and on and...
From things I read.
Like today -
Theresa May has been forced to defend her claim that it will be possible to seal both a divorce deal and a new trade relationship with the EU in two years, despite Germany’s Foreign Minister casting doubt on it.
Theresa May forced to defend claim she can seal Brexit deal in two years
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 65601.html

And more from Gabriel here - Gabriel: Ohne Brexit-Vertrag leiden vor allem die Briten
in the faz also. Pretty obvious. 27 v 1. Not exactly cricket...

Why on earth would you think otherwise?!
Varky

Post by Varky »

OhSusana wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:09 pm
Varky wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:30 pm
From things I read.
Like today -
Theresa May has been forced to defend her claim that it will be possible to seal both a divorce deal and a new trade relationship with the EU in two years, despite Germany’s Foreign Minister casting doubt on it.
Theresa May forced to defend claim she can seal Brexit deal in two years
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 65601.html

And more from Gabriel here - Gabriel: Ohne Brexit-Vertrag leiden vor allem die Briten
in the faz also. Pretty obvious. 27 v 1. Not exactly cricket...

Why on earth would you think otherwise?!
Not sure that the quote in English actually states that it would be in EU's interests to drag negotiations on. Just that it might take longer than 2 years. As I don't speak German maybe the second quote does say what you stated. Just because it is 27 v 1 does not mean that it is their interests to drag it out. I am not saying an agreement won't be difficult.
Maybe TM and the UK will stop paying contributions after 2 years, in which case I would have thought it would be in EU interest to have an agreement beforehand. Who knows, everything is speculation, including what I have just said.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

LONDON (Reuters) - The head of U.S. bank JPMorgan Chase said on Tuesday the bank is not planning to move many jobs out of Britain in the next two years in a softening of tone on the likely impact from Brexit.
Jamie Dimon had said in a previous speech to employees in Bournemouth last year that as many as 4,000 of the bank's 16,000 jobs based in Britain may have to move.
Even though his stance appears to have moderated Dimon said on Tuesday the bank is preparing for a so-called "hard Brexit" in which Britain loses access to EU's single market, disrupting access to its main trading partner.
"This does not entail moving many people in the next two years," he said in a letter to the US bank's shareholders.
Dimon also said the likelihood that the EU could break up has increased, which he warned could have a "devastating" economic and political impact.
He said that he hoped that Britain's decision to leave the EU would have force the bloc to focus on "fixing its issues," such as immigration, bureaucracy and rigid labour rules.
"Our fear, however, is that it could instead result in political unrest that would force the EU to split apart," he said. "We will keep a close eye on the situation in Europe over the next several years."
(Reporting By Andrew MacAskill, Editing by Lawrence White)
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Do you not think this is all getting a bit ridiculous and childish? For every article that is posted pro Brexit there will always be another against.As has been said many times all these articles are purely speculative and often just one persons view and as has also been said many times negotiations have not started! For all you may all think you know none of you have the facts,you cannot change anything that is going to happen by searching the internet well into the night for quotes so why not get a good nights sleep and let the Government get on with the job they were elected to do?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Poppy wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:36 am Do you not think this is all getting a bit ridiculous and childish? For every article that is posted pro Brexit there will always be another against.As has been said many times all these articles are purely speculative and often just one persons view and as has also been said many times negotiations have not started! For all you may all think you know none of you have the facts,you cannot change anything that is going to happen by searching the internet well into the night for quotes so why not get a good nights sleep and let the Government get on with the job they were elected to do?
Well said Poppy! :mrgreen:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Don't you feel embarrassed watching government ministers going round, cap in hand trying to drum up business with some of the most despotic and corrupt countries in the world to try and salvage a failed idea? Even India gave the UK a thanks but NO thanks. Fox was even in the Philippines, yes the Philippines grovelling to a President whose claim to fame is murdering over seven thousand of his own citizens; the shame of it.

Jim
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Poppy- you are right. Of my 74 posts this is the only copy and paste I have done. In this instance, I felt is was arguably worth posting since it was a summary of a letter from the head of one of the largest banks in America to his shareholders. Maybe he got the job because he knows a bit about the world of finance. In contrast to the posturing and opportunistic grandstanding of some rabid anti-UK/Brexit MEP. Why are they all so hysterical about the UK leaving? Simple- because they will all lose a lot of easy money.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Poppy wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:36 am Do you not think this is all getting a bit ridiculous and childish? For every article that is posted pro Brexit there will always be another against.As has been said many times all these articles are purely speculative and often just one persons view and as has also been said many times negotiations have not started! For all you may all think you know none of you have the facts,you cannot change anything that is going to happen by searching the internet well into the night for quotes so why not get a good nights sleep and let the Government get on with the job they were elected to do?
Excellent!

I was was away from my PC for a few days and after returning and browsing the posts here I was going to write something similar.

But then on another forum I read a comment that so perfectly and eloquently reflected my views my efforts were redundant...
I've tried responding to some of these posts with what I think are rational perspectives. Many answers are ignored, which I take as a resentful acknowledgement of their relevance.

Some "We are all doomed I tell you!" efforts have been answered by myself and others with what I regard as measured, sensible explanations, only for them to be silently swept aside and the very same points indignantly raised a few days later in another thread. Groundhog day.

A person could spend all their time trawling for whatever fits their particular agenda and posting it as "end of the world" material of course. Quotes from non-entities as "proof" of purely speculative nonsense such as how WW3 is about to be visited on Europe. Usually total fantasy, stoked up by the media in order to fill 24/7 broadcast slots or sell news sheets for a few days.

Like it or not it seems the UK is set to leave the EU.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Who wrote that; Nigel Farage?

Jim
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:00 pm Who wrote that; Nigel Farage?

Jim
I'd have thought a self-proclaimed expert in in Google's finances would have been able to use Google and discover for themselves... :roll:

Here, try this...

EDITED To add: Apologies, it was JimGward who proclaimed himself an expert on Google's finances... :oops:
Last edited by cyprusgrump on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Excellent response on articles CG, absolutely spot on a nd sums things up beautifully.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:30 pm Excellent response on articles CG, absolutely spot on a nd sums things up beautifully.
I disagree.
Jim
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:13 pm
Jimgym wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:30 pm Excellent response on articles CG, absolutely spot on a nd sums things up beautifully.
I disagree.
Jim
Shall we take your disagreement 'as read' for all future posts and save you the bother of logging-in...? :lol:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:13 pm
I disagree.
Jim
I disagree with your disagreement :mrgreen:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

That's up to you but I am not one of Grumpy's claques like many others on here.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:31 pm That's up to you but I am not one of Grumpy's claques like many others on here.

Jim
I'm not in anyone's clique, and could care less who has one or who is in one. However I do agree with many of CG's posts. I particularly liked the one I have taken the liberty of copying below.

"Some things really are worth repeating.I've tried responding to some of these posts with what I think are rational perspectives. Many answers are ignored, which I take as a resentful acknowledgement of their relevance.

Some "We are all doomed I tell you!" efforts have been answered by myself and others with what I regard as measured, sensible explanations, only for them to be silently swept aside and the very same points indignantly raised a few days later in another thread. Groundhog day.

A person could spend all their time trawling for whatever fits their particular agenda and posting it as "end of the world" material of course. Quotes from non-entities as "proof" of purely speculative nonsense such as how WW3 is about to be visited on Europe. Usually total fantasy, stoked up by the media in order to fill 24/7 broadcast slots or sell news sheets for a few days.

Like it or not it seems the UK is set to leave the EU."
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:31 pm That's up to you but I am not one of Grumpy's claques like many others on here.

Jim
I've got claques???? :shock:

I shall see the quackter first thing tomorrow morning! :?