Prepare now to pay the price of Brexit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: Prepare now to pay the price of Brexit

Post by Jimgward »

What an absolute sham - let's investigate Russia, but not ask anything in areas we don't want to know about... or might embarrass us...
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:34 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:21 pm
Uncle D wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:42 pm
And here it is
MPs say UK failed to investigate Russian interference in elections
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-53 ... IB-J9d5fAU
Did the long awaited report find any evidence of Russian interference in the Brexit vote?
"The Government actively avoided investigating any threat"
The opinion of an MSP. But in answer to the question I asked, “ The long-awaited report into Russian meddling said that it had not seen any evidence to suggest Russia had successfully meddled in the 2016 vote.“
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:28 pm You didn't listen to that, did you... ? See no evil, hear no evil...
You’ve been moaning about the report being delayed and now that it’s here you don’t like it because it didn’t say what you want it to. I asked if the report showed any evidence of Russian interference in the Brexit vote, a simple yes or no will suffice.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Utterly shocking to read that Russia tried to influence a leave vote in the Scottish referendum. perhaps the margin to stay would have been even larger without interference. I wonder if this will put paid to another vote?

'Credible' evidence that Russia influenced Scottish indy ref
There is “credible open source commentary” suggesting that Russia engaged in influence campaigns in the 2014 Scottish independence referendum, the Intelligence and Security Committee report says.

This has been described by some as the “first post-Soviet Russian interference in a Western democratic process".

Blair McDougall, the director of the victorious Better Together campaign in the 2014 independence referendum, has tweeted: "Hardly a surprise. It’s been happening in plain sight.

"Putin’s propaganda arm: funds Salmond & Ahmed-Sheikh; has Tommy Sheridan as a columnist; a former SNP staffer as bureau chief; a pro independence exec producer; and two independence campaigners as their broadcast anchors. "
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:28 pm You didn't listen to that, did you... ? See no evil, hear no evil...
Sorry error too many Jims
Last edited by Uncle D on Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I believe the MP in question is the spokesman for the Intelligence and Security Committee rather than a Scotish MP giving his opinion.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:37 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:38 pm
Les Bean wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:34 pm

"The Government actively avoided investigating any threat"
The opinion of an MSP. But in answer to the question I asked, “ The long-awaited report into Russian meddling said that it had not seen any evidence to suggest Russia had successfully meddled in the 2016 vote.“
You're quoting out of context. What you have quoted is the government's wording in its refusal for the committee's call for a full assessment of Russian meddling in the refeendum
I’m well aware of what I quoted, but thanks for reminding me. Now, again I shall ask, was there any evidence of Russian interference in the Brexit referendum?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:12 pm There can't be evidence if you haven't looked for it.
The committee's report says there was credible evidence of Russian influence in the Scottish referendum, and had the relevant parts of the intelligence community conducted a similar assessment prior to the EU referendum it is inconceivable that they would not have reached the same conclusion as to Russian intent which would have led them to take action to protect the process
Quite right. Who is naive enough to believe that evidence of political interference existed to be involved in the Scottish Independence Referendum, yet they didnt believe that they would interfere in a Brexit vote? Russia hates the EU and seeing Britain leave was always their aim.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

In what way did they allegedly interfere ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Firefly wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:48 pm In what way did they allegedly interfere ?
I don’t know about referendums but after returning home from shopping I noticed there was chocolate amongst my items. I’m wondering if that’s also Russian interference?😇😱
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Or.. just maybe, a youngster got a bar of chocolate, and put it in the wrong trolley ;-)
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Trev

Would that be a Russian youngster ? :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Hasty decision making!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

bromerzz

What decisions would they be, I wouldn't call the time it took to establish the vote, hasty, plenty of time to make a decision. Unless it's something else.

Jackie
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The thing being, the Tory Party have been getting bankrolled by Russian citizens for years and nobody pays in money without wanting something out.
Also having worked in around around Russia and its satellites for nearly thirty years, moving money in and out without the respective governments being aware of it is next to impossible and requires permission at the highest levels.
The report points out that certain politicians from all parties are accepting money and the Tory Party is taking massive amounts of "Donations" from Russian Oligarchs without checking where the money has come from.
I was taught that selling your country out to another country for financial gain is Treason, maybe a simplistic view but at least arn honest one.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

£1m to play tennis with Boris is a small price to pay ...
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I fail to see how Russia could influence the British electorate into voting one way or the other.

As far as the referendum is concerned, we literally had years to decide. Do they really believe that the British people are so easily influenced ?

L.B

I read the link you posted, but it's very vague to say the least, nothing concrete, life is full of conspiracy theories, it sells papers.

Jackie
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:25 pm I fail to see how Russia could influence the British electorate into voting one way or the other.

As far as the referendum is concerned, we literally had years to decide. Do they really believe that the British people are so easily influenced ?

L.B

I read the link you posted, but it's very vague to say the least, nothing concrete, life is full of conspiracy theories, it sells papers.

Jackie
Well why would Russia be prepared to pump so much money into the UK and the Tory Party in particular, do you honestly believe it's a philanthropic action by Putin?

You should watch the "Great Hack" and possibly you will understand what happened.

No one had to change the minds of the population of the UK, just a tiny percentage of it and that's were Cambridge Analytica came in by providing names of people to "Vote Leave" who were ready to believe all the ills of this world was down to the EU.
As I said, watch the "Great Hack" which can be seen on Youtube; I know you won't because it provides proof of what actually went on prior and during the referendum and this contradicts what you want to believe.
The Tory Party is hand in glove with the Russians, they take money without checking were it comes from. They hide behind flimsy excuses of the Russians being British Citizens when you can buy a British Passport for the price of a house.
These same Russians who are subsidising the Tory Party have put a bounty on our troops in Afghanistan and you support the Tories and what's even worse to my mind we even have ex military coming out in support of the Tories who I repeat are taking money from a country who have put a bounty on both ours and American troops.
The Tories are putting Party before country.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

We live in a new Cyber age, of internet, social media and digital communications and data of all kinds. Industrial espionage has moved online, as companies or countries try to steal secrets - fairly easy concept to understand.

Norway had every health record stolen a couple of years ago, in a Cyber attack by a foreign power, you can line up a couple of potential countries. I was told this, by the head of UK cyber security, at a health conference in Cardiff last year. He was warning about the risks to the UK health records. The NHS systems were targeted, causing a lot of down-time for many Trusts and forcing a revamp of security and upgrade of computer operating systems.

At the 2016 referendum on Brexit, it is well known that a number of ‘marketing’ organisations spend many millions ‘influencing’ voters over social media in a very targeted way. There has been no proper investigation into all that or the sources of funds. Facebook was forced to ban some companies. No doub’t, some voters were influenced through targeted messaging of lies, untruths and part-stories. Many people are easily influences - we just need to look at the growing Qanon movement, who are antivaxxers, believe 5G causes covid, that Bill Gates wants to inject chips into everyone with the vaccines etc. ETC. Offer 100 mobile installations in the UK were vandalised and workers attacked by people influenced by movements in social media. Totally unfounded.

The Russia report looked at potential influence in the Scottish Referendum, concluded there was, yet refused to investigate the 2016 referendum or the 2019 vote. To investigate, the party in power (government) needed to tell MI6 to carry out the investigation, but refused to do so - telling.

It is now estimated that millions of citizens in the USA are influenced by Qanon, with Pence signing up and over 60 Republican candidates. It is a cult, with links to fair-right groups, Christianity, believes in not vaccinating, not wearing masks or locking down etc. Etc. It is also growing worldwide and a real threat to peace.