Brits To Cyprus

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
tonee

Re: Brits To Cyprus

Post by tonee »

Gardner,an MP broke lockdown rules and social distancing...hardly any mention..strange that ain't it? Shouldn't he be hounded ,like the others?Oh,sorry,I forgot..he,s a Labour MP :D
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

tonee wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 pm Gardner,an MP broke lockdown rules and social distancing...hardly any mention..strange that ain't it? Shouldn't he be hounded ,like the others?Oh,sorry,I forgot..he,s a Labour MP :D
I haven't seen any posts on this forum condoning what Barry Gardener did from left, right or centre and like JW the first time I read about it was when you posted about it last night.
His only mitigating factor is of all those who have been shown to have ignored the lockdown rules he was the only one who didn't do it for personal or selfish reasons and by saying that doesn't mean I support his actions.
I think the government and its obedient press have been too busy defending their own corner to worry about Gardiner.
The law makers have become the law breakers, they should lead by example.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Another one! The former Labour MP and Mayor of Leicester who broke lockdown rules to meet his lover.https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lei ... e-53048566
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:30 am Another one! The former Labour MP and Mayor of Leicester who broke lockdown rules to meet his lover.https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lei ... e-53048566
That was on the news the other day and I believe the Council is addressing it.
As I keep repeating, no one is condoning these actions but Renrick and Cummings were part of the government who decided on lockdown and should lead by example. The Mayor, Gardener and Stanley Johnson broke the law and should be prosecuted as should Renrick and Cummings; no one should be above the law but unfortunately it appears many in the present political environment are.

Jim
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Returning to the point of the thread. It would appear that the UK will be in Group B from August 1st. The main concern at the moment, particularly for those wishing to travel to Cyprus is this. How on earth does someone in the UK get hold of a Certificate proving that they do not have Covid19? Not one agency says that such a document exists, yet the RoC seem to insist on them.
Currently you can only be tested in the UK if you are displaying symptoms or someone in your household is. This sort of defeats the object if you are required to get a non existent "Covid free Cert".

Yesterday's briefing stated that the current rate of infection in the UK had gone from 1 in 1700 to 1 in 2200 and was falling between 2 and 5% per week.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:56 am Returning to the point of the thread. It would appear that the UK will be in Group B from August 1st. The main concern at the moment, particularly for those wishing to travel to Cyprus is this. How on earth does someone in the UK get hold of a Certificate proving that they do not have Covid19? Not one agency says that such a document exists, yet the RoC seem to insist on them.
Currently you can only be tested in the UK if you are displaying symptoms or someone in your household is. This sort of defeats the object if you are required to get a non existent "Covid free Cert".

Yesterday's briefing stated that the current rate of infection in the UK had gone from 1 in 1700 to 1 in 2200 and was falling between 2 and 5% per week.
https://www.londondoctorsclinic.co.uk/s ... irus-test/
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

A friend of mine just flew in from Kazakhstan via Germany and he managed to get a certificate.
The strange thing is Kazakhstan is going into major shutdown as CV is running rampant through the country of 16 million people. This is the second lockdown as the first wasn't taken seriously by many people, a bit like the UK.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

That London clinic is very expensive... I’ve seen private tests advertised from £59
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

One thing I'm not clear about is, if you are tested, and are found to have antibodies, ( presumably one has been infected, but are now healthy ) does that mean that you won't be allowed into Cyprus ?

I do not believe that I have been infected with Covid 19, but it is thought that many have been infected, without suffering significant signs and symptoms.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

As far as I know, the Abbot test that this clinic are offering was the most unreliable. I would hope that it has been improved since inception especially given they want nearly £200 !
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:01 pm That London clinic is very expensive... I’ve seen private tests advertised from £59
I was replying to a poster who said.
How on earth does someone in the UK get hold of a Certificate proving that they do not have Covid19? Not one agency says that such a document exists, yet the RoC seem to insist on them.

I found that clinic with one click on google, there are many many more to pick from
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:05 pm One thing I'm not clear about is, if you are tested, and are found to have antibodies, ( presumably one has been infected, but are now healthy ) does that mean that you won't be allowed into Cyprus ?

I do not believe that I have been infected with Covid 19, but it is thought that many have been infected, without suffering significant signs and symptoms.

Jackie
Jackie
As I wrote in another thread, the wife and I came back from the UK really ill at the beginning of Decmber and were bad with all the now known symptoms for CV19. I eventually went to the Evangalismos mid January for all sorts of tests and they couldn't find anything, at that time CV 19 was generally unknown.
As you said until we're all tested for antibodies we won't know if we've already had the virus.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

I'm glad that you and your wife recovered ok. If CV19 was unknown, then presumably it wouldn't show up in any test that you had.

My question though is, if I test positive for antibodies at the airport, but I am quite well, will I be allowed into Cyprus or not. It seems ridiculous that if I had been infected months ago, without being diagnosed, but presumably no longer infectious, that I will never be allowed into Cyprus again, as those antibodies will always be there.

No-one seems to know.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Antibody tests do not work for everyone - you might not exhibit antibodies, even after the virus...
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

So what's the answer ?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The short answer is that all in the UK that want to fly here make sure they have the right documentation
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Indeed Trevor, do you know of the documentation needed for Brits to enter Cyprus ? Because try as I might, I am unable to find any positive information.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

This may be of some help.. https://cyprusflightpass.gov.cy/
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks Trevor, I have created an account, but can go no further, as I do not have a flight yet.

Still unsure of what tests I will be required to have, or where.

Jackie