Brits To Cyprus

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Kili01

Re: Brits To Cyprus

Post by Kili01 »

He has turned himself into a laughing stock! Which would be funny if his general incompetence and mismanagement of the country wasn't so serious.

Dee
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I wonder who is worse, those who seek to mock a persons appearance on Twitter of all places, or those who repost it? Devoid of any decent argument so let's talk about a person's looks. Impressive, not.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I dont think that it matters about appearances, its the actions and what a person thinks and says that matters.
I remember, Michael Foot was always mocked by the press about his appearance.

I doubt that anything thrown at Johnson could get anywhere near as bad as what was directed at Corbyn and he was only the leader of the opposition.

https://canadiandimension.com/articles/ ... in-history

Just remember that if you are a Tory/Boris supporter what happened to Corbyn and also Dianne Abbot was disgusting.
David
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Uncle D wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:01 am I dont think that it matters about appearances, its the actions and what a person thinks and says that matters.
I remember, Michael Foot was always mocked by the press about his appearance.

I doubt that anything thrown at Johnson could get anywhere near as bad as what was directed at Corbyn and he was only the leader of the opposition.

https://canadiandimension.com/articles/ ... in-history

Just remember that if you are a Tory/Boris supporter what happened to Corbyn and also Dianne Abbot was disgusting.
I agree. Diane Abbott has to have suffered the worst abuse ever in politics and people seem to have gotten away with saying the most disgusting, hateful things. I don't know how they manage to put up with it. being thick skinned is one thing but some of the abuse goes way beyond that.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

That very old and true saying springs to mind once again. " Judge not a man by the clothes he wears nor the manner of his speech, but judge him by the company that he keeps"
All things are possible
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Sorry I'm lost, what has a photo of Boris got to do with Brits returning to Cyprus ?

Lincoln

I would rather judge a man by the way he treats others.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Coles

Post by Coles »

A very valid point about Corbyn and particularly Abbott - hounded beyond belief and acceptability.

Just makes me wonder though what the government response would have been had they been in power when this previously unknown virus struck, whether the public would have responded in the same way initially, and how their performance would be judged in hindsight.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Not all Conservatives are Boris supporters....
Coles

Post by Coles »

Indeed - me included. My point is that whilst things could have gone a lot better, things could have been even worse.

We are where we are I guess.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

And the consequences of all this will go on. Probably few Brits will be able to take their holiday abroad this year. British Airlines and their staff are losing some of their jobs and the airlines unable to earn the revenue needed to keep going, Cyprus is unable to welcome British holiday makers due to the present Corona virus resurgence in the UK. The earliest is now possibly in August... So the Cypriot tourist industry is losing out, which impacts on the hotels, restaurants and jobs of those workers who usually have employment in them.
A lot of this could have been prevented had the lockdown in the UK been started earlier, and if the appropriate depts had ordered stocks of PPE as other countries, including Cyprus did.
Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Thank you Dee.
My Son in Law is a local lad and a nicer person you couldn't wish to meet.
My daughter and George have three daughters, one 13, one 7 and Savina is 4 months old. All three have low immunity due to sickle cell and Savina was born with a growth on her lung which had to be treated with steroids.
George works in a hotel and has been furloughed since 1st March and the family have been under strict lock down since then and we first held our Savina just over two weeks ago due to her condition.
Now we have the prospect of thousands of British coming over here bringing CV19 with them after all the sacrifice this island has made will be at risk because bojo couldn't get his act together. This isn't about right, left, Tory or Labour, this is about an incompetent government that has been on the back foot since day one. How people can't see Boris Johnson for the incompetent he is, is beyond me.

Jim
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

You can all moan and start to blame BoJo, the Govt and everyone else you might think of. The reason that COVID-19 spread so rapidly in the UK is all down to DENSITY. The population of a town in the UK is higher than the whole of Cyprus.

Also the UK Govt was advised by eminent scientist, to wait and see. If you look at the less densely populated areas of the UK there is either Zero COVID-19 or just a rare case.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lincoln wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:48 pm You can all moan and start to blame BoJo, the Govt and everyone else you might think of. The reason that COVID-19 spread so rapidly in the UK is all down to DENSITY. The population of a town in the UK is higher than the whole of Cyprus.

Also the UK Govt was advised by eminent scientist, to wait and see. If you look at the less densely populated areas of the UK there is either Zero COVID-19 or just a rare case.
Shouldnt you of posted this, in the Joke section :roll:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lincoln
The Netherlands, Japan, Germany and Korea are more densely populated than the UK and their death rates are miniscule in comparison.
Blojo and his government totally ignored SAGE (many eminent scientists) and initially went for "Herd Immunity" which was a total fiasco and the did a u turn which led to another fiasco as they were then trying to catch up.
Lincoln, why dont you check the actual facts instead of posting hearsay.
The ONS have confirmed there have been over 60,000 excess deaths to date in the UK and that makes it third worst in the world. If you average out the equivalent death rate in Cyprus it would come to around 1200 if multiplying the population by 60 when the actual deaths is around 20.
Instead of posting imaginary information why don't you actually check out and do a cross reference to find out what's really happening, you may be surprised

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

As an island the UK should have had at least half the deaths of Italy and Spain - the fact it didn’t is down to three main people, Cummings, Johnson and Hancock. Criminals.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I wonder if Boris will get the blame for the 96 new cases of Covid on the Costa del Sol 🙄
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Only if one of his relations, like his father, has breached the rules and went there....
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:04 am Stanley Johnson certainly needs his eyesight tested, he thought he was on his way to Barnard Castle :lol:

Quite by chance he ended up at his villa in Greece. Via. Bulgaria. Breaking Bulgaria's 14 day quarantine requirement for travellers to the country.

One law for them, another for the plebs. Do as I say, not as I do.

We can see where Boris gets his character traits and guiding principles from.
Mr Johnson told the newspaper he was visiting the country on "essential business trying to COVID-proof my property in view of the upcoming letting season".

So now Greece, does not have any cleaners that could of gone there and cleaned the house, lying Muppets, just like his son, and Cummings, Trio of Wallys par excellence.
tonee

Post by tonee »

And of course you forget to mention...Labour MP Barry Gardiner..strange that :D
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

tonee wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:16 pm And of course you forget to mention...Labour MP Barry Gardiner..strange that :D
I had to go and look that one up. so I presume you mean attending a protest? I'd condemn him for breaching guidelines - but that's also whataboutery, re Stanley Johnson - the father of the PRIME MINISTER - who obviously had strings pulled to waltz through Bulgarian and Greek customs..