Brits To Cyprus

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Diocletian

Re: Brits To Cyprus

Post by Diocletian »

I cannot comment on the Bournemouth pics but the scenes at Durdle Door a couple of weeks earlier were authentic. I do not for the life of me understand why the authorities are not stamping these things out. There have been mass demo's and disorder despite it being illegal to group together and you have the likes of Sadiq Khan allowing protests to score some kind of political point against the Government.

The UK wide pandemic has been devolved to such an extent that the average citizen is very confused as to the regs. Here in Wales, the Assembly just copies and pastes the response of Scotland but a week or so later and seems to try to score political points at every turn. They have reopened non essential shopping but you cannot travel for more than 5 miles to get to them....pointless.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
lotus

Post by lotus »

A friend in Bournmouth verified the beaches all around the area were packed,and as for the rubbish left behind..........,absolute madness!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Our daughter was at Brighton on Thursday and said it was jam packed on the beach.

Jim
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

In my mind I always refer to BEACHES as being made of SAND. Brighton is a slope of stones and pebbles, how can it be called a beach. I know - I know it's a beach OK. I feel better now.
All things are possible
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

We live in such a blame culture everything and anything is blamed on the government in Britain, would any other government done any better, I doubt it, even the WHO didn’t get it all right, everyone is dealing with unknowns
I would agree that the government haven’t done everything correctly but dealing with an unknown is not easy, how would the
British public taken to a full lockdown not very well looking at recent events
The onerous was placed on each individual separately to take care of their own welfare but unfortunately in society one cannot
educate stupid and there seems to be an abundance around in Britain looking over the last 2 weeks, unfortunately many think “it’s all over” but as seen in Leicester that is far from the case
Many are looking to fly this year but I for one haven’t the need so for 2020 I’ll remain in situ
WHL

Post by WHL »

Yioula wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:48 pm We live in such a blame culture everything and anything is blamed on the government in Britain, would any other government done any better, I doubt it, even the WHO didn’t get it all right, everyone is dealing with unknowns
I would agree that the government haven’t done everything correctly but dealing with an unknown is not easy, how would the
British public taken to a full lockdown not very well looking at recent events
The onerous was placed on each individual separately to take care of their own welfare but unfortunately in society one cannot
educate stupid and there seems to be an abundance around in Britain looking over the last 2 weeks, unfortunately many think “it’s all over” but as seen in Leicester that is far from the case
Many are looking to fly this year but I for one haven’t the need so for 2020 I’ll remain in situ
I think your question should of been, ''would any other government done any worse''?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Yioula

I quite agree with you, Boris was dealing with a situation quite unlike any other. He has taken advice from scientists, and acted accordingly.

There is one half of the population saying that it's too early to ease lockdown, the other half saying that Boris not lifting it fast enough. Instead of pulling together, as a country should in these circumstances, the Labour Party have done nothing but complain that things haven't been handled correctly. Point scoring, or rather trying to, to boost their own importance, and quite frankly it's pathetic.

I want to fly this year, I haven't seen my Son and his family since Christmas, I have been alone for three months, doing as I was advised to, and it's upsetting that I might not see them for another few months, because we have some idiots in our midst.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

One of Boris's first actions was to go around shaking hands with corona virus patients. That didn't end well. You can guarantee that wasn't done following advice from scientists.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The big problem, which the whole of the UK has been a party to, is the gradual erosion of safety nets. Decades of cost cutting, while at times for good reason, have far too often been achieved by removing safety buffers. Why have x numbers of masks, when we only need them in a worst case scenario? Why not rely on x/2?

It is the equivalent of owning a house and saving money by not insuring it. This is great until the shit hits the fan.

Unfortunately, the shit has now hit the fan.

I believe it has been the Lib Dems who have been most keen to raise taxes over the last few electorial campaigns, which is what is needed if we want to restore these safety nets. But they won't get anywhere in the polls because nobody wants to vote for a party that puts up taxes.

So, if people want somebody to blame, blame the population of the UK, for not giving enough of a shit when we had the chance.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:02 pm Yioula

I quite agree with you, Boris was dealing with a situation quite unlike any other. He has taken advice from scientists, and acted accordingly.

There is one half of the population saying that it's too early to ease lockdown, the other half saying that Boris not lifting it fast enough. Instead of pulling together, as a country should in these circumstances, the Labour Party have done nothing but complain that things haven't been handled correctly. Point scoring, or rather trying to, to boost their own importance, and quite frankly it's pathetic.

I want to fly this year, I haven't seen my Son and his family since Christmas, I have been alone for three months, doing as I was advised to, and it's upsetting that I might not see them for another few months, because we have some idiots in our midst.

Jackie
Jackie - sorry, but that is nonsense. The labour party has been overly fair, in my opinion. If the Tories were not so far ahead, they would currently be in trouble.
Starmer has let Doris off the hook far too much... he is 100% to blame for;

Dismissing all Tory MPs who opposed Brexit, resulting in appointing a cabinet of inexperienced and frankly shambolic twats!

He locked down at least 10 days too late
He allowed all flights into the UK with no restrictions and no isolation
He popped the fragile out of hospitals into care homes, without tests and advised care homes they didn't need PPE
He totally screwed up the PPE provision
He did not test enough, quickly enough
He has had no Track Test and Trace and spends millions failing to create an APP
He has unlocked too quickly - causing blooms such as Leicester
He hasn't advised wearing face coverings in shops

I could go on - he is 100% to blame. He makes mistake after mistake. Even allowing pubs to open for the first time in over 3 months on a Saturday!

I say He is every case - as his band of plonkers, such as HardCock, Pretty Useless, Flab and others are all his minions...

Don't get me started on other faults...

He should be up on charges for the absolute shambles of running a country - not even attending SAGE and other more important meetings... taking every weekend off ..
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jackie
Ah but that is where he went wrong, he should have asked the social media experts who sit in front of their computer screen and pontificate, instead of asking mere scientists and advisors! :lol:
lotus

Post by lotus »

Even though Iam a Tory supporter and always have been I have to agree,the guys a bloody idiot!,God knows what's going to happen in the next few weeks in the UK
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:04 pm

Jackie
Ah but that is where he went wrong, he should have asked the social media experts who sit in front of their computer screen and pontificate, instead of asking mere scientists and advisors! :lol:
Ok, smarty, tell me something Boris has done well, in this Crisis - apart from Furlough, which I admit the Chancellor has done really well with.

I could get kids to plan strategy better than this cabinet - who in their right mind would have sent RAF planes to Turkey, to pickup PPE from an unknown supplier, when even the TV pictures showed a sweatshop of sewing machines, with no masks being worn, never mind other traits.

The stuff is all in landfill already!

Or, wait till Sunday morning and the reports of carnage in bars in England, opening on a Saturday for the first time in months...
Like the carnage at beaches...
Or the lack of PPE causing many hundreds of deaths of care workers... when Zero, that's correct, Zero care workers in Germany died.

How could an island nation on the edge of Europe, have the second-worst death rate in the world?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jackie
He may of asked scientists and advisors but in many cases totally ignored their advice that's why the scientists and advisors set up an alternative SAGE comittee because they were being dictated to by a guy with an History Degree called Cummings or were thrown off the Daily Brief if they dared not to say what they're told to say.
So in answer to your comments, he did not take advice of the people he should have.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm

Jackie
He may of asked scientists and advisors but in many cases totally ignored their advice that's why the scientists and advisors set up an alternative SAGE comittee because they were being dictated to by a guy with an History Degree called Cummings or were thrown off the Daily Brief if they dared not to say what they're told to say.
So in answer to your comments, he did not take advice of the people he should have.

Jim
Again I refer you to my comment about social media experts....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Um, in fairness to Jim B, he already answered that. Are you saying you think Boris Johnson was advised to shake hands with Coronavirus patients, for a start?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It seems that Boris still has some fans, despite everything which has happened. Boris just isn’t good at making timely decisions based on sensible advice. By that I don’t mean his seeming reliance on one advisor. Senior or otherwise.. How many people have died un necessarily of Covid related symptoms? why has he decided to open bars and pubs this Saturday and will people in Leicester stay there or gravitate elsewhere?
Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dee

It occurs to me that all governments are making strange decisions. As with the UK and Leicester, Germany has re-imposed lockdown in at least one area, but the Germans are still being allowed into Cyprus. That isn't a complaint either, merely an observation.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have just read end of July to beginning of August is most likely
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

We can speculate until the cows come home, the official announcement is the only one that matters