No excuse for this

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: No excuse for this

Post by Dominic »

Oh stop it. Now you are just being unneccesarily pedantic.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:45 am Oh stop it. Now you are just being unneccesarily pedantic.
But my gym is still closed - therefore, I´m bored.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

L.B.

It's ironic, I'm wrong to make caparisons, then I'm wrong if I agree with you, that comparisons shouldn't be made. Make your mind up :roll:

Nor am I ignoring the reaction in the wider world. I agree with a peaceful protest, without violence and criminal damage. One is lawful, the other is not. The police are duty bound to maintain law and order, amongst other things. They should only use sufficient force as is necessary to do so, wherever they are in the world.

As far as the injuries to our police officers goes, it's a disgrace, but with mobs like this it's bound to happen unless they are better equipped. No horses should ever be used in riots and crowds to my mind. As Trevor said, tear gas and water cannon is the way to go. I believe that our police force is the best in the world, but then, I'm biased.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:21 pm ... but then, I'm biased.
We know! :lol: :lol: :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

[quote=Firefly
But then, I'm biased.
[/quote]

No **** Einstein :lol: :lol: :lol:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Yes I am, my late husband was a police officer for over 30 years.

Thanks both for scoffing, hope it makes you feel good, have a nice day.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jackie, I can appreciate someone who had a relative in the police, would be more protective towards them. I am sure nobody on here advocates ANY violence towards the police. Similarly, we mostly find 'violence' rather than 'force' used by the police, unacceptable.

You seem to resent any uprising in the UK on the BLM theme, as it's nothing to do with us. I am afraid the world is a small place now and with the social networking and immediate portrayal of horrific incidences, such as the George Lloyd killing coming to light, rather than being hidden before, means that this racist incident gets top press. It is a racist incident as we are sure this would not have occurred by that officer, with a white offender. Even if the victim was drugged, committing an offense or whatever, the police were always wrong to use an illegal press on the neck and back and not use proper restraint, especially when it is proven he did not resist arrest.

The UK and some other countries have shameful pasts relating to colonialism, racism, slavery, and exploitation. While many have the view that this is the past and should be regarded as history and not brought up, the same people likely defend the UK forces without question in many countries like Cyprus, Kenya, and Ireland.

If I was black, I would be offended by statues and pedestals commemorating a slave trader. They tried for 30 years to have the Colston statue removed. They also tried to put another plate on the pedestal. To no avail.

I am from Irish descent, and I was offended walking past a statue to Cromwell in Warrington. Cromwell sent Irish slaves to the Caribbean - men, women, and children, in the days before black slavery. I didn't deface it, or try to get it removed, but would have been happy to see it removed and it may well be now.

The UK, like most countries in the West, has treated Black and Ethnic people appallingly, even in recent times. There is a sizeable minority that is now signalling that it must stop.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

I have two close friends of Jamaican origin, neither of whom would ever react in the way that the mob has in some of our cities.

If this killing of a black person by our police, in the manner in which has been shown, had happened in Britain, then I would not be at all surprised, but it wasn't. I agree that statues of slave traders is offensive, to all our citizen, if not, it should be. Sadly they are a part of our history, but yes remove them from public view.

Of course black people should be treated equally with white, the colour of our skin means nothing, it's what we feel for our fellow man that counts, and the way we behave in society. There is no room for violence in any walk of life, this was an excuse for the mob to riot, nothing more, nothing less.

Jackie
tonee

Post by tonee »

So,are the murals depicting the"glorious IRA" in Londonderry who murdered no end of innocent people going to be erased?Khan got rid of the water cannons when he became Mayor of London,saw these used in Belfast,that crowd throwing Boris bikes at the horses and Police would of been dispersed in minutes with water cannon,believe me.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:14 pmIt is a racist incident as we are sure this would not have occurred by that officer, with a white offender.
I´m not sure about that.
Jimgward wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:14 pm Even if the victim was drugged, committing an offense or whatever, the police were always wrong to use an illegal press on the neck and back and not use proper restraint, especially when it is proven he did not resist arrest.
The neck restraint is legal in a lot of US states. And in France, btw.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

tonee wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:27 pm So,are the murals depicting the"glorious IRA" in Londonderry who murdered no end of innocent people going to be erased?Khan got rid of the water cannons when he became Mayor of London,saw these used in Belfast,that crowd throwing Boris bikes at the horses and Police would of been dispersed in minutes with water cannon,believe me.
While we are at it, lets stop all that sodding marching.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:52 pm
Jimgward wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:14 pmIt is a racist incident as we are sure this would not have occurred by that officer, with a white offender.
I´m not sure about that.
Jimgward wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:14 pm Even if the victim was drugged, committing an offense or whatever, the police were always wrong to use an illegal press on the neck and back and not use proper restraint, especially when it is proven he did not resist arrest.
The neck restraint is legal until you put handcuffs on, not until you squeeze the F*****g life out of someone, do you not have any sympathy for this poor man who lost his life :roll:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jeba - show me evidence of this being a legal restraint, as all media I saw called it illegal in the states....

You might think blacks get treated equally to white, but that is wrong...
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:13 pm The neck restraint is legal until you put handcuffs on, not until you squeeze the F*****g life out of someone, do you not have any sympathy for this poor man who lost his life :roll:
Of course, Chauvin used excessive force. I´m not condoning this. I just doubt he would have acted differently if Floyd had been white. And for the record, while Flod wasn´t the kind of person I´d wish to have as a neighbour (just google for his criminal record) he shouldn´t have had to die.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:15 pm Jeba - show me evidence of this being a legal restraint, as all media I saw called it illegal in the states....

You might think blacks get treated equally to white, but that is wrong...
For a start: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... und-world/
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 52886.html
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

jeba wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:52 pm
I´m not sure about that.
Many US states have stopped / banned the use of 'neck restraint' and The French government announced on Monday that police will no longer be able to use chokeholds when arresting people.

Maybe it was legal to use it in some places.. But not for 9 minutes until a guy dies !!!
Trev..
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Another man who died whilst being restrained by police, this case didn't appear to get much attention. Unpleasant reading but worth a look.https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investi ... pa-s-life/
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Please,will all you who have posted on this subject stop believing in what you have read or heard in the news.Particularly the BBC ( the British Bolshovik Broadcasting Corperation) or even worse The Guardian.Try RT News. and you will see it in a different way.( unbiased)
Propaganda thought history has usually worked.Dont fall for it. :roll:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Chaddy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:22 pm Please,will all you who have posted on this subject stop believing in what you have read or heard in the news.Particularly the BBC ( the British Bolshovik Broadcasting Corperation) or even worse The Guardian.Try RT News. and you will see it in a different way.( unbiased)
Propaganda thought history has usually worked.Dont fall for it. :roll:
Lay off the crack pipe.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Well, we had plenty of people who had something to say about the BLM protests last week, but nothing to say about the EDL and BNP and others who didn’t meet to protest, as Priti Patel tried to insinuate, but to fight - and since there were no blacks to do this with, the police got the brunt - then some people in a park... So, almost all the NEDS in London yesterday caused bother - yet people go missing on here....