No excuse for this

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Re: No excuse for this

Post by Jimgym »

jeba wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:57 am Update: meanwhile the whole unit resigned:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... uspension/

All 57 members of the Buffalo Police Department's Emergency Response Team resigned Friday from the unit in an apparent show of support for two officers who were suspended without pay after being filmed pushing a 75-year-old man to the ground Thursday night.
Does that look like a minority to you?
If you really have to ask, YES it does look like a minority. Please tell me, how does 57 people suddenly become a majority? Again, I refer you to my original comment, and I will again post it here, just for you.

"And that is why a minority of police behave in such a manner, because they know there will be people who will excuse their behaviour...."
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:18 am

All 57 members of the Buffalo Police Department's Emergency Response Team resigned Friday from the unit in an apparent show of support for two officers who were suspended without pay after being filmed pushing a 75-year-old man to the ground Thursday night.
If you really have to ask, YES it does look like a minority. Please tell me, how does 57 people suddenly become a majority? Again, I refer you to my original comment, and I will again post it here, just for you.

"And that is why a minority of police behave in such a manner, because they know there will be people who will excuse their behaviour...."
A minority of zero % of this unit. What do you think are the odds that this unit is such an outlyer that it's justified to claim the majority of policemen have a different view? What do you base your claim on?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

jeba wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:49 am

A minority of zero % of this unit. What do you think are the odds that this unit is such an outlyer that it's justified to claim the majority of policemen have a different view? What do you base your claim on?
From Andre Cuomo "This incident is wholly unjustified and utterly disgraceful.

I've spoken with Buffalo @MayorByronBrown and we agree that the officers involved should be immediately suspended pending a formal investigation.

Police Officers must enforce — NOT ABUSE — the law. "

"The casual cruelty demonstrated by Buffalo police officers tonight is gut-wrenching and unacceptable," said the New York Civil Liberties Union via a statement Thursday night.

The comments above pretty much sum things up for me. Shame on those who defend this sort of behaviour.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:03 am

I've spoken with Buffalo @MayorByronBrown and we agree that the officers involved should be immediately suspended pending a formal investigation.

"The casual cruelty demonstrated by Buffalo police officers tonight is gut-wrenching and unacceptable," said the New York Civil Liberties Union via a statement Thursday night.

The comments above pretty much sum things up for me. Shame on those who defend this sort of behaviour.
I disagree with Cuomo on this. But you´re avoiding the question. I haven´t asked you about whether or not the policeman´s action was justified but where you take it from that a majority of policemen share your view. Shouldn´t the fact that this is at least unlikely be reason to give the matter second thoughts?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

jeba wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:46 am
Jimgym wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:03 am

I disagree with Cuomo on this. But you´re avoiding the question. I haven´t asked you about whether or not the policeman´s action was justified but where you take it from that a majority of policemen share your view. Shouldn´t the fact that this is at least unlikely be reason to give the matter second thoughts?
Oh dear, perhaps if you read what I actually wrote, then re-read it, then point out where I said a majority of policemen share my view?
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:40 am Oh dear, perhaps if you read what I actually wrote, then re-read it, then point out where I said a majority of policemen share my view?
That´s what you wrote:
What gives you reason to assume that a majority of policemen would have acted differently - given that all his colleges from his unit supported the officer´s action? That was my question - which you avoided.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I have to say that I totally agree with Cactuslil. There is never any excuse for this sickening violence.

I do not believe that in this day and age, that horses are needed to control crowds. Tear gas and water canon should be used in my opinion. In Hereford there was a very peaceful protest, the people were simply kneeling on the floor, no trouble, no violence, and the protest ended quietly. The violence we have seen in London is caused by the rabble and scum in our society, who turn up purely to riot. They need a sharp lesson. Of course the 'snowflakes' won't agree with me, one reason why we have gone soft on this sort of behaviour, human rights gone too far.

That said, I still fail to see why something that happened in America to an American, needs to result in any sort of protest in the UK. As has been said, now we just wait for the second wave of the virus, as no doubt it will follow.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:19 pm That said, I still fail to see why something that happened in America to an American, needs to result in any sort of protest in the UK.
Because we happen to live in the world where modern communications have eliminated a great deal of nationalism, thank goodness! I have not looked up your views on importing American products into the UK but, if you happen to dislike the idea of hormones in your meat, would you object to some from America appearing on your dinner table?

I happen to have been working with the United Nations Environment Programme from the 1980s through to the 2000's. This involved much travelling to developed and developing nations where, of course, I ate a wide variety of foods but, much more importantly, I realised that the world is a cosmos of different peoples. Notwithstanding, these different peoples work together for the common good of the countries they represent. I never encountered nationalistic views in the course of my work; this world has become a very tiny place where nationalism is very much on the wane, overall. Of course, there are nationalists everywhere and where they take high office, such as in the USA and Brazil, these are minor temporary setbacks in the thinking of a truly global world.

"Il n'y en a point comme nous!" has become an outdated symbol.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil

Please, what the heck is what I choose to eat, anything to do with these violent riots ? That said, neither is it your concern.

If someone is killed here in the UK, do the Americans riot ? When P.C. Blakelock was murdered by a rioting mob here, did the Americans riot ? Did anyone riot because of it ? NO. It had nothing to do with the USA, and this has nothing to do with us.

Oh, and quite frankly, I have absolutely no interest in your career either.
Last edited by Firefly on Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:59 pm Oh, and quite frankly, I have absolutely no interest in your career either.
Which illustrates beautifully how closed your mind is! Enjoy your tiny little world! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil

I'm not going to join you in trading childish insults. :roll:
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:59 pm Devil

If someone is killed here in the UK, do the Americans riot ? When P.C. Blakelock was murdered by a rioting mob here, did the Americans riot ? Did anyone riot because of it ? NO. It had nothing to do with the USA, and this has nothing to do with us.

We could also mention Lee Rigby. Don’t remember demonstrations & riots only that his killer is in jail demanding this & that & quoting “his human rights”.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

L.B.

No You're right, they were not. P.C. Blakelock was murdered because he was a police officer doing his job. Lee Rigby was murdered because he was a member of our Armed Force. One trying to control a rioting mob, the other walking back to his barracks. Both innocent, upstanding members of our community.

Floyd was a known criminal who was being arrested. No comparison whatsoever.

If you don't have law enforcement you have anarchy. There are those who will abuse their power in every walk of life, it's wrong, but it happens.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

"Straw that broke the camel's back" is a phrase that springs to mind.

And when police go around slashing tyres of cars in carparks, so that the people using the cars can later be nabbed for breaching the curfew, you have to admit they have a point.

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dominic

More out of America, again, nothing to do with us.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If you don't want to talk about it, fine. Other people do though.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

That is truly terrible behaviour. Why on earth are they doing this? Do they not realise feelings are running high against the police as it is?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

One reason is so they can later arrest people for being out after curfew. Another is that it will deter people from coming.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:15 pm One reason is so they can later arrest people for being out after curfew. Another is that it will deter people from coming.
Unbelievable. How to win friends and influence people when large sections of the community are against you. :roll:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:01 pm
More out of America, again, nothing to do with us.
Sorry, but it has everything to do with us and the world. In case you have not noticed it, we entered a new century, a new millennium, some 20 years ago.

400 or so years ago our world evolved round our parish, our village.
300 years ago we probably became less parochial and listened to those around us in other villages.
200 years ago, we entered the era of nationalism.
100 years ago, we saw that nationalism ended in conflict.
20 years ago, we started to realise that parochialism and nationalism are unnatural and we started to think in wider terms, slowly – very slowly – realising that the whole world is just one tiny village, just one tiny parish.
The world is slowly evolving, whether you like it or not, and problems that happen in the USA, Hong Kong, Europe, China, Brazil and in the United Kingdom all have world-wide significance. This is the 21st century.