No excuse for this

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
jeba

Re: No excuse for this

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:55 pm Many native Brits (should I say white peoplet Or Caucasians) to be politically correct, are feeling that these days, the ethnic minorities make so much noise complaining that their rights are being abused and demanding the state redress each and every grievance.
That they feel it is the ordinary non coloured people who are now more at risk of being able to lead theIr normal lives. To walk in the street safely, get timely medical or hospital treatments are just two of their concerns.. The more those people get the more they want. Even English religious practices are in danger, as some object to Christmas being celebrated!
Crazy.

Dee
Shouldn´t justified grievances be redressed? You make it sound as if they were making unreasonable demands. That may or may not be the case - I don´t know what they demand in the UK. However, that you have waiting times for medical treatment has nothing to do with minority issues but with underfunding and the fact that the NHS is not a private system and therefore more bureaucratic.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:55 pm Many native Brits (should I say white peoplet Or Caucasians) to be politically correct, are feeling that these days, the ethnic minorities make so much noise complaining that their rights are being abused and demanding the state redress each and every grievance.
That they feel it is the ordinary non coloured people who are now more at risk of being able to lead theIr normal lives. To walk in the street safely, get timely medical or hospital treatments are just two of their concerns.. The more those people get the more they want. Even English religious practices are in danger, as some object to Christmas being celebrated!
Crazy.

Dee
Have you any proof to back up these claims, because frankly your post reads like a far right propaganda leaflet.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I won’t pick out individual posts, as there are many, that I think verge on or cross the line of racism and bigoted racist views, but I have to say I am amazed how narrow minded so many are.

As to violence, nobody can condone it.

The original protests and looting in the US, there is evidence of right-wing groups starting the rioting and looting in manga cases. Video proving that. Not all obviously, but many realise that the more violence the diluted their case.
boycott

Post by boycott »

How many people that are pro GF and are demonstrating for him have had the experience of arresting and taking a 1.93cm tall man weighing 101kg into custody who is not compliant and under the influence of fentanyl and metamphetamine?

Also of the 4 Police Officers, 3 were trainees and been supervised by the officer whose knee was across the neck of GF.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:55 pm Even English religious practices are in danger, as some object to Christmas being celebrated!
Please, please, please, since when was Christmas an English religious practice? I am not religious but I see red when Christianity is considered as anything less than the world's biggest religion. By the way, I would have had a similar reaction if you had used Ramadan in Bradford as an example.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The officer was one knee in his neck, one on his back. The detainee already said he wasn’t resisting. The police have stun guns and if he was difficult to control, why were the other 3 police bot helping? The killer policeman had 14 serious complaints against him. The police across the USA are poorly trained, poorly chosen and many are ex forces with even less training for the police.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:31 pm I won’t pick out individual posts, as there are many, that I think verge on or cross the line of racism and bigoted racist views, but I have to say I am amazed how narrow minded so many are.

As to violence, nobody can condone it.

The original protests and looting in the US, there is evidence of right-wing groups starting the rioting and looting in manga cases. Video proving that. Not all obviously, but many realise that the more violence the diluted their case.
I wouldn't say they are on the verge. They have leapt over it and are running down the road at a brisk pace.

You can tell the protests in the US have been by and large peaceful because of the lack of people getting shot in them. Given how many guns there are out there, if those protestors wanted to do damage you would have seen mayhem. What has appalled me has been some of the police responses. 75 year old man gets pushed to the ground and cracks his head open. Why? Beacuse he was talking to a policeman. Black store owners phone for police to help prevent looting. The police arrive and promptly arrest the store owners, presumably because they were black. You couldn't make that up. Police patrolling suburbs firing rubber bullets at people standing in their front door, despite the fact that they are allowed to. It's just appalling.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 pm What has appalled me has been some of the police responses. 75 year old man gets pushed to the ground and cracks his head open. Why? Beacuse he was talking to a policeman.
He wasn´t deliberately hurt (at least it didn´t seem so to me). And according to what I read on another forum (no idea whether it´s true) he wasn´t merely talking to police but resisting an order to leave the place and trying to scan their communication device so that he could intercept police communication. Don´t form an opinion before you know the facts. In my view the push wasn´t inappropriately hard given the circumstances. What is a problem is that they didn´t seem to care helping him once he lay on the ground bleeding from his ear.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Let people judge for themselves.

jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:07 pm Let people judge for themselves.

That´s a different video than the one I had seen. Now I´d deem police action appropriate because it looks like an accident and my suspicion that they didn´t care for the wounded man was unfounded. One policeman could be heard ordering "a medic" who arrived shortly. Also, you can see that he had been reaching out with whatever device he held in his hand towards the policeman´s belt - this adds credibility to the claim that he tried to scan a police communication device.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:48 pm
boycott wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:52 pm How many people that are pro GF and are demonstrating for him have had the experience of arresting and taking a 1.93cm tall man weighing 101kg into custody who is not compliant and under the influence of fentanyl and metamphetamine?

Also of the 4 Police Officers, 3 were trainees and been supervised by the officer whose knee was across the neck of GF.
Gf is dead,so I'm not sure what you mean by "pro gf". People are against police excessive tactics which result in deaths, they are trained to deal with large and heavy (and aggressive) people. Trainees or not it's still 4 against 1.I say again the neck hold was being administered for 9 minutes whilst gf was handcuffed, on the ground, and repeatedly saying he couldn't breathe
LB sorry you have no idea how hard it is to deal with a large, aggressive, drugged non compliant person, either in an approved book manner or in the real world manner.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You honestly think it was appropriate for the policeman to shove that man like that?

Words fail me. :lol:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

boycott wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:44 pm
Les Bean wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:48 pm
boycott wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:52 pm How many people that are pro GF and are demonstrating for him have had the experience of arresting and taking a 1.93cm tall man weighing 101kg into custody who is not compliant and under the influence of fentanyl and metamphetamine?

Gf is dead,so I'm not sure what you mean by "pro gf". People are against police excessive tactics which result in deaths, they are trained to deal with large and heavy (and aggressive) people. Trainees or not it's still 4 against 1.I say again the neck hold was being administered for 9 minutes whilst gf was handcuffed, on the ground, and repeatedly saying he couldn't breathe
LB sorry you have no idea how hard it is to deal with a large, aggressive, drugged non compliant person, either in an approved book manner or in the real world manner.
Training deals with that - as does stun guns, batons, 3 other police.... he was killed with an illegal restraint. He murdered the person.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:46 pm You honestly think it was appropriate for the policeman to shove that man like that?
Yes, I do. The officer couldn´t know that the consequence would be such an injury.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

jeba wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:27 am
Dominic wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:46 pm You honestly think it was appropriate for the policeman to shove that man like that?
Yes, I do. The officer couldn´t know that the consequence would be such an injury.
WHAT ?? He pushed an old man backward to fall on the floor and he had no idea that he may bang his head ?? Of course he "couldn't know" he would bang his head, but it was a very good possibility that he would fall to the floor ..
I have viewed the video and the push was not needed, he could have moved him to one side..

Last edited by trevnhil on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trev..
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

And that is why a minority of police behave in such a manner, because they know there will be people who will excuse their behaviour....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, there really is nothing to say to somebody who thinks that sort of action is acceptable.

Well, nothing polite anyway. I don't want to have to ban myself though.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 am And that is why a minority of police behave in such a manner, because they know there will be people who will excuse their behaviour....
In this case it´s not only me and a small minority of police who think it was an appropriate response towards an offender. In protest of the suspension of this officer more than 40 collegues from his unit resigned to show their solidarity with him.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

jeba wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:47 am
Jimgym wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 am And that is why a minority of police behave in such a manner, because they know there will be people who will excuse their behaviour....
In this case it´s not only me and a small minority of police who think it was an appropriate response towards an offender. In protest of the suspension of this officer more than 40 collegues from his unit resigned to show their solidarity with him.
Thank you for reinforcing my point.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Update: meanwhile the whole unit resigned:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... uspension/

All 57 members of the Buffalo Police Department's Emergency Response Team resigned Friday from the unit in an apparent show of support for two officers who were suspended without pay after being filmed pushing a 75-year-old man to the ground Thursday night.
Does that look like a minority to you?