Yummy - Chlorinated Chicken coming to the UK

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Yummy - Chlorinated Chicken coming to the UK

Post by Jimgward »

The government is set to open British markets to food produced to lower US welfare standards as part of its planned trade deal with Donald Trump.

Downing Street on Thursday refused to stand by an earlier pledge to keep so-called “chlorinated chicken” off UK shelves, in the first sign of the government folding under pressure from American trade negotiators.

Ministers are reportedly considering letting in products like chlorinated chicken and hormone-fed beef into British supermarkets, but applying tariffs to them to protect UK-based farmers from competition.

The move would represent a significant loosening of the current situation where complying with high European welfare and sanitary standards for food are a requirement across a wide range of foods.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s ... #gsc.tab=0

Another lying barsteward

WHL

Re: Yummy - Chlorinated Chicken coming to the UK

Post by WHL »

Simple answer, dont buy it, or Im I missing something?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Termites Dream wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:32 pm As long as the product is properly indicating origin and process you have a choice to buy or leave.
What if you're eating out, how will you know what is on offer, will there be a little Stars and Stripes or Union Jack stuck in the grilled Chicken or Steak? America is stating they want point of origin removed from products as part of the deal.
As usual this will affect the poorer section of society also much of our legislation is for the protection and welfare of livestock which we will give away for a trade deal that's of little benefit to the UK.
As usual this UK government is lieing through its teeth again, they promised in February they would NOT lower UK food standards.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

There is a lot of rubbish talked about chlorinated chicken. Firstly, let us see what it really means. In the US, the abattoirs are conducted differently than in the EU and that it is just possible that some faecal matter may reach the skin. Secondly, a water spray is used to clean off any residual contamination. Thirdly, they are then sprayed with a cold very dilute solution of sodium hypochlorite which will disinfect the skin from any pathogens that could remain. After a few minutes, and in contact with any organic matter, the solution decomposes into sodium chloride aka common salt and this will be the only residual substance resulting from the treatment. This solution is the same as Milton, which is commonly used in the UK to disinfect/sterilise the baby's bottles. Please note that the disinfection is not with chlorine, which is a toxic gas, but with a common liquid sterilant.

In the EU, the regulations of abattoirs ensure that faecal matter cannot reach the skin of the chicken. However, the skin is not sterilised and could easily harbour pathogens from other sources than the faecal matter.

Which is safer? Personally, I am not convinced one way or another and I am not even sure of the best way to deal with a purchased chicken, which always seems to me to be a potential hotbed of undesirable pathogens, inside and out! :-( :-(
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The best way to deal with it is to cook it thoroughly.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Can you cook out the overuse of growth hormones and antibiotics.
As I said earlier it's also to do with the wellbeing of the livestock as well quality of the product.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Do the Americans have any incidents of people becoming ill from eating their chicken? I am uncomfortable with the practice of halal slaughter, so I don't buy meat if I know it has been treated this way. But, like chlorinated chicken I don't know if restaurants are serving it.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:16 pm Do the Americans have any incidents of people becoming ill from eating their chicken? I am uncomfortable with the practice of halal slaughter, so I don't buy meat if I know it has been treated this way. But, like chlorinated chicken I don't know if restaurants are serving it.
Alan
They do, food poisoning cases are about 4 times higher in the State's than the UK taking into account population differences.
You are correct in that we won't know what we are getting in a restaurant and will have to rely on the honesty of the proprietor.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Thanks Jim, I’ve little knowledge of it, as yet!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The growth hormone and inhuman treatment of animals in the USA. Some in farms where they see no grass, are covered in faeces as animals, all their lives ... Even the Daily Mail has an image of a us farm with 12000 cows in one enclosure, no room to move.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Currently, up to 92% of U.S. corn is genetically engineered (GE), as are 94% of soybeans and 94% of cotton (cottonseed oil is often used in food products).
Michael Gove told the Daily Telegraph in 2017 that food made from genetically modified crops will continue to be banned in the UK after Britain leaves the European Union. I wonder how long that will last?
David
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Coming to a UK food outlet near you soon.....
If it ain't got an originating label, it's not going in our shopping basket. Those Yanks can stick their chicken up their fat arses!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I would have no objection whatsoever to 'chlorinated' chicken. I would not wish to have any flesh, fish or fowl containing more than mere trace amounts of antibiotics or hormones.

I have put the word chlorinated in inverted commas because the chickens are not subjected to the toxic chlorine gas but to a very dilute solution of sodium hypochlorite, which decomposes after a few minutes leaving a tiny amount of common salt on the skin or in the innards.