Yesterday’s UK death rate (as reported, not ONS) showed it was higher than all 27 EU states combined!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Re: Yesterday’s UK death rate (as reported, not ONS) showed it was higher than all 27 EU states combined!

Post by Jimgym »

No Jim, racism does not go with the job. I have to say I am shocked at your acceptance of this abuse, seems I misjudged you.
Uncle D

Re: Yesterday’s UK death rate (as reported, not ONS) showed it was higher than all 27 EU states combined!

Post by Uncle D »

I must say that it makes a change that Mrs Patel is on the receiving end of abuse, in march she was accused of 3 separate counts of bullying from 3 different people in 3 different civil service departments. It looks like all that has been swept under the carpet now.
I noticed of late that her demeanor has changed quite a bit, the sneer she was famous for has changed to a kind of smile, she even spoke without a surly tone in her voice the other day in parliament, they must have spent a few bob on some kind of image coach, but its just a veneer.
David
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Uncle D wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:19 pm I must say that it makes a change that Mrs Patel is on the receiving end of abuse, in march she was accused of 3 separate counts of bullying from 3 different people in 3 different civil service departments. It looks like all that has been swept under the carpet now.
I noticed of late that her demeanor has changed quite a bit, the sneer she was famous for has changed to a kind of smile, she even spoke without a surly tone in her voice the other day in parliament, they must have spent a few bob on some kind of image coach, but its just a veneer.
So she was accused, does that mean she is automatically guilty? Has she been found guilty of anything, I mean in a court, and not the public opinion one? Can you offer ANYTHING apart from sneering commentary and bitchy asides? "It makes a change that she is on the receiving end of abuse"? Wow, just wow. Most decent minded people would condemn it, but not you it seems.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Uncle D wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:19 pm I must say that it makes a change that Mrs Patel is on the receiving end of abuse, in march she was accused of 3 separate counts of bullying from 3 different people in 3 different civil service departments. It looks like all that has been swept under the carpet now.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... stigation/
No sweeping involved, perhaps you should look elsewhere for playground conspiracy theories.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:43 pm No Jim, racism does not go with the job. I have to say I am shocked at your acceptance of this abuse, seems I misjudged you.
Nowhere did I say it was right, just saying when you put yourself into the public arena you must accept there are a lot of nasty people out there. My experiences were not down to racism but as the representative of the company was classed as fair game by those with grievances or complaints.
Whether we like it or not the world is racist, my wife who is from Central Asia suffers from it regularly, not in an overt manner but in a condescending tone as if the white person is talking to a subserviant housemaid.
You may be shocked at my attitude but unfortunately I cannot change people's way of thinking.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:13 pm
The Daily Mail article is from March, reporting the abusive tweets which were in response to one of her team resigning because of her alleged bullying
She has been subjected to much more abuse since then, including the oft used “coconut” slur.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

This is why people do not like her. 'She is sorry if people feel that there have been failings', people didnt feel that there were failings with PPE there were definite failings but no apology from her or the government.
Last edited by Uncle D on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:05 pm
No sweeping involved, perhaps you should look elsewhere for playground conspiracy theories.
If you think that my posts are playground conspiracies why are you drawn in by them? surely you should take the moral high ground and not lower yourself to my level by joining in :lol:
David
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Uncle D wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:01 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:05 pm
If you think that my posts are playground conspiracies why are you drawn in by them? surely you should take the moral high ground and not lower yourself to my level by joining in :lol:
I'm always happy to help those who struggle to distinguish between fact and fiction. I'd never lower myself to condone and excuse racism.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:10 pm I'm always happy to help those who struggle to distinguish between fact and fiction.
Now your being patronising :roll:
David
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Uncle D wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:13 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:10 pm I'm always happy to help those who struggle to distinguish between fact and fiction.
Now your being patronising :roll:
Perish the thought! Merely helping out someone in need, luckily I didn't expect thanks. :mrgreen:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Getting back on track, this article from Bloomberg spells out the failures of this government. It's not from the left wing press or anti Blojo but a fair view of why the country is in the mess it's in.

Jim

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... s-get-away
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

To me, it reads more like the first chapter of a novel, than a news article.

Boris is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't, by certain sectors. As for name calling, it's childish and unnecessary, no argument was ever won that way.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:41 pm Jim B

To me, it reads more like the first chapter of a novel, than a news article.

Boris is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't, by certain sectors. As for name calling, it's childish and unnecessary, no argument was ever won that way.
It's an in depth article highlighting the step by step failures of this government. Now maybe it doesn't suit your viewpoint but that is what has happened and why the death toll is so high.
Boris would not be dammed if he DID, he's being dammed because he DIDN'T and the article lists the things his government failed to do.
Even fellow Conservative MPs are shocked by the way this government has handled the crisis.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

It still reads like a novel to me, whether or not it suits my viewpoint.

As I see it, Boris can't please everyone, as far as I know, he has consulted the scientific world before taking action, and quite rightly.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:01 pm Jim

It still reads like a novel to me, whether or not it suits my viewpoint.

As I see it, Boris can't please everyone, as far as I know, he has consulted the scientific world before taking action, and quite rightly.
:roll:
The Buffoon, certainly didnt please the forty odd thousand poor souls that lost their lives, any sane person who tries to justify his actions, or rather lack of action, just beggars belief, :roll:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

There are mistakes that almost any of us could have mitigated against... such as;

Lockdown - all Europe, particularly Spain and Italy, were begging us to lock down! As did China and S Korea and others.. We waited another 10 days or so, beyond where we should have. Did racing at Cheltenham influence that? Scientific advice was advocating locking down. Economics was saying no.

Elderly patients were punted out of hospitals into care homes, without tests and with some known to have Covid symptoms. We were also telling care homes, at the time, that PPE wasn't necessary!

PPE Shortages and the handling of it all the way - why did we not put out pleas to industry from as soon as we knew we had shortages? Companies were even being turned away?

Testing - a complete and utter shambles - we should and could have used the help of S Korea and Germany

There are many other mistakes and the ONLY thing I can think we did do well, is the Furlough scheme. Happy for ANY examples of others!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 pm Strikes me Jimgym is a trifle sensitive towards Boris being rubbished. Clearly he isn't aware of many of the things Boris has said and written in his newspaper articles. A link is here: https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-j ... ies-2019-6, but a taster is below:

Boris Johnson called gay men 'tank-topped bumboys' and black people 'piccaninnies' with 'watermelon smiles'
Adam Bienkov Jun 9, 2020, 12:45 PM

Boris Johnson has a long record of controversial comments about women, gay people and ethnic minorities.

He has called gay men "bumboys," and compared Muslim women to "letterboxes."

In one column he labeled black Africans "piccaninnies" with "watermelon smiles."

He suggested that Malaysian women only go to university "to find men to marry."

LONDON — Boris Johnson's spokesman this week denied that the UK is a racist country, in the wake of widespread protests by Black Lives Matters protesters across the country.

The UK prime minister also used an address to the nation on Monday to claim that protesters across the country who clashed with police and knocked down a statue of a slave trader, risked undermining the cause against racism.

However, Johnson himself been dogged by allegations of racism and bigotry over the course of his career, due to a series of controversial columns he has written and comments he has made.

Still wish to defend Boris Jimgym?
Those remarks are truly disgusting and completely unacceptable.

Remind me, wasn't it you Lloyd, who was gleefully revelling in the Twitter abuse directed at Boris Johnson amongst others? Here's a bit of advice, stop being such a complete and utter hypocrite
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Below is another pointer to what's going on under Blojo's watch. One of many questionable contracts awarded to friends and political allies without going through the normal bid process.
The Tory Party has been hijacked by a group of charlatans and the quicker Tory supporters realise what's happening and stop following blindly without question the better it will be for everyone

Campaigners are seeking a judicial review into how a pest-control company with net assets of £19,000 was given a government contract worth £108m to secure personal protective equipment (PPE) for health workers during the coronavirus pandemic.  PestFix, which has 16 staff and is based in Littlehampton in Sussex, was given the contract in early April to provide items such as gowns and face masks to the NHS.  The £108m contract was one of the biggest among £1.7bn of deals to tackle coronavirus that were signed with private companies in the spring, most without a competitive tender process.  The Good Law Project, a not-for-profit campaign group, is suing the government over the decision to make the award to Crisp Websites Limited, the company behind PestFix. It argues that the single deal is equivalent to nearly a third of the £350m of PPE-related contracts signed earlier this year.  The group, set up by barrister Jolyon Maugham, is seeking a judicial review to find out why only one bidder competed for the contract, where — if anywhere — it was advertised and how the company was chosen.  Recommended UK Government UK government paid £1.7bn to private groups for coronavirus contracts The review would also seek to reveal whether the entirety of the £108m was paid as an upfront lump sum, why the contract covers 12 months to March 2021 and why the notice announcing the award of the contract was not published within 30 days as required. The lawyers are also seeking an explanation of why the full contract has not yet been published by the government.  The Good Law Group sent a judicial review pre-action protocol letter on Friday and on Monday will issue judicial review proceedings in the High Court.  “We know that we are in unprecedented times, but we cannot afford to sacrifice transparency — or rationality — when it comes to such vital contracts, especially not those for the purchase of life-saving PPE,” said Mr Maugham.  The Department of Health and Social Care declined to comment. Dan England, co-founder of PestFix, said it had won the contract because it was small enough to be “dynamic” and had made a competitively priced commercial offer. “We are a success story. We have not been sitting around on social media casting around for equipment; we had a thriving supply chain with China before the contract. We have nearly fulfilled our NHS contract and supplied over 67m pieces of equipment.”

https://www.ft.com/content/43bb10de-645 ... 3e61754ec6
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:40 am As ye sew, so shall ye reap. And if it's OK for Boris to make "truly disgusting and completely unacceptable" (your words) remarks about others, why should anyone feel bad about nasty comments directed towards Boris?

This is a man who lied to the Queen. An adulterer. A man who will not admit to the number of progeny he has had by way of his many affairs. This is a man who has no shame and who lies repeatedly...just like he did during the Brexit campaign. This is a man who has so incompetently managed the Covid-19 crisis that nearly 60,000 have died on his watch, including NHS/care home front line workers who were denied the PPE they should have received.

Boris is a charlatan, interested only in the furtherance of his own ambitions to be PM. A Wurzel Gummidge who rarely bothers turning up for meetings of national import, does not work weekends, defends Cummings to the hilt, avoids media scrutiny and accountability, reportedly does not read briefing notes, has no eye for detail...and who in this time of national crisis revels in playing tennis at Buckingham Palace or the American Ambassadors residence, when he should be doing an honest days work in No. 10.

Yet you admire, trust, and defend this man?
Poor Lloyd, called out as a hypocrite and now getting more and more desperate in his attacks on the man who led his party to a massive general election win. Reading your comments reminded me of Dennis Healey's remark to Geoffrey Howe, "like being savaged by a dead sheep" :lol: