Yesterday’s UK death rate (as reported, not ONS) showed it was higher than all 27 EU states combined!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Yesterday’s UK death rate (as reported, not ONS) showed it was higher than all 27 EU states combined!

Post by Jimgward »

Boris said he was proud of the government performance on Covid19. :o
71 Trans Am

Re: Yesterday’s UK death rate (as reported, not ONS) showed it was higher than all 27 EU states combined!

Post by 71 Trans Am »

That’s because a lot of the general public could not give a S**T look at last weekends warm weather when they were told not to gather in large groups and keep their distance and nearly every coastal resort and picnic area was packed out to the point where some were touching each other and swimming together - The fallout from this will be in 14 to 28 days time then see what the figures will look like just before they all set of on their Holidays to Spain and Cyprus and any other place that will let them in – There will be no end to this just watch and if we all have to lockdown again the economic cost and possible loss of life will be horrendous.
Jimgward

Re: Yesterday’s UK death rate (as reported, not ONS) showed it was higher than all 27 EU states combined!

Post by Jimgward »

7B27B289-08D5-4F11-B3CE-11E819B0A929.jpeg
7B27B289-08D5-4F11-B3CE-11E819B0A929.jpeg (221.55 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
WHL

Post by WHL »

The Keystone Cops would of done a better job, of handling this crises, then this bumbling fool and his band of clowns.
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

It doesn't take long for the usual bigots to start sounding off.

Undoubtedly things could have been handled better in the UK, but would any of the opposition parties done a better job of it. I don't think so.

A couple of points that need to be made to add a bit of perspective to what has been happening in the UK. Locking down over 66 million people is not as easy as locking down a tiny population the size of what there is in Cyprus. Taking ourselves as an example, we don't live in one of the large cities but more people live within 10 miles of where I am sitting, than live in Cyprus. Population density is a significant factor in the spread of disease, and the spread out population you enjoy cannot be compared to here.

I could go on, but I won't. Life is too short for hoping to inject a smattering of common sense into discussions with people like you.
Last edited by 2QuarterPints on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

2QuarterPints wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:04 am It doesn't take long for the usual bigots to start sounding off.

Undoubtedly things could have been handled better in the UK, but would any of the opposition parties done a better job of it. I don't think so.

A couple of points that need to be made to add a bit of perspective to what has been happening in the UK. Locking down over 66 million people is not as easy as locking down a tiny population the size of what there is in Cyprus. Taking ourselves as an example, we don't live in one of the large cities but more people live within 10 miles of where I am sitting, than live in Cyprus. Population density is a significant factor in the spread of disease, and the spread out population you enjoy cannot be compared to here.

I could go on, but I won't. Life is too short for hoping to inject a smattering of common sense into discussions with people like you.
Quote Undoubtedly things could have been handled better in the UK, but would any of the opposition parties done a better job of it. I don't think so.

One things for sure, No other party would of done a worse job, including the Monster raving loony party.
as for your '' hoping to inject a smattering of common sense into the discussion with people like you,
Common Sense, tell that to the fifty thousand poor souls who have lost their lives :roll:
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Perhaps he proud because, from the start, he predicted it could be a quarter of a million deaths in the UK and he’s kept it below that ;)
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

2QuarterPints wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:04 am Undoubtedly things could have been handled better in the UK, but would any of the opposition parties done a better job of it. I don't think so.

A couple of points that need to be made to add a bit of perspective to what has been happening in the UK. Locking down over 66 million people is not as easy as locking down a tiny population the size of what there is in Cyprus.
During the last Labour government in 2009 there was a full stock of reserve PPE, this was depleted under the current government and after Cygnus in 2016 they were told to restock it, this was ignored, then they were told again in 2019, again it was ignored. I doubt that a Labour government would do the same as the Tories and allow their efforts on PPE to be used for other purposes after their efforts to stockpile it in the first place.
Would Labour allow that 2 weeks of dither to happen? we will never know, but if they did I am sure that Conservative voters and newspapers would be giving them just as much a hard time.

You say that you cant lockdown the UK as easy as Cyprus due to population size, but the UK like Cyprus is an island so should be easier to defend than than say Germany.
Take a look at Japan, another island nation, 1.6 the size in area than the UK and 126.5 million people, twice the population but compere Japans 17,018 cases with 903 deaths with the UKs 282,000 cases and 40,000 deaths.
Could have been handled a bit better is an understatement to say the least.
Of course its too late now, we cant turn back time but will the current Tory government be ever forgiven, I doubt it.
David
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

I was comparing Cyprus with the UK.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

As I said - bigots.
Henann

Post by Henann »

Try and catch channel 4 dispatches from wednesday night And make your minds up.
Think scandalous is the word.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Termites Dream wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:06 am I understand that an article appeared in the FT, which debunks this threads statement. I have not read it, I was informed over the phone by a friend, so this is second hand. The article described the claim as "Nonsense" as the data on the continent is so poor. Not happy with UK either, but not sure everybody is telling the truth.
What part of the threads statement - `I am referring only to the official reported figures by the UK government. The ONS figures would be higher. You are therefore unable to counter the statement, UNLESS the figures of deaths in the other EU countries is bunkum. I frankly respects figures from Germany, Spain,France and Italy as closer to the truth on daily deaths, than the UKs.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

2QuarterPints wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:29 am I was comparing Cyprus with the UK.

As I said - bigots.
Name the ‘bigots’ -otherwise shut up.
Varky

Post by Varky »

2QuarterPints wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:29 am I was comparing Cyprus with the UK.
As I said - bigots.
Just because someone disagrees with you and provides data in support of a contrary argument does not make them a bigot. Name calling, a la Trump, does nothing to advance your argument.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Termites Dream wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:06 am I understand that an article appeared in the FT, which debunks this threads statement. I have not read it, I was informed over the phone by a friend, so this is second hand. The article described the claim as "Nonsense" as the data on the continent is so poor. Not happy with UK either, but not sure everybody is telling the truth.
Whatever the accuracy of other EU figures are we should look only at our (UK) figures and you must agree they are not pleasant reading. I would agree that comparing data from unequal sources may not be useful, but it's not a competition, is it? It's a tragedy of immense proportions.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I've moved this thread to politics, where it should have been posted in the first place.

This is the definition of a bigot:

A person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

So technically, pretty much all of us who post in politics are bigots, if you bother to look at the actual definition, including 2QuaterPints. Your opinion on the alleged bigots was pretty bigoted.

Now, in reality, I think most people use the word bigot in combination with another one, like "racist", or "sexist", which is where I think Jim is coming from, and why he told 2QuarterPints to shut up. That is my guess anyway.

But ultimately:

1. Less name calling.
2. Don't post obviously political stuff in the general board, unless it is a Cyprus news story about Cyprus.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic, my problem for having posted in wrong place - I followed the other thread on Covid - but no excuses.

In terms of my reply to 2x1/4Pts, I found that ‘bigot’ on it’s own was overly offensive. You are correct, that if he has said “political bigot” it would be less offensive.
In terms of all of us being political bigots, I am not sure that’s true. I gave Corbyn loads of stick and have done with Blair. I actually dislike most politicians and haven’t yet an opinion of Starmer, other than he seems a bit ‘wet’ when it comes to getting to the crux.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

When I say we are all bigots, I mean we can all be intolerant to other people's posts here. Let's face it, if we weren't, the politics section would be rather dull and we'd all end up saying "I respect your point of view, however, this is what I think..."

It all depends on how you view the word "intolerant".

So, let's have another definition. I do this for my benefit rather than anybody else's...

Intolerance:

unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behaviour that differ from one's own.

On that basis, I think the issue is, as I said, most people see the word "Bigot" as meaning something much worse than the dictionary definition. Perhaps if 2QuarterPints could clarify what exactly they meant?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/06/05/beyo ... 19-crisis/

A very interesting article which provides the Worlds opinion on the competence of the British Government.
I would rather be though of as a bigot than thought of as a fool.

Jim
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We've passed the 40k mark apparently as reported today.
Not bad considering the UK Government reckoned they would have been happy to have stayed around 20 Thousand Deaths.....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I do not think that you can rely on any of these figures. There are lots of people who are reporting deaths in their families from all manner of conditions and when it comes to the Death Certs, they are nearly all mentioning Covid 19, which in the majority of those cases mentioned was totally untrue.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.