Th P.M.'s speech-understood

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Lincoln

Th P.M.'s speech-understood

Post by Lincoln »

For those failing to grasp what the PM said this evening, I will try to explain it in a way that hopefully helps.

The change of tact from “stay home” to “stay alert” simply means, if you are going out, be careful to keep good social distancing, and ensure you are washing your hands/ kids hands whenever possible.

Going to work if you can’t work from home, HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE PLAN. Frankly I don’t understand why this one is tricky for people. If you cannot perform your role from home, go to work, if your work cannot be completed due to it not being possible thanks to social distancing, or the government advising your industry sector remain closed, then you stay at home. Simple.

Avoid public transport where possible. No brainier. If you don’t understand that one then I don’t know how to help you.

———-

For those of you that love to try and pick apart the current government, I’d like to point out a couple things if I may:

1) There has not been a government in recent memory faced with this problem. If it looks like they are trying to figure things out, that’s because they are.

2) This is a global pandemic. It’s not just some number on a television, it’s not some obscure individual that you sort of know from the town over. It’s international.

3) If you don’t know, or you don’t understand. Research it before you start issuing opinions as facts. There is a plethora of information online from REPUTABLE sources.

4) Science will hold the answers, but you need to give it time. There is no point being pissed off at the government regarding the lockdown, one way or the other. Parliament can only issue statements based on the information they have been given. If it sounds incorrect, then guess what, someone has given that false information.

5) Now is not the time for political point scoring. Right, Left, Middle, it doesn’t matter! If everyone wants to get out of this reasonably quickly with minimal casualties, then you need to just get on with whatever you’re being asked, by whatever powers that be, ask you to. We can worry about civil liberties once the threat of death via a deadly virus is out of the way!

6) Don’t believe everything the media throws at you, question them like you question the government, be critical of those that report information as only then will the truth come out.

7) Disregard opinions and focus on facts. In these times you cannot allow your feelings obscure the information that is present. To ignore the truth for the sake of emotion is to damn the world to continue this spiral. Empathy and other such feelings have a time and a place.

8 ) Be proud to be british, be proud of the NHS, be proud of the essential workers that keep going despite the challenges. When this is all over, these people will fade back into obscurity, and continue to support the country as they have before. This may upset some, but this is the way of the world. Not everyone can be a TV personality, not everyone can be a millionaire musician, but this pandemic is proof, that not everyone has to be, in order to be important.

————

If you’ve read this far then hats off to you, and if you take nothing else from this then please remember:

This pandemic will take time to get through, and rushing will be catastrophic. Please, allow scientists and the government to work it out, they, like us, are only human.

———— :D
All things are possible
JimX

Re: Th P.M.'s speech-understood

Post by JimX »

:lol: great impersonation, in fact more understandable than Boris. Have you watched President Trump's press conference yesterday? he slammed a lady (again) press agent, Trump is a very nasty piece of work, why did the Yanks vote him in. :roll:

Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

To sorta quote Paul Sinha on Twitter:

It’s like playing cricket when you don’t understand the rules- just try to stay in and hope for the best.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

JimX,
You ask why the americans voted for Trump? Because they are, in general, numpties and Trump is built in their image. Having said that the Democrats are so far up their own orifices that they did not put up much of a case in opposition to Trump
Galini

Post by Galini »

Good post Lincoln. Sums up a lot of my thoughts very precisely.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Varky wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:25 am JimX,
You ask why the americans voted for Trump? Because they are, in general, numpties and Trump is built in their image. Having said that the Democrats are so far up their own orifices that they did not put up much of a case in opposition to Trump
Pretty much in a nutshell!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Boris speech, as clear as mud, probably wrote it after having a session in an Amsterdam, coffee house
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Nothing really has changed. He just used a lot of words to tell us they expect more people to go to work if they can.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:50 am Nothing really has changed. He just used a lot of words to tell us they expect more people to go to work if they can.
I can play golf 😀
Varky

Post by Varky »

Jimgym wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:24 am
Varky wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:25 am JimX,
Pretty much in a nutshell!
Having said all that, we have our own version of Trump (who thinks he is Churchill) and our own opposition parties were did not inspire confidence before or at the General Election.
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Excellent post Lincoln.

Varky I have to wonder how many Americans you have actually met. Your sweeping generalisation is pathetic and, quite frankly, you are an embarrassment for making it. You are clearly the type of person the gutter press panders to with all of their negative reporting.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

20ff835f-b12a-4802-a6c6-d5ff12dba3b4.jpg
20ff835f-b12a-4802-a6c6-d5ff12dba3b4.jpg (174.64 KiB) Viewed 5326 times
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

A1B26D4C-C87C-4D9B-90D9-6AFBE5E7267D.jpeg
A1B26D4C-C87C-4D9B-90D9-6AFBE5E7267D.jpeg (59.56 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

2QuarterPints wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm Excellent post Lincoln.

Varky I have to wonder how many Americans you have actually met. Your sweeping generalisation is pathetic and, quite frankly, you are an embarrassment for making it. You are clearly the type of person the gutter press panders to with all of their negative reporting.
Well said. You will note that it is the same people who are staunch Remainers , and didn't they bore us all with their constant opinions ?

They may like to look at their beloved Brussels and the Virus figures Deaths in Belgium are 8761 which looks all right until you realise that the population of the UK is 5.87 times that of Belgium so the extrapolated figure would be 51,340 which is considerably higher than the UK. But, hey, they don't let the facts get in the way of what they consider to be a good story.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Belgium is indeed a shocking figure... as is the UK’s true estimate of at least 55,000. ~Which would surpass event Belgium, per capita.
Belgium, being small and populous, would be like comparing with Greater London.

For sure, the UK is the worst in the world - which, when you then look at the fact we are an island, is totally without comparison.
I would attribute to mistakes in;

Not purchasing PPE or Testing systems
Not locking down quickly enough
Not isolating people coming into the UK - even now!
No Test and Trace - even now
Investing in a proprietary App that doesn’t pass security and governance issues in the UK and won’t work
Lack of ongoing testing, that should be at least 300,000 a day
Moving elderly patients from hospitals, before any tests were done, never mind having the results
Not advising care homes re PPE and not testing their staff until too late

I could go on, but ALL of these do NOT need scientists to give judgement on. We can all see they are criminally wrong. I say that with deep feeling, as mistakes have gone beyond mistakes and MUST be actions designed to follow a certain path (herD immunity)
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Please don't insult our intelligence by spouting " true estimates"

You listen to the BBC too much !
Alastair

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Don’t insult my intelligence with your attempt at a put-down. The figures come from the Financial Times, a Tory-owned paper. They are compiled from ONS figures added to declared figures. I also post this, which is the FT comparison of seasonal deaths across most large European countries, so that comparisons with figures not declared in some countries from care homes and other deaths, can be compared to the UK.

C2822F10-2B93-4165-A04D-64AB5BBDCE14.jpeg
C2822F10-2B93-4165-A04D-64AB5BBDCE14.jpeg (87.57 KiB) Viewed 5262 times
Attachments
A66C31AA-1770-4B10-A7D2-16656472C098.jpeg
A66C31AA-1770-4B10-A7D2-16656472C098.jpeg (174.63 KiB) Viewed 5260 times
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

The Financial Times is not a Tory Newspaper, unless the Japanese are Tory and I believe that they are Middle of the Road.

Even the BBC admits ,on occasion, that not every country collects the figures the same way some do not include Deaths outside Hospital and if they are not collected the using the same criteria then the figures are of no use.

I also think that there are certain countries that are not being completely honest as has been pointed out by some of their citizens.
Alastair

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The graphs above, are the BEST indication of deaths outside the norm. It PROVES that the UK numbers are far higher than Spain, Italy, Germany and more...

The UK has made a complete and utter balls of this - from start to finish. Nothing, almost, has gone right. The only part that is right, is the Furlough scheme for PAYE workers. Other aspects of the financials have been a disaster - panorama last night had businesses going bust as the banks won't loan them.... etc.

EVERY medical intervention by the government has been a failure. I cannot think of ANYTHING in that area that has been handled well - other than the Nightingale hospitals that weren't needed - but that cannot be faulted.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Aargent wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:45 pm
2QuarterPints wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm Excellent post Lincoln.

Well said. You will note that it is the same people who are staunch Remainers , and didn't they bore us all with their constant opinions ?

They may like to look at their beloved Brussels and the Virus figures Deaths in Belgium are 8761 which looks all right until you realise that the population of the UK is 5.87 times that of Belgium so the extrapolated figure would be 51,340 which is considerably higher than the UK. But, hey, they don't let the facts get in the way of what they consider to be a good story.
If you think I am a remainer then you got that totally wrong. Ask HIC and others with whom I have crossed swords on the subject of Brexit.Next time you wish to criticise someone, at least do your homework.
I congratulate you on finding a country that appears to be in a worse state than UK. However you conveniently forget a load of countries that appear to have dealt with the situation far better than the UK. Finally with reference to the gutter press, if you care to troll through my previous comments on the various threads you will find that I criticised the UK on many of their patent failings long before the so-called gutter press highlighted them. Maybe you should be criticising the gutter press for listening to me. Again, do your homework!

I stated that my criticism of Americans was a generalisation and I based it upon the number of Americans that voted for Trump. I am amazed that you appear to be in support of Trump who, by his actions, should be an embarrassment to all normal thinking Americans and probably is.