Business man threatens to sue UK Government.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Business man threatens to sue UK Government.

Post by Jimgym »

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/ma ... p478fTPn38
The government is facing a challenge to the legality of the coronavirus lockdown by a wealthy businessman who fears it will kill more people than it saves.

Simon Dolan, whose Jota Aviation company has been delivering personal protective equipment (PPE) to the NHS, has put the health secretary on notice that he intends to issue proceedings for a judicial review, unless the government reverses some of the lockdown measures and reinstates freedom of movement.

He is taking the action, which echoes that taken by Gina Miller over Brexit, on the grounds that the lockdown was both legally defective and disproportionate in law. He is also seeking minutes of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) meetings this year, some of which involved Boris Johnson’s adviser Dominic Cummings. (rest of article available vial link)
Varky

Re: Business man threatens to sue UK Government.

Post by Varky »

1) Can a 'judicial review' be considered as sueing? Whatever it is just get on with it.
2) The report is as precise as Meghan's action against the Mail on Sunday! He wants some of the measures withdrawn....some???
3) He is putting Matt Hancock on 'notice'. What does that mean?

Good luck with that one (even though I am not a big supporter of the government's overall performance so far). I agree that the minutes of the SAGE group should be published if only to see what Dominic Cummins involvement, if any, was
Firefly

Re: Business man threatens to sue UK Government.

Post by Firefly »

I'm sure it has nothing whatsoever to do with saving his Airline :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.