British Figures Adjusted

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Re: British Figures Adjusted

Post by Jimgym »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:26 pm Not a case of wallowing in muck, more a case of holding inept politicians to account.

Were you aware that when the UK government recently boasted about how many hundreds of millions of PPE items they were receiving, that a pair of gloves counted as two items, and paper towels formed part of the PPE inventory?
Yes, I was very well aware, thank you. I do like to keep up with all the news, good and bad.
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:13 pm Would you like to dispute the figures then? 500-800 dying a day of Covid...and you think that's a result to be proud of?
Is the UK now releasing figures that differentiate between those that are dying of and those that are dying with Covid?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Beechwood wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:49 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:13 pm Would you like to dispute the figures then? 500-800 dying a day of Covid...and you think that's a result to be proud of?
Is the UK now releasing figures that differentiate between those that are dying of and those that are dying with Covid?
This might shed some light on your question. Quite interesting information on the virus deaths and also the economic impact.

"Meanwhile, University of Bristol researchers say the benefit of a long-term lockdown in reducing premature deaths could be outweighed by the lost life expectancy from a prolonged economic dip.
And the tipping point, they say, is a 6.4% decline in the size of the economy - on a par with what happened following the 2008 financial crash.
It would see a loss of three months of life on average across the population because of factors such declining living standards and poorer health care."
Is the virus bringing forward deaths by a few months?

Every year, about 600,000 people in the UK die. And the frail and elderly are most at risk, just as they are if they have coronavirus.
Nearly 10% of people aged over 80 will die in the next year, Prof Sir David Spiegelhalter at the University of Cambridge points out, and the risk of them dying if infected with coronavirus is almost exactly the same.
Chances of dying from coronavirus vs normal risk
That does not mean there will be no extra deaths - but, Sir David says, there will be "a substantial overlap".
"Many people who die of Covid [the disease caused by coronavirus] would have died anyway within a short period," he says.
Knowing exactly how many is impossible to tell at this stage.
Prof Neil Ferguson, the lead modeller at Imperial College London, has suggested it could be up to two-thirds.
But while deaths without the virus would be spread over the course of a year, those with the virus could come more quickly - that, of course, was the logic for the lockdown to stop the health service being overwhelmed.
Lots more in the article.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51979654.508
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym
Again I would say refer to the ONS statistics which takes into account all the points you raised and sadly points out there were an additional 45K deaths according to yearly and seasonal trends.
I suppose I'm one of your "Usual Suspects" but when criticism of this government's response to this virus is across the political spectrum then it's time to step back and ask what the hell lis going on and not follow blindly because the government in question happens to be your preferred party.
None of us are wallowing in this ongoing disaster as you state, most of us are horrified by the disaster unfolding before us.

Jim

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:51 pm Jimgym
Again I would say refer to the ONS statistics which takes into account all the points you raised and sadly points out there were an additional 45K deaths according to yearly and seasonal trends.
I suppose I'm one of your "Usual Suspects" but when criticism of this government's response to this virus is across the political spectrum then it's time to step back and ask what the hell lis going on and not follow blindly because the government in question happens to be your preferred party.
None of us are wallowing in this ongoing disaster as you state, most of us are horrified by the disaster unfolding before us.

Jim

Jim
The same point was also covered in my post. It also stated that it was too early to tell exact figures. I'm not blindly following, but I am getting fed up of the constant negativity, just because people don't like the party in power. I've no doubt all of us are horrified.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

But it is constant negativity, every time we hear the daily death toll. It's not too early to know the figure to date but they've been massaging the figures to make the death toll appear lower than it really is, they know what they're doing and should be held to account now, not in 100 years.
You don't like it because it brings in to question the competence of this government you support and I'm sure HIC (as I would) would be just as critical if it was the Labour Party making such a mess of it. The UK had a head start on Italy and Spain and let it slip, instead of grasping the urgency of the situation like here in Cyprus, Greece and Portugal they dithered, putting money before people.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:48 pm But it is constant negativity, every time we hear the daily death toll. It's not too early to know the figure to date but they've been massaging the figures to make the death toll appear lower than it really is, they know what they're doing and should be held to account now, not in 100 years.
You don't like it because it brings in to question the competence of this government you support and I'm sure HIC (as I would) would be just as critical if it was the Labour Party making such a mess of it. The UK had a head start on Italy and Spain and let it slip, instead of grasping the urgency of the situation like here in Cyprus, Greece and Portugal they dithered, putting money before people.

Jim
So you are disputing the opinion of a professor at Cambridge University who says it too early to know the figure?? If you are interested in holding governments to account then please do so, include France, Italy, Spain in this as they have also massaged as you put it, the figures, rather than cherry picking. Also add Sweden to your condemnation, that way it becomes more than your dislike of a government.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Jimgym wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:11 pm
Yioula wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:53 pm In reality does anyone in any country know the true figures of the deaths ...........
You can rest assured that the usual suspects on here will be ready to say the UK has the worst everything and is doing the worst etc. etc. Irrespective of facts. Just think of them as cheerleaders, but in reverse.
And sure enough it materialised lol
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:08 pm
Yioula wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:53 pm In reality does anyone in any country know the true figures of the deaths ...........
You can rest assured that the usual suspects on here will be ready to say the UK has the worst everything and is doing the worst etc. etc. Irrespective of facts. Just think of them as cheerleaders, but in reverse.
And sure enough it materialised lol
The Irony, is too much :lol:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

processed.jpeg
processed.jpeg (77.19 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Tell me what, if anything, the UK has done better this crisis, aside from the financial aspects?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Come back Brexit debate, all is forgiven. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:36 pm
Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:48 pm But it is constant negativity, every time we hear the daily death toll. It's not too early to know the figure to date but they've been massaging the figures to make the death toll appear lower than it really is, they know what they're doing and should be held to account now, not in 100 years.

Jim
So you are disputing the opinion of a professor at Cambridge University who says it too early to know the figure?? If you are interested in holding governments to account then please do so, include France, Italy, Spain in this as they have also massaged as you put it, the figures, rather than cherry picking. Also add Sweden to your condemnation, that way it becomes more than your dislike of a government.
If you read what I actually wrote you will see I wrote "TO DATE", why is it too early to quote what has already happened in the past and provide an accurate daily figure; if I was asking for future projections I would agree with your Cambridge Professor but I'm not asking for that, just an honest daily figure. I'm posting information from the the Office of National Statistics (ONS) and there are numerous professors who appear on TV who support the ONS findings.
By all means, please provide some positives, I would really be interested to hear what you class as a positive because you dont like us Usual Suspects posting anything negative.
Why should I question what happens in France, Spain Italy and Sweden, I'm sure there will plenty of nationals asking questions of their governments as they are entitled to do.
You can blindly follow or hold governments to account; I prefer the latter.

Will have to start calling Hudswell, Lazerus, he's come back from the dead again.
Fancy having your new pen name as an Ancient Dalmation Cavalry Comander.

Jim
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

On a positive note there are more than 67 million people alive in the UK today. At least that is what one of the population websites gives out as a figure, and at a guess that is +/- a few hundred thousand.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Do you vote in the UK elections? If yes, then fair enough, but if you don't, like I believe HiC doesn't (and I am not talking about Brexit votes) then commenting on the UK is the same as commenting on US, France etc.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:19 am Do you vote in the UK elections? If yes, then fair enough, but if you don't, like I believe HiC doesn't (and I am not talking about Brexit votes) then commenting on the UK is the same as commenting on US, France etc.
I pay a lot of taxes; does that count? And that was another broken promise by the present party in power about letting overseas citizens have continuous voting rights.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:00 pm
Dominic wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:19 am Do you vote in the UK elections? If yes, then fair enough, but if you don't, like I believe HiC doesn't (and I am not talking about Brexit votes) then commenting on the UK is the same as commenting on US, France etc.
Whether you vote or not,if you are British you still take interest in your birth country more than others I think
Taking an interest is one thing, many of us do that. But being so hyper critical of what the Government does when you don't vote in the elections is another matter.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:56 am It seems the 250 respirators they bought from China turned out to be a load of rubbish and had to be scrapped: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/entire-order- ... 52673.html
That says more about China than NHS procurement.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:37 pm
Les Bean wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:00 pm
Whether you vote or not,if you are British you still take interest in your birth country more than others I think
Taking an interest is one thing, many of us do that. But being so hyper critical of what the Government does when you don't vote in the elections is another matter.
I have a lot of family in the UK and if I believe the government is being negligent and possibly putting their lives at risk I have every right to be critical.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Diocletian wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:39 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:56 am It seems the 250 respirators they bought from China turned out to be a load of rubbish and had to be scrapped: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/entire-order- ... 52673.html
That says more about China than NHS procurement.
They make some good stuff as well, DJI Quad Copters and I phones; give them the right specifications and they produce the goods;, give them bad specs and you end up with .............

Jim