UK Government can't say it wasn't warned...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
The Aquila

Re: UK Government can't say it wasn't warned...

Post by The Aquila »

I don’t think was a government in the world that was prepared for this. Credit has to be given to the way that some governments acted swiftly to prevent if becoming worse, unfortunately the UK government is not one of those.
jeba

Post by jeba »

The Aquila wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:54 pm I don’t think was a government in the world that was prepared for this.
That´s the problem - they should have been. E. g. the German goverment had plans to prepare for a pandemic at least since 2013. They simply left it at having them rather than acting on them. And I´d guess that EU governments are sharing that kind of information among them.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

People have been warning about a new pandemic for years. You cannot blame a lack of preparedness on one government.

And society is just as much to blame. Politicians react to what society thinks is important, as that is what gets them re-elected.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nonsense. As I said, people have been warning about a new pandemic for years.

Bill Gates in 2015:

George Bush in 2005:

And its not just pandemics! Take global warming. How many reports about that have both society and successive governments brushed under the carpet?

Stop looking for somebody to blame. There's no point. All it does is just detract from finding solutions.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Sadly there will always be some who cannot wait to blame the government for anything and everything. This pandemic has certainly thrown up its fair share of social media "experts"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don’t know why you bothered typing that lot.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Totally agree the quality of the UK journalists and there repeat classroom questions are shite.
Just let the Government get on with the job and not have to put up with the junk chucked at them from the parties that are NOT in Government.
The daily Corona briefing is a classic example where some days the same question is posed by the next journalist who obviously has not listed to the answer given minutes before.
A concerned contact has told me that ---- oh I wish they would STFU.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I completely disagree with the notion the media are being negative. Piers Morgan, who I normally dislike, is one of the few to ask ministers proper questions. Kuensberg and Peston are poodles, nodding in agreement and asking pre-set questions.
The UK has the highest death per million in the world. We have 11% of worldwide deaths, on an island, with .87% of the world’s population.

`The herd immunity concept they are sill following, is sacrificing thousands of lives.

This article is very good;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... s-get-away

The ‘let’s have a stiff upper-lip and applaud our hard-working ministers is foolish beyond belief. We are behind the curve on every aspect of this.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:15 pm We are behind the curve on every aspect of this.
Maybe not on every aspect:
Q: From where you stand, how is the UK handling the situation?
A: It’s clear that testing was implemented a little bit too late in the UK. Public Health England was in a position to diagnose the disease very early on – we worked with them to make the diagnostic test – but rollout in Germany was driven in part by market forces, which made it fast, and that wasn’t the case in the UK. Now, though, I have the impression that the UK is really gaining momentum in this regard, and that it is coordinating testing efforts better than Germany.
Quoted from an interview with one of Germany´s top virologists https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -interview. It must be an older interview though as some statements aren´t up to date anymore (e. g. meanwhile there is a reliable antibody test available, validated by his lab).
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:00 pm You are certainly wrong there according to the latest world figures:-

Deaths per 1M of population:
Belgium 612
Spain 490
Italy 436
France 346
UK 299
Netherlands 257
Ireland 215

.... and the UK government has never had a policy of herd immunity, you can't get that with a 'stay at home' policy. The only herd immunity that might begin to be created is by those in the population that ignore the government's instructions and move around outdoors mixing with others.
The UK does NOT quote deaths in the community and nursing and care homes. Out last week, but the FT, from ONS figures at 41,000 total and estimated to be nearly 50,000 now.
There has always been a herd immunity policy. It was put into the background after they were forced to create a lockdown, it got so bad..., but they haven’t changed from that, hence the last minute and too late changes of tactics, like Testing and Tracy now.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-covid-19
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:00 pm You are certainly wrong there according to the latest world figures:-

Belgium 612
Spain 490
Italy 436
France 346
UK 299
Netherlands 257
Ireland 215
Looks like Cyprus is doing well , about 1M population and about 15 deaths .
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 pm

Belgium 612
Spain 490
Italy 436
France 346
UK 299
Netherlands 257
Ireland 215

.... and the UK government has never had a policy of herd immunity, you can't get that with a 'stay at home' policy. The only herd immunity that might begin to be created is by those in the population that ignore the government's instructions and move around outdoors mixing with others.
The UK does NOT quote deaths in the community and nursing and care homes. Out last week, but the FT, from ONS figures at 41,000 total and estimated to be nearly 50,000 now.
There has always been a herd immunity policy. It was put into the background after they were forced to create a lockdown, it got so bad..., but they haven’t changed from that, hence the last minute and too late changes of tactics, like Testing and Tracy now.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-covid-19
Do all the other countries quote deaths in the community and nursing and care homes?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I always find it strange that it's the usual doom and gloom.

Why, oh why don't they ever quote the figures of sufferers who have recovered ? Doesn't sell papers or make interesting listening I suppose.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's actually harder to tell.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Germany and France and Italy and other include the community deaths. As far as I know, Spain only partly. Certainly, the UK is doom and gloom, for an island. In fact, this week, they are talking about isolating people coming into the country. 15000 a day at Heathrow alone. All coming in for months with not even a check for temperature. In fact, Handcock admitted they weren’t even told to isolate.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 pm I always find it strange that it's the usual doom and gloom.

Why, oh why don't they ever quote the figures of sufferers who have recovered ? Doesn't sell papers or make interesting listening I suppose.
DAY 49
7 NEW COVID19 CASES! TOTAL OF 817. 148 RECOVERED.
PLEASE STAY HOME.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:43 pm https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... #countries

This is where I got my figures from, I believe most people use this as it is constantly updated. I consider that I am sensible not to read The Guardian 8-)
What nonsense. You are sent facts on why I stated what I did, and you refuse to read. Looking at inaccurate figures is exactly what they want and there’s nothing I can do I to change you’re mind, as it’s predicated with political bias and blind faith. Because people use something doesn’t make the slightest bit of difference, so you’re argument is poppycock. That site is great, but when some countries put the wrong figures on, then they are fooling no-one but themselves and foolish sheep like yourself.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I thought the ONS had the actual amount as 40% higher than quoted. That would put it at about 30,000 now, rather than the 50,000 you quoted.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ain-points
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If you want to look at a country that really is massaging its figures, look at Russia.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:23 am I thought the ONS had the actual amount as 40% higher than quoted. That would put it at about 30,000 now, rather than the 50,000 you quoted.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ain-points
The 41,000 was from the FT a week ago, which would put it heading towards 50,000

https://www.ft.com/content/67e6a4ee-3d0 ... 39799fa6ab