UK Government can't say it wasn't warned...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: UK Government can't say it wasn't warned...

Post by Jim B »

Being one of the "Usual Suspects" I thought all accusations covered all of us; apparently not.

It's a bit pointless promising loans if they're too late to be of any use; the airlines are a prime example where BA have announced they are making 12,000 redundant and Ryan Air 3,000. The government did promise assistance but failed to deliver and as for Virgin there's every possibility they will go to the wall but then again tax avoidance is part and parcel of Tory thinking otherwise all parties would have clamped down on it years ago.
As for half truths. well lets take this little bit you posted:

They didnt join the EU scheme because "When it was reported last month that the U.K. has not taken part in the EU scheme, Downing Street claimed it had missed the deadline because of a communication problem. The prime minister's spokesperson had initially said the government had not taken part because the U.K. was “no longer a member [of the EU]” and was “making our own efforts” but later said the U.K. missed the deadline because it did not receive an invitation from the European Commission in time." So, lay the blame elsewhere.

This has all been found to be untrue and the government were well aware of what was going on but for political expediancy they decided not to get involved.
And by the way Sweden did close its borders to persons not from the EU

Your waspish comments do you no credit.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:58 pm Being one of the "Usual Suspects" I thought all accusations covered all of us; apparently not.

It's a bit pointless promising loans if they're too late to be of any use; the airlines are a prime example where BA have announced they are making 12,000 redundant and Ryan Air 3,000. The government did promise assistance but failed to deliver and as for Virgin there's every possibility they will go to the wall but then again tax avoidance is part and parcel of Tory thinking otherwise all parties would have clamped down on it years ago.
As for half truths. well lets take this little bit you posted:

They didnt join the EU scheme because "When it was reported last month that the U.K. has not taken part in the EU scheme, Downing Street claimed it had missed the deadline because of a communication problem. The prime minister's spokesperson had initially said the government had not taken part because the U.K. was “no longer a member [of the EU]” and was “making our own efforts” but later said the U.K. missed the deadline because it did not receive an invitation from the European Commission in time." So, lay the blame elsewhere.

This has all been found to be untrue and the government were well aware of what was going on but for political expediancy they decided not to get involved.
And by the way Sweden did close its borders to persons not from the EU

Your waspish comments do you no credit.

Jim
My waspish comments as you put it are in response to what I read on here. As to the airlines, Ryanair, according to Forbes magazine is due to post profits of almost one billion euros this year.https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesasqui ... b149a64b86

As to B.A. they have been in a mess for years now, just ask the staff who work for them, I do.

My comment regarding the ventilator scheme was taken from here, read it and decide for yourself.https://www.politico.eu/article/britain ... political/

Let's face it, no matter what a Tory government does, you will always be against it. That way it will save a lot of discussion when the next issue comes up. :-)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Re. Waspish Comments. It's really quite simple, you don't have to read comments that you disagree it with; just keep out of the politics section like I keep out of other chats.

The EU mass purchasing Scheme has been well covered by the media with the EU taking to task the government over their misrepresentation of the facts.

As for the airlines, I won't try to dispute your comments though my point was the government promised to help the UK airlines through the crisis and up to now have done nothing when many other countries have stepped in to support their airlines.

You're getting confused with my disdain for this particular government and a general dislike of the Tory Party. The Tories used to have members who were as far as politician's can be were honourable. The crew who are running the party now are a gang of charlatans, liars and thieves and in it for what they can get out of it.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Just one little comment to make here.

I live in one of the places worst hit during the recent floods, (one of the so called failings of the PM). Boris was requested not to visit the area, we didn't need someone important 'visiting us', Boris, like everyone else, could see the extent of the flooding in the media.

Our emergency services were too busy to have Boris in the mix at that time, but of course, he's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.