UK Government can't say it wasn't warned...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: UK Government can't say it wasn't warned...

Post by Jim B »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:43 pm https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... #countries

This is where I got my figures from, I believe most people use this as it is constantly updated. I consider that I am sensible not to read The Guardian 8-)
Because worldometer works on the official numbers given to them and if the figure is false the result will be false. The figure shown on Sky News ( Tory Supporting Media) this morning was 45,000 deaths which is more than double the figure the government is presenting.
I would imagine everything is "Doom and Gloom" to the families of those who have died and although people have "recovered" no one knows if they cannot be reinfected so too early for happy clapping yet.
Even the right wing press are very critical of how the government has reacted, the government have even banned the Sunday Times (right wing media) from asking questions because of their expose' last weekend.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The below article from the Cyprus Mail really spells out the UK government's failure in coming to terms with CV19.
The attitude of "We should support the government no matter what" is ridiculous. Where there's failings there should be questions, the media has been very easy on the UK government and there are many questions that needs to be asked.

Jim

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/04/28/coro ... arrogance/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The questions should only be asked by those who know what they are talking about. Otherwise, how will the answer be understood?

I am referring to people in the media asking questions to the actual people in power. I am not referring to anybody here. Let's face it, nothing we say here is going to affect UK government policy. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Not all questions are scientific, as an example: "Why are the government not announcing the actual number of deaths". Even scientific questions can be asked and answered in layman's terms; I think most on here can grasp the basics of how the virus is spread, incubation, symptoms etc but the more important aspects are the response of government.
I fail to see when the total figure of deaths from CV19 is one of the highest if not the highest in Europe after being given the advantage of being forewarned of what was coming that people believe Blojo and his team are doing a good job.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I'm looking forward to when all these experts who have suddenly popped up on social media are working for WHO and governments around the world!
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:28 pm I didn’t write this but I completely agree, I am sick of all the negative journalism.
If it was Corbyn's government in power you would be all for the negativity
David
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

HIC - UK Bashing as per usual. As a so called businessman how many millions of pound worth of stock do you sit on ?? It is totally unrealistic to expect companies to sit on millions of pounds worth of PPE, Ventilators etc in the possible event of a global crisis. The CEO of one the top vaccine and immunology companies in the UK stated 3 weeks ago that up until the infections started in Wuhan Covid-19 had never been heard of although Coronavirus has been around for about 40 years but his company was working flat out to produce test kits which took 3 days to manufacture at that point in time, UK has a population of over 60M people so it will obviously take time to manufacture the amount required and calls for enquires as to why we are not yet up to speed are pointless excuses for point scoring.

As far as PPE is concerned one of the heads of the RCN yesterday stated that 11M items of PPE a day are required at this point in time - this is an unprecedented amount of PPE for unprecedented times and no group of suppliers would be sitting on this amount of PPE. The only thing I think the UK Government has fouled up on is the fact that companies have tooled up to produce PPE en-mass and are now having to sell it abroad because of the ridiculous red tape and bureaucracy which should have been dealt with first in the procurement process, officials in government procurement positions should be sacked as incompetent.

I like many could go on forever about the good and bad of what the UK government has done or has not done but its no good singling out the UK government when countries all over the world are struggling with this pandemic.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:04 pm I'm looking forward to when all these experts who have suddenly popped up on social media are working for WHO and governments around the world!
You don't have to be an expert to ask why the airports in the UK have been open through the critical phase of the pandemic just as you don't have to be an expert to ask why the UK government have been under reporting fatalities.
Everything in the garden isn't rosy and under control as this government would have you believe. Nothing to do with left or right wing politics as Austin 7 would have you believe but more to do with the incompetence of this government.
Most of the media have been going easy on Blojo but even the Mail, Telegraph, Express and Times have started being critical of the government's handling of the situation. Have a look at last night's Panorama and it may open your eyes a little.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

A link to the Panorama programme.
Another question raised asks why the government downgraded CV19 from the most serious category of diseases.

Jim

Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Austin7 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:19 pm
Uncle D wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:14 pm
Austin7 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:28 pm I didn’t write this but I completely agree, I am sick of all the negative journalism.
If it was Corbyn's government in power you would be all for the negativity
Just for clarification I did not write that from your quote. It is the last line of the Facebook article NOT WRITTEN BY ME!
You may not have written it but you posted/quoted it, if you disagree with its content say so.
David
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Austin7 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:42 pm
Uncle D wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:36 pm
Austin7 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:19 pm
Just for clarification I did not write that from your quote. It is the last line of the Facebook article NOT WRITTEN BY ME!
You may not have written it but you posted/quoted it, if you disagree with its content say so.
It was an entire article from Facebook which I merely copied and pasted. Whether I agree or disagree with it is irrelevant and certainly no business of yours!
Just what I thought, you agree with it alright :lol:
David
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:42 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:04 pm I'm looking forward to when all these experts who have suddenly popped up on social media are working for WHO and governments around the world!
You don't have to be an expert to ask why the airports in the UK have been open through the critical phase of the pandemic just as you don't have to be an expert to ask why the UK government have been under reporting fatalities.
Everything in the garden isn't rosy and under control as this government would have you believe. Nothing to do with left or right wing politics as Austin 7 would have you believe but more to do with the incompetence of this government.
Most of the media have been going easy on Blojo but even the Mail, Telegraph, Express and Times have started being critical of the government's handling of the situation. Have a look at last night's Panorama and it may open your eyes a little.

Jim
My eyes are and always have been wide open. I've never suggested everything was rosy, nor have I brought left/right politics into it. What I am surprised about it how suddenly so many people know how to do a better job than governments around the world. :-)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:28 pm This is going around Facebook at the moment and seems to be very popular. I think this should also apply to people on forums particularly those that don't even live in the UK.(I would also add Andrew Marr to the list).

A message to all our Negative UK Press - including Laura Kuenssberg of the BBC, Robert Peston of ITV, Beth Rigby of Sky, Piers Morgan of ITV, BBC News in general and all the other negative UK press.
Journalism is missing the "mood" in this great country of ours - the United Kingdom. We do not want or need blame. We do not want constant criticism of our Government who are doing their very best in a very difficult and unprecedented global emergency.
We want and need a constructive contribution to the national effort to help us out of this crisis. We need hope, optimism and faith, with less negativity and more positive support from these journalists. It is time you all changed your negative and political rhetoric for the health of this nation and start supporting our Government.
🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧
Let's get this message VIRAL and they might just take note.
I didn’t write this but I completely agree, I am sick of all the negative journalism.
Austin 7
You may not have written it but you posted it and the whole article is in support of the Tory government and complains about political rhetoric against the Tories. You're just splitting hairs as usual.
This government has screwed up big time no matter whether they're left or right. No lies, from me, everything I've posted is factual and can be checked unlike your flag waving posts

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Jim
My eyes are and always have been wide open. I've never suggested everything was rosy, nor have I brought left/right politics into it. What I am surprised about it how suddenly so many people know how to do a better job than governments around the world. :-)
Which people are you talking about, there have been many emergency drills over the years and the government ignored all the results the last being Cygnus in 2016. It's not rocket science to put in place measures like buying the correct PPE or anything else for that matter whether you're buying one item or a million or even a billion and let's face it they had four years to get up to speed but decided not to bother and that's why the front line staff are screaming out for PPE.
As muchamuch As dislike her I wish Thatcher was in charge rather than Blojo.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jim B wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:06 pm
As muchamuch As dislike her I wish Thatcher was in charge rather than Blojo.
God help the thought! Frying pan into the fire, in trumps.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I have found that in the past, I have been pulled up by other members of PL for posting things that do not affect Cyprus.

Here we have a total thread concerning the UK and it's handling of Covid19. Here at present everyone is helping everyone else to the best of their ability. Neighbours are offering to do shopping for people who are unable to get out, ringing them up and posting note through the door offering help and checking that we are ok.

The whole country is pulling together, children are putting pictures of rainbows in windows, most people are at their door at 8 p.m. on Thursday to applaud the NHS. Notices thanking the NHS are appearing all over the place. At last a show of how we are all doing our bit for us and our country.

Some people won't want to hear that in the UK things aren't depressing, quite the opposite. The Government will be blamed by some for everything, whichever way they play it, but please may I ask that you stop knocking the UK, it's tiresome and I'm sure that you have enough to be concerned about with Cyprus. If you are British, also please remember that it was your choice to reside where you do.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Whilst I agree that the government has made mistakes in this whole scenario and which has certainly cost lives, the shortfall in PPE equipment is not down to them as they only pay the bill. The NHS England organisation is responsible for obtaining the necessary supplies and have failed miserably and this in turn has cost lives.

Leaving behind the non-funding of the whole NHS over the last 10 years for another thread, hasn't everyone and his dog been saying for ages that the NHS needs overhauling as it is considered to be over managed with not enough front-line staff. Surely the time has come after the present virus crisis is controlled to take a look at NHS England as an organisation and see where it can operate efficiently with a reduced level of overpaid managers that have patently let the UK down.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:16 pm I have found that in the past, I have been pulled up by other members of PL for posting things that do not affect Cyprus.

Here we have a total thread concerning the UK and it's handling of Covid19. Here at present everyone is helping everyone else to the best of their ability. Neighbours are offering to do shopping for people who are unable to get out, ringing them up and posting note through the door offering help and checking that we are ok.

The whole country is pulling together, children are putting pictures of rainbows in windows, most people are at their door at 8 p.m. on Thursday to applaud the NHS. Notices thanking the NHS are appearing all over the place. At last a show of how we are all doing our bit for us and our country.

Some people won't want to hear that in the UK things aren't depressing, quite the opposite. The Government will be blamed by some for everything, whichever way they play it, but please may I ask that you stop knocking the UK, it's tiresome and I'm sure that you have enough to be concerned about with Cyprus. If you are British, also please remember that it was your choice to reside where you do.
In this particular instance what is happening in the UK is affecting the tourist industry in Cyprus and the quicker things are sorted the better it will be.
What you don't appear to understand is no one I know is knocking the UK as we love our country as much if not more than you, what we are doing is criticising a government that has lead OUR country into the mess it finds itself in with thousands of deaths that should not have happened if they had been more proactive in fighting the virus instead of putting money before people

Jjim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim
Actually, you do have to be an expert. Otherwise you won't necessarily understand the answer. The solution is simple. BBC et al should employ people who know science to ask the questions. They shouldn't rely on political commentators trying their hand at a different angle.

If you want a comparison. Imagine if Peston was brought in to commentate on the next FA Cup Final, and interview the referee. What would be the point of that? He couldn't ask decent questions, and if somebody told him what to ask, he wouldn't get the reply. So the chance of asking a decent follow up would be lost.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Varky wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:28 pm Whilst I agree that the government has made mistakes in this whole scenario and which has certainly cost lives, the shortfall in PPE equipment is not down to them as they only pay the bill. The NHS England organisation is responsible for obtaining the necessary supplies and have failed miserably and this in turn has cost lives.

Leaving behind the non-funding of the whole NHS over the last 10 years for another thread, hasn't everyone and his dog been saying for ages that the NHS needs overhauling as it is considered to be over managed with not enough front-line staff. Surely the time has come after the present virus crisis is controlled to take a look at NHS England as an organisation and see where it can operate efficiently with a reduced level of overpaid managers that have patently let the UK down.
You do the usual, of interchanging England and the UK - they arent the same!