The GBP in freefall? and the reason?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Chaddy

The GBP in freefall? and the reason?

Post by Chaddy »

The UK pound was at 1.055 when I first opened my lap top this morning to enjoy my first cup of Joe.( that's what the Americans call coffee ) What is the reason for this dramatic fall ( 1.20 a couple of weeks ago ) Surely it cant be the dreaded virus because most other countries have it.....Oh and why do the Americans call coffee...….Joe?
Jim B

Re: The GBP in freefall? and the reason?

Post by Jim B »

On the news this morning the finance people said it was more to do with the strength of the dollar and Euro rather than the weakness of the pound.

Jim
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

more about the Sterling on here:

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/03/18/poun ... -30-years/

Max
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

SPECULATION
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The UK is on it's own - and outside the EU(nearly) we are vulnerable in every way - of all times to be there....

Also, the UK has done almost nothing to support the individuals and businesses. During 2008, they bailed the banks out to the tune of over £800bn. They have committed only £30bn for this crisis - the rest is simply insurance guarantees for some of the risk of business loans. Mortgage holidays aren't costing them anything. They have been appalling in their response and I am sure the markets recognise that the UK will come out of this all, very vulnerable and unable to bounce back as quickly as countries like France and Denmark who are helping people and companies.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Nasty old Labour Party in power back in 2008.That was a typically poor decision from them.
Discobolus

Post by Discobolus »

I think the problem is the currency markets are wondering where all this money the Gov is supposed to be spending is coming from, at the moment the National Debt stands at £1.84 trillion, 83% of GDP, mind you this pales against the US debt which is over $23trillion
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

bromerzz wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:19 pm Nasty old Labour Party in power back in 2008.That was a typically poor decision from them.
Rightly or wrongly at least they did something unlike the faffing around and managed panic that appears to be happening under Blojos' watch.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Went down to 1.05. Back up to 1.09 now. Let's hope it keeps climbing again.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that a measurable part of the problem in the UK is down to Boris. He isn't a decisive leader, Is not charismatic and is a poor public speaker. He has to rely on others. It seems to be government by committee with Boris seeking others advice, even when appearing on TV. Which slows down the speed at which this Govt does anything. However, having got rid of his previous, far more experienced Chancellor, he chooses a much younger man with no time to get to grips with his crucial new job. He just does Boris’s bidding sanctioning the spend, spend ethos of this Govt. lnternational money experts can’t help noticing the huge amount of money this Govt is spending in every direction. And this is really a very critical time for every country. It's a pity that both the two previous PM’s who both seemed far more sensible and capable got kicked out during the the whole shambles of the drive to leave the EU, led by Nigel Farage.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Have to disagree there. With regards to the Corona Crisis, Boris Johnson has relied on his experts. And by that I mean proper scientists. Compare him to Trump.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I agree with Dee; he's been procrastinating over the whole issue.
If a hundred experts say one thing and my expert said the opposite I would have a rethink. The Italians and the Chinese and most other countries said the UKs approach was wrong as did many eminent experts in the UK did but he carried on regardless until doing a complete U turn .it's all been about supporting the money people and insurance companies. The loss to GDP with the schools closing has been estimated at 3.9% hence the delay in doing it. Even Cyprus has said all workers laid off Will get 60% of their salary, how much have UK workers been promised; a big fat nothing to date and will have to rely on the good will of their employers.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

I think if you examine what the government is actually spending on the support for businesses and workers you will find that they are only guaranteeing loans made by banks to these people. The are not dishing out any cash themselves. They seem to forget that they trumpet the part played by these SMEs and their workers in the UK economy in the 'good' times but now when the chips are down......
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 pm Have to disagree there. With regards to the Corona Crisis, Boris Johnson has relied on his experts. And by that I mean proper scientists. Compare him to Trump.
Sorry - 'scientists' with a small s..... Her Immunity - nonsense.... partial shutdown - nonsense. .... predicting it will get worse for 2 weeks, then better - nonsense...
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

News just in..... 80% of salary for those who cannot be employed@! Well done at last!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

This morning went to the bank to get euros to pay for heating oil, the supplier asked for cash. To cut a long story short I used my HSBC debit card at the Hellenic Bank and was offered an exchange rate of 0.93 Euros to the pound; looks like the pound is taking quite a hammering and we've still got Brexit to come.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Sterling back up to near 1:13
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Apparently the Euro is weakening as the situation in Southern Italy is getting out of hand. There, very few are high earners and many dont pay tax, so government support is lower. They fear riots.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Also up nearly 10 cents on the dollar.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think currency packets over the next few months, will fluctuate as much as the stock exchanges.