Learning the lingo before moving abroad

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Learning the lingo before moving abroad

Post by Dominic »

Imagine if Cyprus followed the same logic, then thank your lucky stars that it doesn't.

I know learning Greek is desirable, and people should make an effort and all that, but if you had to learn it before arriving here to live, who would be able?

The Home Secretary has said it is "right" that people should speak English before moving to work in the UK.

On a visit to Imperial College in London on Tuesday, Ms Patel said the new system would ensure that immigration policy is back under the control of the Government for the "first time in decades".

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/politics/prit ... before-uk/
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Re: Learning the lingo before moving abroad

Post by Firefly »

I don't think that they should necessarily speak English, but they should have to be able to prove that they can afford an interpreter. We had to prove our income before we were allowed to reside in Cyprus.

The NHS is under great strain already, without thousands being spent on interpreters. The practice is often abused when an appointment is made with an interpreter, at tax payers' expense, for a non English speaking patient, plus extra appointment time, then the patient doesn't turn up ! It happens.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My wife said the most difficult part of learning Greek is conversational experience as most Cypriots tend to revert to English or Russian when communicating. Presently she is teaching a Ukrainian girl English who is fluent in Cypriot Greek and they are conversing on alternate days in Greek. It's really improving her knowledge of Cypriot Greek.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

What is pathetic is some Brits who have lived here for over ten years, and don't know the basics, hello, goodbye, thank you etc etc
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I just find it amusing that the majority of the posts I see on social media these days about immigrants and the woes they bring to "our country" from people who are apparently native British, can't write a complete sentence in recognisable English language.

It makes me wonder how they would fare if they had to take the points test....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

WHL wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:28 am What is pathetic is some Brits who have lived here for over ten years, and don't know the basics, hello, goodbye, thank you etc etc
WHL
I can manage that and also excuse me.

Jim