Remainers vow never to use Brexit coins

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Firefly

Re: Remainers vow never to use Brexit coins

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

Don't agree that it didn't tell the world anything, that's your interpretation of our battle won.

Your opinion again that it was a pyrrhic victory, personally I don't think it was too great a cost, how do you know, it hasn't happened yet, all conjecture.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jackie
As I said your claims are misleading; the Tories have no majority of the popular vote and at a 1.2% swing no one could say it was a massive vote of confidence for Brexit when most voters voted against the party advocating leave.
You may disagree but splitting the country into two camps is a disaster of Pyrrhic proportions.
As you said, yours is only a battle won.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

Jim B wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:26 pm All this gloating; a sure way of uniting the country.
Jim
and
You may disagree but splitting the country into two camps is a disaster of Pyrrhic proportions.
So what do you propose to unite the country.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Britain voted to leave, Britain also voted for a political party that would enact Brexit. I think that tells the world rather a lot.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:24 pm Britain voted to leave, Britain also voted for a political party that would enact Brexit. I think that tells the world rather a lot.
26% of British citizens voted to leave which means 74% didn't.
43% or there abouts voted for a political party that would enact Brexit and 57% or there abouts didn't and I agree that tells the world rather alot; specifically that democracy in the UK is broken.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Varky wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:14 pm
Jim B wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:26 pm All this gloating; a sure way of uniting the country.
Jim
and
So what do you propose to unite the country.
I've no idea, possibly only time will tell.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:54 pm
Jimgym wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:24 pm Britain voted to leave, Britain also voted for a political party that would enact Brexit. I think that tells the world rather a lot.
26% of British citizens voted to leave which means 74% didn't.
43% or there abouts voted for a political party that would enact Brexit and 57% or there abouts didn't and I agree that tells the world rather alot; specifically that democracy in the UK is broken.

Jim
Did the majority of those who voted in referendum vote leave? Did the conservatives win a large majority of seats in Parliament? Because you disagree with it does not mean the system is broken. Thank goodness the democratic process has finally been allowed to prevail, despite the constant, and increasingly desperate attempts by Remainers to deny, by any means possible the enactment of a democratic vote. Now that certainly tells the world something.....
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I posted below what the definition of democracy is because what the British version tells the world is that when a minority vote wins a GE it isn't democracy. Democracy is rule by the majority, something the Tories didn't have.

Jim

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/democracy
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I’ve no doubt whatsoever that you’d be singing a VERY different tune if the vote was to Remain. Just because you disagree with the result doesn’t mean the system is broken.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Unless you have a two party state you will never get a majority. But the system is what it is. It isn't new.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:48 pm I’ve no doubt whatsoever that you’d be singing a VERY different tune if the vote was to Remain. Just because you disagree with the result doesn’t mean the system is broken.
And I've no doubt whatsoever you would be singing a VERY different tune too if the result was reversed. If our voting system was fair we would have Proportional Representation but we have a loaded system that favours the Tories.
As I said in earlier posts the "Lets Get Brexit Done" supporters were only around 43% of the popular vote in the GE which is a minority and is not democratic by any stretch of the imagination. What I'm saying is that our democratic system is not democratic according to the definition of democracy.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Oh come off it. The system does not favour the Tories. What about the Blair years?

The tories are in power now not because of any wonderful performance by Johnson, but because the electorate was more afraid of a Corbyn government than Brexit. And who can blame them?

Besides, the country had a vote on electoral reform and it was rejected, by the electorate.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:47 am
Jimgym wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:48 pm I’ve no doubt whatsoever that you’d be singing a VERY different tune if the vote was to Remain. Just because you disagree with the result doesn’t mean the system is broken.
And I've no doubt whatsoever you would be singing a VERY different tune too if the result was reversed. If our voting system was fair we would have Proportional Representation but we have a loaded system that favours the Tories.
As I said in earlier posts the "Lets Get Brexit Done" supporters were only around 43% of the popular vote in the GE which is a minority and is not democratic by any stretch of the imagination. What I'm saying is that our democratic system is not democratic according to the definition of democracy.

Jim
It has been shown time and again that the Tories DO NOT have the advantage, quite the opposite in fact.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ing-system
Edward Milford says the Tories have been kept in power by first-past-the-post elections (Letters, 31 December). If anything it’s the opposite – FPTP in the UK is visibly biased in favour of Labour, and the Conservatives often have to poll much harder for an equivalent output in the Commons.

The Tories may have won in 2019, but actually by a much narrower margin than is strictly equitable – in terms of vote share, more people actually voted for Boris Johnson (43.6%) than Tony Blair in 1997 (43.2%), but the Conservatives ended up with over 50 fewer seats than Labour did in its famous landslide (365 compared with 418). In 1983, the year of the “longest suicide note in history” (since Jeremy Corbyn’s defeat, now the second-longest), Michael Foot’s Labour polled worse than the Conservatives did in their calamitous 1997 wipeout (27.6% against 30.7%) yet still ended up with substantially more seats (209 to John Major’s 165).

When Tony Blair polled 40.7% of the vote in 2001 he crushed the Conservatives with a second landslide of 413 seats, but even though Theresa May easily beat him with 42.7% of the vote in 2017 she only scraped 317 seats and lost her parliamentary majority.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

And I've no doubt whatsoever you would be singing a VERY different tune too if the result was reversed.
Jim
As I didn't vote in either the referendum or the election, I cannot quite see why you say that? I support the majority vote, and respect it. Leave won, end of. Tories won election, end of. It's not difficult.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:15 am
And I've no doubt whatsoever you would be singing a VERY different tune too if the result was reversed.
Jim
As I didn't vote in either the referendum or the election, I cannot quite see why you say that? I support the majority vote, and respect it. Leave won, end of. Tories won election, end of. It's not difficult.
If you supported the majority vote you would be supporting the 57% (or thereabouts) who voted against "Let's Get Brexit Done" because 57% is more than 43%.
Very simple maths.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:58 am
Jimgym wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:15 am

Jim
If you supported the majority vote you would be supporting the 57% (or thereabouts) who voted against "Let's Get Brexit Done" because 57% is more than 43%.
Very simple maths.

Jim
Did the 57% win more seats in Parliament? Did they win more votes in the referendum? Now that is a very simple question. I respect the majority, ie the side that won. I also respect their decision.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

It's done, Brexit day has arrived, remain is a lost cause.

It remains to be seen not only what effect Britain leaving the EU has, but also what effect our leaving has on the EU. Sour grapes from Macron on day one, I wonder if he's worried.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Just thought I would leave this here...

Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Disgraceful, they should be ashamed, but probably won't be.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Disgusting behaviour. Typical rent a mob behaviour.