Remainers vow never to use Brexit coins

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Firefly

Re: Remainers vow never to use Brexit coins

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

Brown was advised against selling by the Bank Of England, amongst others, but he went ahead anyway.

The 1.2 million who abstained from voting, probably couldn't be bothered, if you really want to vote, you will. Will you supply details of the Brexit supporters who abstained from voting, rather than voting Tory please.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Thatcher sold off all nationalised industries (almost) plus most oil and gas reserves that could have kept the UK in oil and gas for many decades. She filled the treasury to keep her policies going - but she is regarded as untouchable!

She raped the country to fund the finance centre of London and chosen industries.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jackie - answer my points then!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:17 pm Jim B

Brown was advised against selling by the Bank Of England, amongst others, but he went ahead anyway.

The 1.2 million who abstained from voting, probably couldn't be bothered, if you really want to vote, you will. Will you supply details of the Brexit supporters who abstained from voting, rather than voting Tory please.
Here's a link relating to why people didn't bother to vote in the GE, I did put the reasons in my post.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... es-turnout

And it appears that all experts confirm that Gordon Brown was right but you're not interested in facts.
You also never answered my question regarding selling off 25% of the UK gold reserves in 1970.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

I was referring to the sell off by Brown as you know, the fact that the Bank Of England advised him against it, is ignored by you.

In 1970, I was a young woman, not remotely interested in politics. I was too busy being a wife and mother.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Where did all experts confirm that Gordon Brown was right?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:21 pm Where did all experts confirm that Gordon Brown was right?
The two links I posted ( of just a sample of many) one being from the FT supported the sell off and several have also confirmed that it's a red herring rolled out by the Tory Party when they have no better argument to put forward. You can read the two articles if you wish and there are many more that come to the same conclusion.

As Jim Ward wrote, there's little comment about Thatcher selling off all our nationalised industries and I believe he's asked Firefly the question and is still awaiting a response.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

Still avoiding my point.

As for Jimgw, he will have to wait a long time, he didn't ask me a question.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:25 pm Jim B

I was referring to the sell off by Brown as you know, the fact that the Bank Of England advised him against it, is ignored by you.

In 1970, I was a young woman, not remotely interested in politics. I was too busy being a wife and mother.
Just as many points are ignored by you. He may have ignored the Bank of England but many Financial Experts agree he made the right decision.
I could say I was working in Kazakhstan trying to support my family when Gordon Brown offloaded the gold but it doesn't change the fact it happened. It just proves you're being selective in your condemnation of Gordon Brown; is that because he was a Labour PM?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:47 pm
Dominic wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:21 pm Where did all experts confirm that Gordon Brown was right?
The two links I posted ( of just a sample of many) one being from the FT supported the sell off and several have also confirmed that it's a red herring rolled out by the Tory Party when they have no better argument to put forward. You can read the two articles if you wish and there are many more that come to the same conclusion.

As Jim Ward wrote, there's little comment about Thatcher selling off all our nationalised industries and I believe he's asked Firefly the question and is still awaiting a response.

Jim

THe FT article was behind a paywall. Did you read the last line of the Mirror article?

Here it is:
A debate about how to fix things and stop blunders like the gold and Royal Mail sales might be boring, but it’s what the country needs.
So an article that is supposed to saying that nothing was wrong ends by calling it a blunder.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Oh Jim

Give it a rest will you, you're like a dog with a bone.

Think what you will of me and my opinions, I care not.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:17 pm Oh Jim

I maybe like a dog with a bone but maybe it's because you're very selective with your answers.
Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:51 pm
Jim B wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:47 pm

Jim

THe FT article was behind a paywall. Did you read the last line of the Mirror article?

Here it is:
A debate about how to fix things and stop blunders like the gold and Royal Mail sales might be boring, but it’s what the country needs.
So an article that is supposed to saying that nothing was wrong ends by calling it a blunder.
The FT link I posted was initially open so don't understand why it is now behind a paywall.
As usual I get caught out by pedantics when I should have said "many" rather than "all" financial experts agreed it was the right thing to do and the blunder was the timing and not the actual selling of the gold. Well that's how I understand it.

Jim
tonee

Post by tonee »

Lets not forget the note Labours Liam Byrne left(Treasury Secretary) when they got booted out..."Theres no money left"..And he was right!! :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think the FT might let you look at 5 links a month or something like that.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

tonee wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:58 pm Lets not forget the note Labours Liam Byrne left(Treasury Secretary) when they got booted out..."Theres no money left"..And he was right!! :lol:
A lot more than what’s there now - twice the debt after 8 years of austerity! THAT WORKED WELL! (For the rich only)
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Firefly wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:17 pm Oh Jim

Seems the size of the fight in the dog has diminished somewhat :lol:
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Uncle D

Not diminished, just bored, waiting for another dog with teeth rather than bare gums. ;)
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Firefly wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 pm Uncle D

Not diminished, just bored, waiting for another dog with teeth rather than bare gums. ;)
Now that made me laugh!! Remainers lost the referendum, lost the election and are now desperately scrabbling for something else to complain about. What a pity the don’t want to get behind the PM and support his efforts in doing what’s best for Britain.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:19 pm
Firefly wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 pm Uncle D

Now that made me laugh!! Remainers lost the referendum, lost the election and are now desperately scrabbling for something else to complain about. What a pity the don’t want to get behind the PM and support his efforts in doing what’s best for Britain.
I prefer a PM to have integrity, something Blojo sadly lacks but his lack of it doesn't appear to bother some.
What's that old saying? Birds of a feather.....

Jim