Remainers vow never to use Brexit coins

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Remainers vow never to use Brexit coins

Post by Jimgym »

Remainers vow never to use Brexit 50p coins as they accuse Boris Johnson of 'rubbing our noses in it'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... is-johnson

Prominent Remainers have vowed never to use the special 50p coins minted to mark Brexit amid claims that Boris Johnson’s celebration plans are an attempt to “rub our noses in it”.

With approximately three million Brexit coins due to enter circulation on Jan 31, the date of the UK’s exit from the European Union, arch-Europhiles have claimed they will refuse to use them.

They include Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair’s former Downing Street press secretary, who said he would be asking shopkeepers for “two 20p pieces and a 10” over the new 50p, which bears the message “peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations”.

He was joined by Labour peer Lord Adonis, who declared on Twitter: “I am never using or accepting this coin.”

It comes after the Chancellor Sajid Javid last week unveiled the coins as part of a series of events planned by Downing Street to mark the historic occasion.

Mr Javid, who is Master of the Mint, was given the first batch of coins, and will present one to Prime Minister Boris Johnson this week.
As part of the launch of the coin, the Royal Mint will open its doors for 24 hours to let people strike their own commemorative Brexit coins.

Meanwhile, on Friday Mr Johnson will deliver a special address to the nation to mark the historic day, with Downing Street illuminated with a light displayed designed to symbolise the strength of the Union and its four nations.

Union flags will also line Parliament Square and the Mall, Government buildings on Whitehall will be lit up in red, white and blue throughout the evening of Jan 31, and a countdown clock will be projected onto Number 10.

However, the preparations have angered politicians who tried and failed to prevent the UK from leaving, with Lord Heseltine accusing the Government of sowing division.

Speaking to the Observer, the former deputy prime minister said: “Brexit is the most divisive issue of modern times.

“Those of us who fought to Remain did so sincerely in the interests of our country and subsequent generations who we believe should be influential at the heart of Europe," Lord Heseltine told the paper.

"I think it is unwise of the Government to rub our noses in it by celebrating our defeat at this hour, whilst talking about unifying the country."

His comments were echoed by the Liberal Democrats acting leader Ed Davey, who claimed that the Government should not be using public money to “gloat with an expensive party”.
How very sad!
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Remainers vow never to use Brexit coins

Post by Dominic »

They had a coin when they joined, that was rather nice. So I don't think it is particularly gloating to have one when they leave. I prefer the joining coin though, as that was something worth celebrating and had a stronger image - countries linked up helping each other.

Anyway, it beats ringing Big Ben etc.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I have ordered the badge . ;)
Attachments
C79E3ECB-B37C-484A-A5F2-6D50F1CCE42C.jpeg
C79E3ECB-B37C-484A-A5F2-6D50F1CCE42C.jpeg (224.59 KiB) Viewed 6057 times
Varky

Post by Varky »

Mr. Blobby,
Get an extra one and send it to HIC :evil:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Stupid people! :(
Miloman

Post by Miloman »

hahaha love it Mr Varky
Previously MofArodes on CL
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

So who actually cares whether they use it or not ?

Sour grapes bordering on paranoia, not surprised though. :roll:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

All this gloating; a sure way of uniting the country.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

Gloating ? In what way ?

To me it proves just how childish some adults can be.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hasn't the country/government got more pressing concerns, then minting pointless coins?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:59 pm Jim B

Gloating ? In what way ?

To me it proves just how childish some adults can be.

Jackie
Totally agree

Jim
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

"In the spirit of promoting Brexit harmony, I entreat any despairing Remoaners to hand all of their unwanted Brexit 50 pence pieces over to me.
In return, I will give them 20 pence back and tell them what they are allowed to spend it on. That way they can happily go on pretending that they are still living in the EU and Brexit has never happened."
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Kingfisher.

That made me laugh, spot on though.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

No doubt they will become a collector's item when we rejoin the EU and become part of the Euro area.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:26 pm No doubt they will become a collector's item when we rejoin the EU and become part of the Euro area.
Jim
And this from the man who complained about gloating and how it might affect the unity of the country
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Varky wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:00 pm
Jim B wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:26 pm No doubt they will become a collector's item when we rejoin the EU and become part of the Euro area.
Jim
And this from the man who complained about gloating and how it might affect the unity of the country
Varky

How is that gloating, I'm not rubbing anyone's nose in anything unlike some of the Leavers comments above, just stating what will eventually happen when the younger generation take control of their future.
I've put a link to explain to you and Termites Dream what "Gloating" means, you both appear to be having difficulty understanding the definition.

Jim

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... h/gloating
Varky

Post by Varky »

Jim B wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:44 am
Varky wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:00 pm
Jim
Varky
How is that gloating, I'm not rubbing anyone's nose in anything unlike some of the Leavers comments above, just stating what will eventually happen when the younger generation take control of their future.
I've put a link to explain to you and Termites Dream what "Gloating" means, you both appear to be having difficulty understanding the definition.
Jim
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... h/gloating
Who said it was the 'gloating' part of your original comment to which I was referring. Maybe it was the 'unity' part. Even your insistence as to what will (not might) happen contributes to disunity.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Changing tack as usual Varky, if you read your post carefully you refer to both my comments on gloating and unity. The Brexit crew in the UK have to win over Remainers there, not the likes of us committed Remainers in Europe though Farages totally embarressing antics and gloating in the EU parliament yesterday isn't going to help change minds at home or away.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

We aren't really bothered about winning anyone over.

The General Election told the world how the majority feel here. Job done.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:47 pm We aren't really bothered about winning anyone over.

The General Election told the world how the majority feel here. Job done.
43.6% of the popular vote isn't a majority; the archaic UK voting system favours the Tory Party and with a swing of only 1.2% the General Election told the world nothing.
You may have won this time round but it was a Pyrrhic Victory as far as the country is concerned.

Jim