You couldn't make it up.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Re: You couldn't make it up.

Post by Jimgym »

Firefly wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:23 pm Lloyd

I remember smudger's post on here too, what a pity she doesn't post anymore.
I’ve no doubt she’d be as amused as I am at the increasingly desperate posts from certain Remainers on here. 🤣
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Alan
What I can't get my head around is someone who comes from the same city appears to support a party thats intention was to create " managed decline" and basically destroy our community. On the other hand the EU pumped in billions of pounds into revitalising an area that was basically on its knees due to successive attempts by the Tories to destroy it. I don't know if you've recently visited Liverpool, we went there last November and we were amazed with the investment and drive taking place. From the Strand, Liverpool One and other EU investments in the city it has come on in leaps and bounds since I left nearly 20 years ago.
If they waited for central government investment they'd still be waiting but the EU jumped in and brought the city back from the brink.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Merseyside were later rly the only area in the UK still receiving support for severe deprivation, from the EU. Totally ignored by the Tories for decades. It was a shithole and has been pulled up by it’s shoestrings to regain it’s pride.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jim
I worked on a project in the nineties called MEPAS which stood for Mersey Estuary Pollution Alleviation Scheme which was basically to stop raw effluent being pumped into the Mersey and as far up the coast as Workington in the Lake District. It also included sewage works up the Lune and Ribble Valley's.
The EU pumped in billions of pounds to clean up the mess and turn the beaches into blue flag. People will say it was our money but would central government have pumped the money in; I don't think so.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:33 pm Alan
What I can't get my head around is someone who comes from the same city appears to support a party thats intention was to create " managed decline" and basically destroy our community. On the other hand the EU pumped in billions of pounds into revitalising an area that was basically on its knees due to successive attempts by the Tories to destroy it. I don't know if you've recently visited Liverpool, we went there last November and we were amazed with the investment and drive taking place. From the Strand, Liverpool One and other EU investments in the city it has come on in leaps and bounds since I left nearly 20 years ago.
If they waited for central government investment they'd still be waiting but the EU jumped in and brought the city back from the brink.

Jim
Im slightly surprised you haven't mentioned Derek Hatton, who did immeasurable harm to Liverpool.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:24 am

Jim
Im slightly surprised you haven't mentioned Derek Hatton, who did immeasurable harm to Liverpool.
Ah.. But he was Labour..
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jim
Bit of a lame excuse if you don't mind me saying so and he was expelled from the Labour Party in 1986 after 3 years in power, a blink of an eye in real terms. The periods I'm talking about were pre and post Hatton when Thatcher was decimating the city and after when the EU poured money in to rebuild it.
For every action there's a reaction and Hatton was caused by the actions of Thatcher.
You can see the Tories are up to their old tricks with Merseyside; considering Liverpool is the third largest city in England have a look where the HS2 railink is going.
It looks like the city is in for another attempted period of managed decline.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:04 pm

Jim
Bit of a lame excuse if you don't mind me saying so and he was expelled from the Labour Party in 1986 after 3 years in power, a blink of an eye in real terms. The periods I'm talking about were pre and post Hatton when Thatcher was decimating the city and after when the EU poured money in to rebuild it.
For every action there's a reaction and Hatton was caused by the actions of Thatcher.
You can see the Tories are up to their old tricks with Merseyside; considering Liverpool is the third largest city in England have a look where the HS2 railink is going.
It looks like the city is in for another attempted period of managed decline.

Jim
Why is it a lame excuse? Hatton caused a lot of damage to Liverpool, and that is very relevant to the posts you originally made. Granted, it doesn't suit your argument, however please don't dismiss it as irrelevant. Hatton's behaviour was not caused by Thatcher, it was caused by himself, but then the Left are never wrong, it's always someone else fault.....
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The people voted him in because of the actions of Thatcher. The city was under control of the Liberals under Trevor Jones until Labour was voted into power.
I know he did a lot of damage but they got shot of him, aalso I never said he was irrelevant I said it was for a short period.
The EU, not the Tories bailed the city out and it was Thatcher that started the rot that allowed Hatton to grab power.
Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

At last, sensible suggestion for all the pensioners!

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The new immigration laws also affects Commonwealth countries which means Cypriot and Maltese will more than likely lose their ease of access into the UK.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

An interesting article regarding the views of the Hansard Trust on the current state of Democracy in the UK.

Jim

https://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingd ... n-history/
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Makes interesting reading about postal votes; whether it's true or not I'm not sure but what I do know is I never received my postal vote for the referendum and neither did my daughter.

Jim

https://rickycoxon.wordpress.com/2020/0 ... bour-lose/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

From that article:

Some constituencies such as Guildford (strong remain area) saw a massive postal vote turnout at an unprecedented 87%. The Tories won here in December with a margin of win of just 3,337. Eh?

The shock there is that the Tories didn't do much better than that. Guildford is Tory through and through.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I often cross swords with Jimgym over our definitions of Democracy in the UK, mine being it's unfit for service.
The below article highlights many of my concerns over how "Democracy works in the UK.
I would be interested in other opinions.
Jim

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... blic-power
WHL

Post by WHL »

As long as you have unelected Lords and Ladies sitting in the house of Lords, having a say on the Laws of the UK you can never claim to be a true Democracy, the only reason your sitting there is because, back in the day, the King/Queen gave you a bung for killing their enemy's, wake up people it is 2020 not 1220.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:36 am I often cross swords with Jimgym over our definitions of Democracy in the UK, mine being it's unfit for service.
The below article highlights many of my concerns over how "Democracy works in the UK.
I would be interested in other opinions.
Jim

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... blic-power
The author of that article published another one saying we should have more referendums. That's like trying to put a fire out by pouring petrol on it.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:56 am As long as you have unelected Lords and Ladies sitting in the house of Lords, having a say on the Laws of the UK you can never claim to be a true Democracy, the only reason your sitting there is because, back in the day, the King/Queen gave you a bung for killing their enemy's, wake up people it is 2020 not 1220.
Are you sure that it is not you who is in 1220 and not 2020? Many of the people in the House of Lords – and actually sitting there – are politicians and suchlike who have been booted up from the Commons. For the simple reason of the limited seating space, most of the people there are awake and vote according to their philosophy, when required.

I am quite happy that the House of Lords is a working part of the British institution. They function as a safety valve to prevent the House of Commons from overreaching itself. As such, it is useful and it does not really matter who sits on the benches as long as they do their job, which is what they really do do!

It is very rare now for hereditary lords to actually sit and take decisions unless they have had an active political life.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:36 am
WHL wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:56 am As long as you have unelected Lords and Ladies sitting in the house of Lords, having a say on the Laws of the UK you can never claim to be a true Democracy, the only reason your sitting there is because, back in the day, the King/Queen gave you a bung for killing their enemy's, wake up people it is 2020 not 1220.
Are you sure that it is not you who is in 1220 and not 2020? Many of the people in the House of Lords – and actually sitting there – are politicians and suchlike who have been booted up from the Commons. For the simple reason of the limited seating space, most of the people there are awake and vote according to their philosophy, when required.

I am quite happy that the House of Lords is a working part of the British institution. They function as a safety valve to prevent the House of Commons from overreaching itself. As such, it is useful and it does not really matter who sits on the benches as long as they do their job, which is what they really do do!

It is very rare now for hereditary lords to actually sit and take decisions unless they have had an active political life.
Are you serious, you are given a Lordship either to shut you up, its a scratch my back and il scratch yours, old boy, by all means have a second chamber, but an elected democratic chamber, not by being crap or bent in your job, or the PM etc owes you a favor,