UK Election

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: UK Election

Post by Dominic »

Labour wasn't remain. They were still on the fence.

The problem with the left is that they weren't prepared to club together. Had labour dropped out of seats where the lib dems were second, and vice verca, this majority would have been toast. The opposition has no one to blame for this result but themselves.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:48 pm Labour wasn't remain. They were still on the fence.

The problem with the left is that they weren't prepared to club together. Had labour dropped out of seats where the lib dems were second, and vice verca, this majority would have been toast. The opposition has no one to blame for this result but themselves.
The Liberal vote hemeoraged to Labour because of their promise of a second referendum, something the Tories were desperate to avoid. Many Remainers voted for Labour on this premise.
All water under the bridge of course but Corbyn was the albatross around the party's neck and unfortunately many of the old guard are still in denial of the fact.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

I voted Conservative, for several reasons, one, to keep Corbyn and Abbott from destroying my country, and my children safe from their terrorist friends, and two to bring Brexit about as decided by the majority who voted in 2016.

We had a referendum, we voted, we had a result, (like it or like it not) we had no need for a second referendum, and I consider that this General Election was in effect the second referendum you so desired. But then if you can't vote, what does it matter to you anyway ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Right Jacki
So you're quite happy to vote for a liar, conman, thief, philanderer and charlatan, says it all really.
And it matters to me because it affects my family; I pay British taxes so should have a say, just like you, on what happens in the UK.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

If you're happy to vote for a liar, a supporter of terrorists, who has friends in the IRA, Hamas etc, in effect a traitor to their country, and if you're happy to see Britain left broken and bleeding, which it would be under Corbyn. Then there's Abbott, who also supports terrorists, not only that, who can hardly string two words together, then God help your family.

A man who thinks everyone having free broadband is important, Ye Gods it's scary stuff.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:41 pm If you're happy to vote for a liar ... then God help your family.
If you happened to be a candidate for anything I vote for, I wouldn't vote for you, because I love my family!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil,

If you must quote me, have the courtesy to post it in full. I love my family, and as they reside in Britain, I wish to protect them from the likes of Corbyn, and his 'friends'.

If I ever was a candidate for anything, I wouldn't expect you to vote for me, but as I never will be, your opinion is of no consequence.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:31 pm If you must quote me, have the courtesy to post it in full. ...
I didn't quote it in full for the obvious reason I was making a not-very-veiled comment about the verity of your accusations. The fact that you came back at me is proof enough that you got the message. :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil

Are you saying that you believe that Corbyn didn't call terrorists his friends, or that he did not support the IRA ? The verity of my accusations is out of his own mouth.

Post as many silly faces as you like, it impresses me not. That said, you are not worth further comment.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:10 pm Are you saying that you believe that Corbyn didn't call terrorists his friends, or that he did not support the IRA ?
No, he didn't do either. What is more, you haven't a microgram of credible proof that he did, unless you count the haverings of the gutter press as proof. Yes, he tried to negotiate with them, as politicians of all colours, including your beloved Tories, have equally tried, with pretty equal results.
tonee

Post by tonee »

Corbyn supported Nicholas Muller in court(30 years for making bomb factory)he questioned the role in the security services..Fact
Corbyn stood in a minutes silence in support of the 8 IRA terrorists killed in Gibraltar..Fact
Corbyn was arrested in 1986 for being part of a pro IRA demo outside the old bailey to show solidarity for accused terrorist Patrick McGee who murdered 5 people in the Brighton bombings...Fact
tonee

Post by tonee »

Theres loads more but the lefties on here will no doubt be in denial
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:41 pm Jim B

If you're happy to vote for a liar, a supporter of terrorists, who has friends in the IRA, Hamas etc, in effect a traitor to their country, and if you're happy to see Britain left broken and bleeding, which it would be under Corbyn. Then there's Abbott, who also supports terrorists, not only that, who can hardly string two words together, then God help your family.

A man who thinks everyone having free broadband is important, Ye Gods it's scary stuff.
Jackie
Again you're surmising I would have voted Labour, you should really back read my comments on Corbyn. There are other parties out there with more ethical leaders than the Tories so you didn't just have a choice of either, or.

By the way, Labour's policies were no more radical than most Western European countries who have nationalised railways and utilities but the billionaire media moguls have brainwashed voters into believing these ideas are radically left wing.
What's wrong with the idea of free broadband; they cost next to nothing to operate once the infrastructure is in place and it's the government who's already paying for that infrastructure installation meanwhile the private providers are charging users through the nose to use it.
Yes it is scary stuff isn't it?

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil

For an intelligent man, you are in complete denial about Corbyn, which surprises me.

Proof ? I HEARD him call terrorists his 'friends' !
holitec

Post by holitec »

What's wrong with the idea of free broadband; they cost next to nothing to operate once the infrastructure is in place and it's the government who's already paying for that infrastructure installation meanwhile the private providers are charging users through the nose to use it.
Jim, There is a lot wrong with a state controlled broadband, it is the most free and open source of information available, all sides are able to see opposing views. With a state run system, just think of China, North Korea and some Middle East countries.

personally I feel that the internet should be open and not restricted, ok so you have to pay £20 to £25 a month for it to remain so. I have customers in Countries that block loads of things, you would not like to be like them, they have a difficult time with simple things like watching uk tv. Could you imagine a time when a site like this would be blocked, as it does not comply with the "approved view websites" because it has a political debate section? Yes scary stuff!

If you think that once the infrastructure is in place it is very cheap to run, I have to assume you have never owned or managed an internet provider.

Digby
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Digby
No, I've not run a provider but I've installed and maintained a full DCS system complete with internet Servers on refineries the size of Paphos and generally the maintenance costs are minimal in the overall scheme of things so I do have an insight of opex costs.
I've also worked in those countries where they block content but when you have over 88% of Tory postings where proved to be either misleading or outright lies according to the fact check sites, who's worse off? By the way the Labour Party's postings that were proved to be misleading or lies were a big fat zero.

Jim
holitec

Post by holitec »

Jim,

Is that not part of the fun of the internet, being able to fact check the postings?

Still, I would rather have a free speech and open internet than a state controlled system deciding on what I can view or see..

But actually the biggest cost in internet providers is the customer premises equipment, not the infrastructure. You would not believe how many call outs are due to customer issues, like not actually providing power the router - so you will need quite a lot of support staff to cover this - these come at a cost and so do the engineers out on the road to switch on a power switch from off to on - someone has to pay for their fuel, wages and other overheads, and customers seem to have some objection to paying a £60 callout fee to plug something in, as it is always the providers fault.

Running a business system is nothing like running a public service, there is no comparison between the two.

Digby
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:46 pm Devil
For an intelligent man, you are in complete denial about Corbyn, which surprises me.
Proof ? I HEARD him call terrorists his 'friends' !
I don't read the same gutter-press as you do. Hearsay out of context is no proof. Also, 'friend' has many meanings (An acquaintance, an associate; a stranger whom one comes across or has occasion to mention again. Freq. as voc. as a polite form or in irony - Oxford). I'm, personally, no lover of the honourable gentleman, but he is much maligned by his opponents purely because he is weak and an easy target; OTOH, I respect some of his views, notably his stand on pacifism.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil

I do not read gutter-press, and I object to your unfounded accusation. It is NOT hearsay, you can watch his statement if you wish, but then maybe you don't wish to accept the truth.

You chose to ignore what most of us acknowledge, In my opinion he is a dangerous man.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

He is, and always has been, a champion of peace, a true pacifist. As such, he has always tried to establish dialogues with those whom he believes may prefer the violent approach, such as Hamas and the IRA. He is not alone in this idea, as a number of other MPs, including cabinet ministers and one PM, have held dialogues with leaders of what are termed terrorist organisations. But, of course, you will not acknowledge these facts, preferring the right-wing mantra that their interlocutors should be in prison (or hanged) and anyone who talks with them becomes, de facto, traitors.