UK Election

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Firefly

Re: UK Election

Post by Firefly »

Jim

I did my research ;)
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
tonee

Post by tonee »

We just had the second referendum...they voted leave :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:44 pm Jim

I did my research ;)
You have to go beyond Conservative Home Jackie.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

tonee wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:53 pm We just had the second referendum...they voted leave :lol:
Considering the Tories only took 43.6% of the vote and 56.4% didn't vote for them of which 47.6% voted for the three main parties who advocated a second referendum, you couldn't say it's a ringing endorsement for Brexit. It's only our archaic voting system that allows a party with a minority vote to govern the country.

Jim

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/13/percenta ... -11898913/
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Maybe people did not know what they were voting for and we need a rerun of the General election.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

bromerzz wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:58 am Maybe people did not know what they were voting for and we need a rerun of the General election.
I'm sure the people will demand one once they realise they've been conned.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

Sour grapes even now, you couldn't make it up.

Do you really think that you are one of the few who knew what they were voting for ? How insulting and condescending. We knew alright, and that's why we had the right result.

Bromerzz,

I think your post was tongue in cheek, right ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Surely the time for proportional representation has come?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:08 am Surely the time for proportional representation has come?
Ooooh! YES! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Firefly
On the basis that some always disagree with the democratic process in the UK because a democratically run general election took place but does not suit their political ideology then yes.
Rock on Boris - get em sorted out.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Bromerzz

Well said.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:08 am Jim B

Sour grapes even now, you couldn't make it up.

Do you really think that you are one of the few who knew what they were voting for ? How insulting and condescending. We knew alright, and that's why we had the right result.

Bromerzz,

I think your post was tongue in cheek, right ?
Well tell me what you voted for Jackie, I didn't have the luxury of being able to vote and by the way 14.2 million voted for the Tories and 16.2 million voted against them which doesn't sound a very democratic system to me.
You can call it sour grapes and condescending if you wish but remember, you read what you sow.

Jim
tonee

Post by tonee »

Corbyn,McDonnell and all the other terrorist left wing labour supporters can now crawl back into the sewer they came from(any body see the picture of Diane Abbott with two left shoes on)they are history.
To the lefties on here,whatever rubbish you spout,the people of the UK voted overwhelmingly for a tory government,live with it.
Now,just waiting for the usual Brexit posters on here to continue with their whingeing(see last three years) :lol: :lol: :lol:
tonee

Post by tonee »

We are having a Brexit dinner today...it,s the same as Christmas dinner..but without the Brussels Ha!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

tonee wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:24 pm.......To the lefties on here,whatever rubbish you spout,the people of the UK voted overwhelmingly for a tory government,live with it....
in

Tonee
It's just as I wrote earlier 16.2 million voted against the Tories and 14.2 in favour, not an overwhelming popular vote as you would like us to believe.
Also said 57% voted for Remain parties against 43% in favour of leave, the younger generation don't appear to be as myopic and xenophobic as their forebears.
Just a corrupt system that favours a corrupt party. You appear to have the same problem with arithmetic as Dianne Abbot does.

Jim
tonee

Post by tonee »

I think you and your like cannot accept this word..DEMOCRACY..and there aint no problem with my arithmetic!!
Varky

Post by Varky »

JimB,
So you are saying that 57% of the population voted for Remain parties. I agree that the SNP and Libdems fall into this category but it is a giant step to say that all Labour voters are Remainers. So you are bending the truth a little.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

And what about the % vote for Brexit Party and UKIP?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Varky wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:25 pm JimB,
So you are saying that 57% of the population voted for Remain parties. I agree that the SNP and Libdems fall into this category but it is a giant step to say that all Labour voters are Remainers. So you are bending the truth a little.
Labour offered a second referendum which kept the Remain Labour voters from going over to the Lib Democrats. No, I don't say all who voted Labour are Remainers just as I don't believe all Tory voters are Leavers but they knew they would still have the opportunity to vote for their preferred option in a second referendum. I believe the figure of Remain Tories is around one third so it's misleading to say that all Tories who voted for Johnson support Brexit.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

bromerzz wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:11 pm And what about the % vote for Brexit Party and UKIP?
Overall 52.48% of voters voted for Remain parties.

Jim