Pound doing better

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Pound doing better

Post by Dominic »

Given that people posted twaddle when the pound dropped by less than a cent a few days ago, I just thought I would point out that it is now nearly three cents higher than that, at just under 1:14.

In the long term this means little, but Gandhi said we should be the change we like to see, so here is a big up for positive news. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Re: Pound doing better

Post by galexinda »

As an aside the rate was 1.12 when we returned to Cyprus five years ago.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Perhaps it’s all down to the positive work that Boris is doing....
Robert

Post by Robert »

The Aquila wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:49 pm Perhaps it’s all down to the positive work that Boris is doing....
:D :D :D
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Wait and see what the results actually are before passing judgement. Boris is known for blowing lots of hot air around which may not necessarily be the whole truth.
But he seems to be able to convince the gullible.
Lets hope that he can conjure up something which will be acceptable to all parties, especially the EU.

Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hit 1.15 today and fallen back to just under.... markets will fluctuate based on belief of what’s happening - at the moment, positive signs of a deal...
JimX

Post by JimX »

When we arrived on Cyprus the UK pound was at Cy £1.42. the few cent rise has a very long way to go, this very small rise is just spectators, I think it will fall much further once the UK leaves the EU. I sincerely hope I am wrong because my pension relies on this, unfortunately I see no good news.
Last edited by JimX on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
lionelcyprus

Post by lionelcyprus »

Agree totally.
Dominus illuminatio mea
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

JimX wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:55 am When we arrived on Cyprus the UK pound was at Cy €1.42. the few cent rise has a very long way to go, this very small rise is just spectators, I think it will fall much further once the UK leaves the EU. I sincerely hope I am wrong because my pension relies on this, unfortunately I see no good news.
That is most odd JIMX as I believe that when you arrived in Cyprus, it was the Cypriot Pound! :D Unless of course, I am getting you mixed up with someone else.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

That is exactly what Jim said, Lincoln. We were in Cyprus before CY joined the EU. At that time the pound sterling was worth a lot more than the CY pound... It was a very good time to build a house and that was what we were doing then 1999 - May 2000.,

Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I track the pound-Cypriot pound - Euro - Swiss Franc over the 13 years I’ve been involved in property in Cyprus. The average should be around 1.22 to the pound. It has gone down to 1.02 and been up near 1.40
June

Post by June »

It was never that! :)
As I recall I budgeted 75 Cyprus cents to £1 Sterling when I came out on holiday, It varied but it worked for me.
Everyone keeps going on about the 1.40 euros to the pound but that was down to the quantative easing decided by the E U
JimX

Post by JimX »

Lincoln...

That is most odd JIMX as I believe that when you arrived in Cyprus, it was the Cypriot Pound! :D Unless of course, I am getting you mixed up with someone else.

Sorry, yes of course it was nearly 20 years ago and it would have been Cy £'s not euros.Just clicked the wrong button, do we all not do this from time to time? :roll:

Lincoln you know me and my name, Jim from CL.
Jim.