Encouraging news over Brexit.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: Encouraging news over Brexit.

Post by Jimgward »

I haven't seen empty shelves but have noticed prices have risen quite a bit - especially fruit, veg and imported products.

You cannot compare Milk and Bread - as these are often loss-leaders for supermarkets.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:09 pm You cannot compare Milk and Bread - as these are often loss-leaders for supermarkets.
I don't tend to compare prices to be honest. My husband does though!
I'm one of those, I either want it or I don't.....
But, I do like my HP Beans and the only place we can buy them is one shop and that's Home Bargains at 3 tins for a pound. Everyone stocks bloody Heinz and hate them!

But certainly, we cannot complain about the price of milk either - 4 pints (2.27L) of semi-skimmed for £1.10p and we've tried the cheap and cheerful Morrisons toastie loaf at 55p for an 800g loaf but we each prefer the Warbies at double the price.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Varky

Post by Varky »

Jim B wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:10 am I wouldn't think fruit and vegetables rotting in the fields because there's no EU Labour coming to pick it is bringing costs down either.
Jim
Good point. Better than other remainers are making.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:13 pm
Jimgward wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:36 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:22 pm
Oh dear.....
And who would you vote for?
Still waiting - and you’ve been on the forum! ~choosing to have double standards?
Nothing whatsoever to do with double standards, and yes you are correct, I have been on the forum, well spotted! As I have lived abroad for over 15 years I am ineligible to vote in the UK elections.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:14 pm
Jimgym wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:22 amAs I have lived abroad for over 15 years I am ineligible to vote in the UK elections.

But in the light of what you have witnessed over the past year or two with regard to the shambles known as Brexit, if you were eligible to vote, which way would you vote?

I believe you previously said you voted to remain, but now only support the Leave cause because that's what the majority voted for.

So, given the opportunity, if eligible, which way would you vote?
No, I have never previously said I voted remain, nor have I ever even hinted at that. Just to put the record straight. As to how I would vote, that is a complete and utter irrelevance, given that I am ineligible.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:10 pm
Jimgym wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:22 amAs I have lived abroad for over 15 years I am ineligible to vote in the UK elections.

But in the light of what you have witnessed over the past year or two with regard to the shambles known as Brexit, if you were eligible to vote, which way would you vote?

I believe you previously said you voted to remain, but now only support the Leave cause because that's what the majority voted for.

No, I have never previously said I voted remain, nor have I ever even hinted at that. Just to put the record straight. As to how I would vote, that is a complete and utter irrelevance, given that I am ineligible.
No it’s not, as you mocked me, for saying I wouldn’t vote Labour or Tory and might LibDem or SNP.... that’s where my double-standards comment comes from.... you are prepared to put out - but only to mock or counter others, not to lay our own cards...
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:36 am
Jimgym wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:10 pm

No it’s not, as you mocked me, for saying I wouldn’t vote Labour or Tory and might LibDem or SNP.... that’s where my double-standards comment comes from.... you are prepared to put out - but only to mock or counter others, not to lay our own cards...
How on earth can it be double standards when you can vote and I can't? I've given no thought to who I would vote for because, well, I can't! Nothing whatsoever to do with putting out or anything else.
Varky

Post by Varky »

HIC,
I think you have made a giant leap between your opening paragraph and what was stated in the pro-remain BBC's report.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Quite frankly I'm in the 'care not' camp. If Nicola had her way, they wouldn't be part of it now. Just so long as they don't come cap in hand at a later date, wanting funding from England.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:43 pm Quite frankly I'm in the 'care not' camp. If Nicola had her way, they wouldn't be part of it now. Just so long as they don't come cap in hand at a later date, wanting funding from England.
What if it was RoUK coming cap-in-hand to Scotland? You seem to presume that Scotland is ‘poor’ and cannot survive - I can deliver evidence of the opposite.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

As far as I’m concerned unless these Leave voters are also voting in the Scottish referendum then it’s utterly irrelevant what they think about it. It is Scotland’s decision and nobody else’s.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I do not assume that Scotland is 'poor' and cannot survive, but it has certainly happened in the past that countries who achieved independence from the UK, then seemed to assume that we would still support them, one way or another.

Similarly, I would not expect England to go cap in hand to Scotland.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Oh really? Ireland as an example? Doing better than the UK. A very simplistic view. What countries have come cap in hand?

In fact, it’s more the case that Britain ‘plundered”
Other countries wealth, rather than helping them. That was what the ‘Empire’ was about.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

I live in an area with fruit farms where ever you look.

I did say in a previous thread that the farmers who rejected the housewives, who used to pick for them, in favour of cheap foreign labour, would regret it.

The pickers didn't live in grotty caravans, they lived in houses, and they were loyal, turning up every year without fail. Many are still alive and well, but I'm afraid that they are very bitter, and I doubt that they will return.

This goes to show that you do indeed reap what you sow.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly - are you harking back eons to some bygone era? Since when did society have loads of 'housewives'? Methinks generations ago, as it is now more common for two working in a family than not.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jimgw

There are still women I know who still feel bitter about their rejection as a workforce, it matters not what era we are talking about.

Women of my generation didn't usually go out to work before their children were of school age. The obvious way to earn money in this area was to go fruit picking, taking their young children with them.

What you say in no way alters the point I made, the fruit farmer truly shot himself in the foot, well and truly.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I do understand that - many employers took the cheapest option, at the cost of reliability and community harmony
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Come back Covid, all is forgiven.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

LB

The tradition of fruit picking ran in families here.

I believe that women of today would still carry on that tradition, as they had been brought up in the belief that that's what you do for extra cash. Their children played together out in the fields, with mum on hand if needed.

I appreciate that men of today don't necessarily understand how it worked, so it has to be dismissed as a thing of the past, and yes it is, because the farmers decided that it would be. Now they are whinging that they can't get pickers, their choice.

However, why we are paying unemployment benefits to people who are fit and able to work, when pickers are needed is beyond me.